“I would stay again!”

Ranked #73 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“I would stay again!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner travelled to Leeds and stayed at the beechwood on a sat as we were attending a local birthday party that evening. Originally we were going to stay at a farmhouse up the road but decided to stay at the beech house because of the friendly good customer approach received by the owner over the phone. She was helpful and polite and reassured us that there will be nearby pubs, restaurants and shops in the area. I must admit I was a little apprehensive upon arrival due to all the negative reviews stated on this website. Although the hotel is dated and cold, the room we got was large with tv, tea and coffee making facilities and an ensuite bathroom. Beware, the bathroom is small and the hot water tap can get really hot! The shower is a power shower and nice. The bed was really comfortable we didn't want to get up! A small problem was that we were in bedroom 2 and it can get quite noisy when people are up to go for breakfast. We could hear people talking as we were next door to the room. All in all I have given a rating of 5 because of the helpful owner who tended to our needs and allowed us a late checkout. It may not be the best hotel but good customer service can go a long way. Another bonus is that the hotel is a few minutes walk from tropical world, roundhay park and a lovely pub called roundhay fox where we went for Sunday dinner. 'Twas a good weekend, Thanks!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nurse7878

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Breda
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I love staying at the Beechwood. Friendly, welcoming, and catering to the travellers needs. Spic-and-span clean, this hotel is run by people who really truly care about their guests. Don't be put off by the casual appearance on the outside; the welcome inside is true and the value is completely fair.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel have better wifi access.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sunjooadvani
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked online via Late rooms, had appointment at nearby hospital, all I needed was warmth, comfort and Wi-Fi...I got none! No soap! No hairdryer! Upon arrival I was kept waiting 11 minutes in a make-shift doorway come flap/desk, couldn't find my booking, apparently there was no booking for me, luckily, or unluckily, they had one room vacant, informed quickly that breakfast was extra...:-/ proprietors seemed very nice, but 3 weeks later telephoned me twice and threatened me with legal action if I did not remove this review. I am well traveled and always give honest reviews, I was not angry, or upset, I was just very uncomfortable there, but was accused of 'venting my spleen'
The window was soaked in condensation, screws stopped them from opening, there was a car virtually touching my window cill, in the rubbish strewn back yard. I dreaded it moving during the night, single glazed and rotten, I've taken photo's of lots of dirty, mouldy areas, around windows, curtains, en-suite, wardrobe and ceiling. draught comes down chimney and from large vent on wall. It has a hotel 2 star rating, which had simply been 'put there' it should be removed immediately, it is definitely NOT a hotel and they need to be honest with the advertising of it as such, it is rooms in a house. Central heating came on at 4.30pm and was off by 8pm, I asked for and was provided with a tiny elec radiator, useless, I was frozen, barely slept in heavy jumper, bed felt damp, bedding and towels were beautifully clean, they brought a bath mat at 8pm? I didn't ask for! I got 2 early wake up calls? I didn't ask for! Wi-fi not possible at all and my room was just across the passage on the ground floor, adjacent to there wireless router. I was told it was such a nice day that I could sit in the garden to do my work on laptop, as that was closer to the hub.
I spent £60 on a wi-fi dongle because I needed to work online and had decided to rest and work quietly. Breakfast room was next to mine, the clatter started at 6.30am, I could hear every door and sound from around the old, worn out building. Beautiful 'house', in a great location, needs thousands spending on it. I spent 4 hours, keeping warm in nearby cafe and shops, which were very handy.
I've stayed in 4 and 5 stars around the world for less money. I charged £25 B&B at my old business and it was like a palace in comparison. I canceled my 2nd night, it was refunded Thank You! Late rooms then blocked me from leaving a review on their website and ignored my emails. I'll never use them again either, as their description of this house was not true!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and avoid this un-loved, un-looked after house
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Sandymno1

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Room very cold and outdated. No heating and so cold bed felt damp. Room stank of damp but was very clean. Looked like no money has been spent on this "hotel" since the 80's. Breakfast ok. Would not recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank robson87
Liverpool
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This isn't really a hotel it is more like an old fashioned boarding house. If you want some nostalgia this is the place for you. Holes in wardrobes, holes in walls, woodchip everywhere old tired and smells a lot like it needs a really deep clean. It has no stars so don't be fooled by the English tourist board sign outside the front door or the 4 stars painted on its very old sign. It self certifies itself with 2 stars but not sure why it feels it has these two. At £75 for a room and breakfast for 2 it's very overpriced. And if you dont think it is you must stay in some expensive places. Thankfully we stayed for just one night and didnt risk breakfast. We are not really sure what was going on in the room above but it was very noisy at midnight and I still can't decide why people were going out at 12.30am and coming back at 3.15am (or maybe I can) but being in the ground floor room next to the front door listening to it slam often, meant we didn't rest much. There were people outside our window talking on mobiles and smoking so I wouldn't recommend room 1. Yes the sheets and toilet were clean and the towels freshly washed (they were on the line in the front garden this morning). And I don't expect a chocolate or somebody to turn my sheets down and make swans of my towels but I do expect a room that is a little more up to date maybe noughties as opposed to the eighties. I could go on and on about the dangerous bathroom and cheap fittings but I won't. This is a great property in a brilliant place and its so sad. I visit lots of hotels and even have a holiday home myself so I know what a money pit they can be but this could be so much better.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grengee
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed there last Summer when we needed a last minute extra night on a stay in Leeds, and can have no complaints whatsoever; it was actually much nicer than I was expecting for the money. I've read some of the reviews posted by others, and really begin to wonder what's wrong with people.

Admittedly, some of the curtains may be droopy, there is no hair-dryer in the room, no chocolate on the pillow, and no bellhop to carry your bags. If you can manage to slum it without these basic necessities of modern life though, then it's a bit of a gem.

The room was compact but comfortable and clean. Breakfast was excellent, the host was extremely friendly, and full of good recommendations. The area is also nice, with a few good spots locally. If you want a cheap place to lay your head you couldn't do much better than this; if you don't, perhaps you should stay somewhere else?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JohnMacnab
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, as a family. On first impression we were gutted but actually our room was clean, linen was very clean & breakfast was fab. The whole place is very tired looking & shabby. Desperately in need of a re-furb but having said that, we would go again as great location with fab restaurant (Napa) nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family