“never again”

Ranked #72 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“never again”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

we had stayed in a glorious hotel the night before. so guess we were spoilt. didnt think hotels still existed like the beechwood. 65 pounds far too much. shabby room smelly en suite. needs complete makeover. clean bed linen and reasonable breakfast. thats it. never again and i only wish i had been able to discuss this with the owner. had been booked for us by local friends so definetely never A recomendation again by them or us. please get your act together.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Scotland
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Not fancy or pretentious but absolutely fine. I had a comfortable two night stay in this small family run hotel. The room had tea/coffee making facilities, tv and ensuite shower. There was not a telephone in room though as I had mobile this was not a problem. Room was quiet and clean and radiator could be switched on or off. Breakfast in the morning consisted of tea, toast,cereal, grapefruit segments, orange juice, full english breakfast or whatever you want. Food was freshly made and served with a smile by the owner in a spotless dining area. I had booked a single room but was allocated a large room with a single bed and also a double bed. A pleasant stay and I would be happy to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FlamingoScotland
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I have never, ever written a review before. Typical British I guess, say everthing is ok but moan in private. However after a stay at this hotel I just felt I had to do something. This place needs a complete refit and refurbishment. New carpets are needed throughout (mystery stains everywhere), all walls need painting (chips, scrapes all over the place) and I am truly bemused as to where they got the furniture from. In our room we had a bar stool as one of our seats! My friend's television was precariously balanced on a hostess trolley from the 1970s! The window frame in our bedroom was cracked and peeling, as the bedroom was on the back it clearly didn't deserve double glazing the front rooms had!!

Breakfast was from 8am - 9.15 (on a Sunday) consequently most people arrived at about 9am and found they couldn't be seated. One group was asked to 'vacate as we have others waiting'! Er hang on I've paid, I'd like to sit here and finish. One poor visitor had to take her toast with her.

This place was at best a very poor to average B&B it shouldn't be advertising itself as a hotel and to charge £65 is shocking. To be fair the bed was clean, and it's location for Roundhay is handy. Lots of eating places nearby - but these things do not a 3* hotel make. Re-carpet, re-paint, go to ikea (argos even!) and get matching furniture that's not from the 70s. Have respect for your visitors/guests who having looked at your website will have be enconned like my friends and I.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Brighton , East Sussex
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Was booked to stay one night in Feb, got to the place no one about so had to call a number listed on the front door. No answer, had to wait 20 minutes for owner to return to be told he had been taking his son to rugby.
Got to my room, looked round, very small room, and got straight out. There was no way I was staying there. Very gruby and no way is this hotel, its a pretty shabby B&B at the best,

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rhodesiabill
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We chose the hotel for its convenient location for Roundhay and local amenities which were good. But, our room was cold, with no hot water for the first 3 hours. The room was shabby, the bathroom was more like a cupboard with a door that neither closed properly nor locked. There were bits falling off the shower and the towel rail.The breakfast room and lounge had mould stains and plaster falling from the ceiling. All the carpets were stained. This hotel is very poor value for money and would be more accurately described as a Bed & Breakfast establishment. We will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Stayed 2 nights in Beechwood Hotel. Couldn't check in until after 6pm and was met by young son of owner who didn't know where his mother was! Room had 2 double beds (only 1 made up) and an en-suite with sliding door! Bathroom was small but clean; room was clean but carpet felt sticky and very unpleasant, wardrobes were damp and musty, room therefore smelt very stale. Walls very thin so could hear neighbours as if they were in our room! Breakfast room was small and cramped but fried breakfast was good with grilled bacon. Everywhere you looked, ceilings plaster falling down, paint peeling, etc. Hotel needs a complete overhaul and investment. Owners trying hard but hotel building really letting them down.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Kent, UK
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Unfortunately I didn't read trip advisor before I booked this place - sadly for a funeral with my sis and mother. It was so bad - water-stained ceilings, mould in the showers, rooms suspiciously full of revolting air fresheners, a huge hole in the bathroom wall, dripping taps, plaster coming off, everything unbelievably shabby and dirty-looking - that we decided to leave. I had given the man - who had seemed nice and friendly - my credit card over the phone and he insisted we pay full price for the rooms we booked. This should have one star at the most - do NOT be fooled by the rating it has. It should be a backpacker hotel and priced accordingly. It doesn't cost much to paint rooms, freshen beds and change drooping curtains, etc, so why don't they do it?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family