“The Foundry Restaurant”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Food and service excellent. Menu a little limited and would benefit by changing occasionally. Wine not cheap.

1  Thank Rod557

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Welcome was top class, wine list top class, food mainly excellent but slightly small portions BUT we had some disappointments. This is a very busy restaurant certainly at weekends having 2 sittings so be aware that you will be encouraged to vacate your table within 2 hours. Don't order the Brandy snap for dessert. It was so hard and in edible. I had to leave the majority of mine. The others enjoyed their desserts so seems it's just the Brandy snap dessert ! Finally we had a very uncomfortable meal trying to converse with our 2 friends. It is incredibly noisy when busy and quite noisy when quiet as it is an echoing wooden floor and no soft furnishings to absorb the sounds. For the high price we paid I expect the whole evening to be excellent and it was spoilt by the noisy atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody, I value my hearing too much.

3  Thank Gill L
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My colleagues and I visited The Foundry for our Christmas party on Saturday 1st December. When we entered we were very kindly greeted by Phil, who turned out to be the owner.
The menu is absolutly fantastic, truly spoilt for choice. Personally the Chump of Lamb is probably one of the tastiest dishes I have had in a long time. Everybody else enjoyed there choices too.
At the end of our meal, we weren't rushed to vacate out table despite it being very busy and were able to enjoy the cheese platters which were amazing.
In summary, the service from Phil and his team was impeccable, the food was outstanding and the atmosphere was welcoming.
I'd absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone and I'll definetly be going back.

1  Thank LesleyMayers
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Me and my girlfriend went for dinner to the foundry on last sat for dinner. I moved to Leeds last year and so far this is the best place I have had a meal in Leeds. We had the scallops and tune sushi for starts (A MUST) we followed this with the steak and pork. In most of these exclusive restaurants when you get a meal at that are about two mouths full this is NOT at the foundry the meals we great and normal size. We then had some ice cream and eton mess. I would also recommend the wine of the month great value wine. Over all this was a great place to spend some of my bonus and I will be doing it again and again.

The staffs were some of the best I have seen always with a smile on their face and looking like they enjoyed being there. Phil (I think that is his name) who is one of the owners was very welcoming when we arrived and made sure everything was what we expected.

Overall there is not much more I can say about the foundry but a must try.

1  Thank Simon K
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was a second visit, having had a really good meal earlier in the year.
The start was very promising, fast friendly service, the pig's cheeks were delicious.
The main course came promptly too. The two fillet steaks were great, one medium rare, as ordered and one well done, also as ordered. My son's lamb was a bit tough in places and my other son's partridge was on the dry side, but nothing disastrous.
By the time we ordered dessert the place was buzzing. Very full, very loud, staff whizzing round to keep up. Service slipped massively at this point. After waiting what seemed an eternity (about half an hour) after ordering desserts I asked a member of staff to check out their status, whereupon they were produced. This was where the first real disappointment set in.
My wife's brandy snap was so thick that she had to hammer at it repeatedly while on the plate to get it into some kind of eatable shape, but when she got it in her mouth she realised she'd made a mistake as she just could not bite through it. She gave me a bit to try, in case she'd had a sudden attack of weakness but no, the thing was inedible. She'd had a brandy snap on our prior visit, when she'd found it delightful in every way, so this was a big contrast. It wasn't the worst disappointment though.
The worst disappointment came when we brought the matter to the attention of a chap who I think may have been the maitre d' - a bit hard to tell. He dismissed the complaint, offered no alternative or refund and that was that. We were left feeling like he considered us to be complaining over nothing. Sorry, Foundry Wine Bar, but we need better than that when we are paying you £140 for a meal.

3  Thank Immlang