“Good hotel”
Review of Beechwood Hotel

Beechwood Hotel
Ranked #74 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed here for two nights. The room was well equipped and clean. The situation, near Roundhay Park and close to a good bus service into central Leeds, is great. The breakfast was all that you could wish and the coffee was especially good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 September 2011

The hotel is undergoing considerable refurbishment work and the owners work very hard to ensure that this doesn't impinge on their guests. The hotel is therefore a 'work in progress' and the tariff reflects this.
The hotel is set in a lovely garden and is very close to Roundhay Park with its lakes and rolling vistas. There are plenty of high quality restaurants within a very short walk from the hotel; we tried two and were very pleased.
The hotel is very accessible being only a couple of hundred metres from the ring road and with frequent buses to the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The hotel is in a dreadful state, looks like nobody has spent any money on it for 50 years. There has obviously been major water damage which has never been rectified. There are mysterious stains and peeling paint everywhere. We wondered if the ceiling of our room might fall down in the night!!! (It didn't).

Good points: The owners were friendly. The breakfast was nice. The room was a decent size. The bedlinen felt weirdly luxurious compared to the rest of the place and was ironed to within an inch of its life. The hotel was happy to have my dog stay overnight and charged an extra fiver for this which I thought was not unreasonable.

Bad points: Building was in a state of dilapidation. I have no idea what the owners spend the B&B fees on but it's not the upkeep of the property! They had booked myself and companion into a double when I had stated a twin on the phone. We were allocated a twin but with only one towel, we were promised another whilst we were out during the evening but this didn't materialise. Payment was asked for the previous night which I've never come across before but perhaps the owner has had people doing a bunk after staying. Thin walls, it was noisy in the morning with doors swinging plus the location on a busy road meant it was noisy with traffic through the night too (we had a room at the front).

The long and short of it is, if I had to stay in Leeds again, with my dog, and could not find a more conveniently located hotel, I would go back. If I was travelling without my dog I would not go back.

It's a shame the hotel is so poorly maintained since it has the potential to be quite a grand place. Large, good location, nice garden, private parking. But it needs a LOT of money spending on it and one can only assume the owners do not have a budget to do that. Sad.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Artemis-Whitby
Reviewed 30 May 2011

we had stayed in a glorious hotel the night before. so guess we were spoilt. didnt think hotels still existed like the beechwood. 65 pounds far too much. shabby room smelly en suite. needs complete makeover. clean bed linen and reasonable breakfast. thats it. never again and i only wish i had been able to discuss this with the owner. had been booked for us by local friends so definetely never A recomendation again by them or us. please get your act together.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Not fancy or pretentious but absolutely fine. I had a comfortable two night stay in this small family run hotel. The room had tea/coffee making facilities, tv and ensuite shower. There was not a telephone in room though as I had mobile this was not a problem. Room was quiet and clean and radiator could be switched on or off. Breakfast in the morning consisted of tea, toast,cereal, grapefruit segments, orange juice, full english breakfast or whatever you want. Food was freshly made and served with a smile by the owner in a spotless dining area. I had booked a single room but was allocated a large room with a single bed and also a double bed. A pleasant stay and I would be happy to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank FlamingoScotland
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I have never, ever written a review before. Typical British I guess, say everthing is ok but moan in private. However after a stay at this hotel I just felt I had to do something. This place needs a complete refit and refurbishment. New carpets are needed throughout (mystery stains everywhere), all walls need painting (chips, scrapes all over the place) and I am truly bemused as to where they got the furniture from. In our room we had a bar stool as one of our seats! My friend's television was precariously balanced on a hostess trolley from the 1970s! The window frame in our bedroom was cracked and peeling, as the bedroom was on the back it clearly didn't deserve double glazing the front rooms had!!

Breakfast was from 8am - 9.15 (on a Sunday) consequently most people arrived at about 9am and found they couldn't be seated. One group was asked to 'vacate as we have others waiting'! Er hang on I've paid, I'd like to sit here and finish. One poor visitor had to take her toast with her.

This place was at best a very poor to average B&B it shouldn't be advertising itself as a hotel and to charge £65 is shocking. To be fair the bed was clean, and it's location for Roundhay is handy. Lots of eating places nearby - but these things do not a 3* hotel make. Re-carpet, re-paint, go to ikea (argos even!) and get matching furniture that's not from the 70s. Have respect for your visitors/guests who having looked at your website will have be enconned like my friends and I.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Was booked to stay one night in Feb, got to the place no one about so had to call a number listed on the front door. No answer, had to wait 20 minutes for owner to return to be told he had been taking his son to rugby.
Got to my room, looked round, very small room, and got straight out. There was no way I was staying there. Very gruby and no way is this hotel, its a pretty shabby B&B at the best,

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business