“Surprised at the great location”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
North Wales
“Surprised at the great location”
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed at the Calls by accident. The hotel in which I was originally meant to stay was overbooked and it was they who put me into 42 the Calls. What a result!..after walking into the charming reception I was met by a friendly lady on reception. after checking in I was shown to my room by a porter who took time to explain the workings of the room..(a rare thing these days). My room was on the side of the hotel so probably not one of the better ones if you are after 'views'. However, as I was only staying one night..arriving late and leaving early this was not a problem. I would describe my room as quaint & quirkey just to my taste..not at all the usual corporate/franchise type. The hotel is only 5 mins walk to the rail station and is just far enough away from the main centre to avoid all the vehicle access problems associated with Leeds. This will be my first choice Hotel when I return to Leeds.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Mudgedog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Derby, England
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Just getting over a night at 42 The Calls. I won't repeat the contents of previous review. We loved the service, delicious food and attention to detail, but I just couldn't sleep in the super soft bed with it's squashy pillows.

• Stayed April 2010
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We've stayed on over 5 times in the last 8 years. The overall quality,friendlness and service are very good- particulary the cotton sheets and the braissere at 44 The Calls. Unfortunately the lack of double glazing leads to a very disrubted nights sleep!!!!!! Probably the most disrupted nights sleep ever (apart from Christmas party season in a Travelodge) Would only return again if better sound insulation was provided

• Stayed April 2010
UK
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Stayed here since hotel usually stay in when in Leeds was full. Had had a tough day at work but when I walked through the revolving door of 42 The Calls, my mood lifted... was greeted by a very friendly receptionist and offered a complimentary glass of wine. Was then shown to room right at the back of the hotel, overlooking the river. The room was best described as "shabby chic", the decor was perhaps a little chipped and scuffed here and there but the room was spotlessly clean and full of little touches that made you laugh - a world away from your typical hotel chains. For example, the handsoap was a novelty frog-shaped soap. The door key was a carved animal. There's a fishing rod in the room, in case you want to try your hand at catching your dinner from the river outside your window.There was a fun-size box of smarties left on your bed. You have a handy "privacy hatch" next to your door (basically a 2-way cupboard, so you can get your breakfast/paper etc delivered without having to answer the door (and if you leave your shoes in here at night they take them away and polish them, returning them to your hatch in the morning - just like elves!).

You can order hotel room service or can order from the menu of brasserie 44 next door. The hotel forgot part of my order, but were very apologietic about it and both tthe receptionist and the waiter came to say sorry and see if anything they could do instead. Actually this incident made the stay more personal too - was nice & refreshing to feel you were talking to real people who did make mistakes but genuinely wanted to put things right again, not some mechanical 2D staff like you can get in other hotels.

Was nice having the river outside - when on the phone at night, I noticed lights coming through my window and looked round only to see a barge full of tourists navigating upstream right outside.

Only downside was the noise. I could hear the TV from either an adjacent or above room very loudly - insulation between the rooms was poor, but luckily the occupant didn't keep this on too late. Would be annoying, though, if you wanted peace & quiet (I could hear the words of the programme)...either bad sound insulation or the occupant was deaf and had the volume on max! The windows are single glazed too, and don't close very tightly, meaning you can still hear outside noise. Luckily I stayed midweek, so heard the soothing flow of the river outside but from what I've heard from taxi drivers, there are bars nearby and a busy footbridge at the back which make it very noisy at weekends, so probably best avoiding then if you want a relaxing night's sleep.

In the morning, had an amusing moment when found myself throwing the crumbs from my breakfast to the ducks right outside my window - the quirkiness of the hotel brings out the child in you! Was then time for serious stuff again so checked out and got a complimentary chauffer-driven ride to work in a leather-upholstered jag.

Am still smiling about my stay!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 22 March 2010

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who offer us a complimentary glass of wine, which was a nice touch. A porter was on hand to carry our luggage to the room and provide us with a quick run down as to where everything was and how everything worked. The initial welcome was above and beyond the norm. We stayed in a deluxe room which had plenty of space, nice bathroom and river view. The bed was very big and comfortable. One minor complaint about the room was that it was a little warm. There were a few quirky things like smarties in the room on arrival and frog shaped soap. The mini bar was stocked. The hotel had an honesty bar but we didn't go there. Breakfast was nice and there were plenty of things on the menu to choose from. The hotel doesn't have a car park but there is on street parking in front of the hotel, which you have to pay for. We really enjoyed our stay and would certainly go back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We stayed for two nights to celebrate my mid-week birthday.

We both work in Leeds so it was convenient to arrive after a hard day at the office and check in with a complimentary glass of wine.

We booked a "Love at 42" package which included champagne, chocolates (big box of Thorntons), large bottle of lavender bath foam, rose petals on the bed and full breakfast. It is certainly excellent value and we were upgraded to "Director" room.

We settled down with our champage in our lovely bath robes and decided to order a room service meal. Unfortunately, when it arraived, the potato wedges were burnt yet soggy, the fishcakes were dry but chewy and the best thing about it was the crispy lettuce with a delicious dressing! That's the first and last time we'll order room service!! There are plenty restaurants close by but we had wanted to stay in for a romantic and relaxing evening.

We've stayed here a few time before and love the individual rooms, helpful staff, privacy hatches and handy location. There was some noise on both nights from drunken revellers crossing the bridge (as others have mentioned). We had river view rooms but I left the window slightly ajar for ventilation and we were both woken up at 3am.

We will still be back, I'm sure. The positives certainly outweigh any negatives.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
St. John's, Newfoundland
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I chose the hotel based on reviews at TripAdvisor, and took advice from others who suggested asking for a room facing the river. My room was perfect for my needs, quiet for a great night's sleep, had free wifi, and gave me wonderful comfort. I was welcomed with a glass of wine when I arrived (nice touch) and given another glass when I returned back to the hotel my second night (very civilized). The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel itself was different from ordinary. I had a deluxe room that was more than enough space. The room had teabags and a teapot (free), a free bottle of mineral water, and a small dish of caramel candies (which I didn't need, but did take advantage of). I had initially thought about staying at a hotel closer to the train station (42 the Calls was about a 7 minute walk away), but was glad I chose to stay here -- I saw a part of town that was interesting and that I may not have explored had I stayed elsewhere. Leeds is an easy city to wander around and this hotel is a comfortable distance from everything I needed in the downtown and university areas.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business