“Friendly Hotel”
Review of The Avenue Hotel

The Avenue Hotel
Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 21 May 2014

George who I guess is the owner is a really nice guy who made our stay for two nights as comfortable as possible. He served the breakfast too and it was spot on. The room was adequate with TV and tea making facilities, but the bathroom could have done with some maintenance with an annoying cold water tap that didn't turn off fully.
Nicely located 2.2 miles from the city centre with free parking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Hi stayed at this hotel last night for my daughters hen party there was 20 of us the service we received was fantastic. Lovely family they couldn't do enough for us, the rooms were ok spotlessly clean but could do with a little modernisation. The food was lovely and they had it ready nearly as soon as you were seated. Highly recommend thank you xx

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Don't be put off by the area. This hotel, though old was everything I could ask for. Comfortable, warm, clean room and very friendly owners/staff. There was plenty of hot water for the shower (which was very clean, along with the sink and toilet). I was staying by myself whilst husband was in 'Jimmys' and after leaving the hospital didn't want to go out looking for somewhere to eat, so I asked if they could provide a meal. They said it was no trouble and I had an excellent hot meal and pot of coffee. I also had a great 'full English' breakfast the following morning. All food being excellently cooked. The owners are very friendly. This was an excellent place for me to stay as it is only 5 minutes drive from the hospital (I left the car parked at the hospital and taxied to and from the hotel as I don't know Leeds well. Taxi's are readily available). So pleased to have found it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I am not normally one for writing reviews but I feel I must comment on how much I enjoyed staying at this hotel.

A group of 10 of us stayed here this weekend for a friends birthday and from the moment we arrived the staff did their utmost best to make us feel at home.

I stayed in a four bed room and although the decor was pretty dated the room was clean and cosy.

I cannot begin to explain how lovely the staff were. I have never received such great service in a hotel before and would not hesitate to stay here again!

Thank you for a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Hollyrobertsx
adriatichotel, Owner at The Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

What can I say but "wow" thanks for your kind words and a true reflection of the hotel. I hope we can be of service again!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My boyfriend and I picked this hotel as it was cheap (£49) and close to Leeds uni. Arrived and were met by the couple who clearly owned the hotel; they seemed reasonably friendly.

The room was very old, the wallpaper peeling off. It was very small with an odd smell. Very dusty and unclean. Stains and hair on the bedding. Dirty bathroom with a bug in the bath. The building felt unsafe.

After a brief discussion we decided this room wasn't what we had paid for and unacceptable to stay in overnight. We went down and asked the couple for a refund at which point we were told the manager would possibly be in tomorrow. We were refused any sort of refund and it was unclear as to who the manager was and when they would be present for us to speak to them.

My boyfriend was told he was being too "diplomatic," after trying to discuss the issue politely and calmly.

When asked why we wanted the refund we were told, " what do you expect for a cheap hotel in the centre of Leeds?" and to the state of the room, " we can't help the stains on the bedding." We were told a sob story of how they get taxed at a high rate and the booking company take commission.

The man became increasingly agitated and aggressive and told us to leave our keys; we were no longer welcome. He said by requesting a refund we were, "wasting our time." He told us to leave or he would phone the police, which we were shocked by. We had remained calm the whole time.

After what had been a long day we left intending to return tomorrow to speak to the elusive said manager and went to stay at the Premier Inn nearby which only cost £60!

My boyfriend returned the next evening having read over our consumer rights. The man was present once more. To cut a long story short, my boyfriend was told that we had no rights amid a torrent of explicit abuse directed at both of us. Despite calmly explaining that as the matter was not being addressed we would be going through trading standards the man again became very aggressive, Turns out he was the manager.

The man was very confrontational and despite my boyfriend stepping back and trying to diffuse the situation he became physically violent; pushing him all the way out of the hotel and off the drive whilst shouting and swearing. He was again claiming to call the police. Nearby neighbours came out to see what the fuss was.

Due to being assaulted, my boyfriend called the police and reported the incident. We are currently pursuing our refund via trading standards.

Would advise all not to stay at this hotel, it was a stressful and upsetting end to an already challenging weekend for the both of us.

Please try to treat your paying guests with respect next time.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank J_P473
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I had a one night stay at the Adriatic Hotel and I couldn't have asked do nicer staff...both the owner and the man on reception were lovely and very willing to help. The room was basic and the decor is very dated but fine for a short stay. The shower was very hot and I couldn't seem to turn it down but better hot than freezing cold in my opinion

Stayed: February 2014
adriatichotel, Owner at The Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your kind words and sorry about the shower. We checked and found that the washer needed replacing, which we did. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed with a friend over Valentines weekend when all the other hotels in the area were £90 +
We had a v clean double room for £49 and were v pleased. Owner v friendly. Would definately stay again.

The location is slightly out of tiwn however only a short taxi journey and only 5 mins drive away in Chapel Allerton with a good selections of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank elaine_duncan

Thank you for your kinds words and a true reflection.