“Horrendous!”

Ranked #73 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Moscow
“Horrendous!”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Having read the online reviews I was nervous about the hotel before I arrived. I stayed there through necessity not choice, as I was visiting a sick relative who lives nearby.I've attached photos to back up my review so that the owners can't accuse me of being inaccurate. This B&B is simply horrendous. It clearly hasn't been decorated or refurbished for years. The bedroom is cold, damp and dirty. The bedding wasn't changed at all during my week long stay and the towels were only changed once. The carpet was possibly vacuumed three times, and the day before I left the cleaner wanted to do it, but was told by the landlady in front of me "No, there's no need, I gave it a good vacuum yesterday". The cleaner challenged her and said it needed doing, but she was told not to do it.There were cobwebs all over the doorframes and lamp shades, and the skirting boards were filthy. There was a dead moth on the ceiling that was there all week. Dangerous, broken plug sockets and a stained shower added to the overall poor state of repair. Peeling wall covering in the ensuite was also not nice to see.After two days I was asked to move to another room as a new guest with a lot of luggage was arriving. I wasn't prepared to move to a smaller room, and refused. If the landlord wishes to threaten me with legal action as he did with another reviewer, I will happily send my photos to the relevant authorities to get their views. The place is vile, and is not cheap.Decorating and new equipment costs money, but basic hygiene costs nothing.Avoid.

8 Thank steve17360

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I needed to stay near to the city centre to visit a very sick daughter in LGI. The Beechwood is 2 detached stone houses on a very busy lane. On arrival lots of parking but exterior looking very tired but surrounded by a very large garden with tables and chairs. Slightly worried by look of main reception with it's extremely threadbare carpet. I needn't have worried. My room was large and extremely clean. All I could want, shower, soap, tea, coffee, TV. Breakfast in the small Dining room, again beautifully clean with the kitchen in sight which was also immaculate. Breakfast freshly cooked and served at your table. The owners were really helpful, ordering me a taxi and providing me with a city centre map. The weather was lovely and I enjoyed an hour sitting in the beautiful garden. Yes it is old, crumbly, dated and quirky but so would you be if you were 100 years old. Given the choice of a plastic, impersonal box in the city centre and this lovely, charming and creaky hotel, No contest. My only criticism is that breakfast is between 7.15 and 8.15. It could possibly be extended to 9am. I was also slightly disappointed that marmalade was not available for my toast. Aw well, can't have it all! I will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Loved the room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank christine r
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner travelled to Leeds and stayed at the beechwood on a sat as we were attending a local birthday party that evening. Originally we were going to stay at a farmhouse up the road but decided to stay at the beech house because of the friendly good customer approach received by the owner over the phone. She was helpful and polite and reassured us that there will be nearby pubs, restaurants and shops in the area. I must admit I was a little apprehensive upon arrival due to all the negative reviews stated on this website. Although the hotel is dated and cold, the room we got was large with tv, tea and coffee making facilities and an ensuite bathroom. Beware, the bathroom is small and the hot water tap can get really hot! The shower is a power shower and nice. The bed was really comfortable we didn't want to get up! A small problem was that we were in bedroom 2 and it can get quite noisy when people are up to go for breakfast. We could hear people talking as we were next door to the room. All in all I have given a rating of 5 because of the helpful owner who tended to our needs and allowed us a late checkout. It may not be the best hotel but good customer service can go a long way. Another bonus is that the hotel is a few minutes walk from tropical world, roundhay park and a lovely pub called roundhay fox where we went for Sunday dinner. 'Twas a good weekend, Thanks!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nurse7878
Breda
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I love staying at the Beechwood. Friendly, welcoming, and catering to the travellers needs. Spic-and-span clean, this hotel is run by people who really truly care about their guests. Don't be put off by the casual appearance on the outside; the welcome inside is true and the value is completely fair.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel have better wifi access.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sunjooadvani
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked online via Late rooms, had appointment at nearby hospital, all I needed was warmth, comfort and Wi-Fi...I got none! No soap! No hairdryer! Upon arrival I was kept waiting 11 minutes in a make-shift doorway come flap/desk, couldn't find my booking, apparently there was no booking for me, luckily, or unluckily, they had one room vacant, informed quickly that breakfast was extra...:-/ proprietors seemed very nice, but 3 weeks later telephoned me twice and threatened me with legal action if I did not remove this review. I am well traveled and always give honest reviews, I was not angry, or upset, I was just very uncomfortable there, but was accused of 'venting my spleen'
The window was soaked in condensation, screws stopped them from opening, there was a car virtually touching my window cill, in the rubbish strewn back yard. I dreaded it moving during the night, single glazed and rotten, I've taken photo's of lots of dirty, mouldy areas, around windows, curtains, en-suite, wardrobe and ceiling. draught comes down chimney and from large vent on wall. It has a hotel 2 star rating, which had simply been 'put there' it should be removed immediately, it is definitely NOT a hotel and they need to be honest with the advertising of it as such, it is rooms in a house. Central heating came on at 4.30pm and was off by 8pm, I asked for and was provided with a tiny elec radiator, useless, I was frozen, barely slept in heavy jumper, bed felt damp, bedding and towels were beautifully clean, they brought a bath mat at 8pm? I didn't ask for! I got 2 early wake up calls? I didn't ask for! Wi-fi not possible at all and my room was just across the passage on the ground floor, adjacent to there wireless router. I was told it was such a nice day that I could sit in the garden to do my work on laptop, as that was closer to the hub.
I spent £60 on a wi-fi dongle because I needed to work online and had decided to rest and work quietly. Breakfast room was next to mine, the clatter started at 6.30am, I could hear every door and sound from around the old, worn out building. Beautiful 'house', in a great location, needs thousands spending on it. I spent 4 hours, keeping warm in nearby cafe and shops, which were very handy.
I've stayed in 4 and 5 stars around the world for less money. I charged £25 B&B at my old business and it was like a palace in comparison. I canceled my 2nd night, it was refunded Thank You! Late rooms then blocked me from leaving a review on their website and ignored my emails. I'll never use them again either, as their description of this house was not true!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and avoid this un-loved, un-looked after house
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Sandymno1
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Room very cold and outdated. No heating and so cold bed felt damp. Room stank of damp but was very clean. Looked like no money has been spent on this "hotel" since the 80's. Breakfast ok. Would not recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank robson87
Liverpool
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This isn't really a hotel it is more like an old fashioned boarding house. If you want some nostalgia this is the place for you. Holes in wardrobes, holes in walls, woodchip everywhere old tired and smells a lot like it needs a really deep clean. It has no stars so don't be fooled by the English tourist board sign outside the front door or the 4 stars painted on its very old sign. It self certifies itself with 2 stars but not sure why it feels it has these two. At £75 for a room and breakfast for 2 it's very overpriced. And if you dont think it is you must stay in some expensive places. Thankfully we stayed for just one night and didnt risk breakfast. We are not really sure what was going on in the room above but it was very noisy at midnight and I still can't decide why people were going out at 12.30am and coming back at 3.15am (or maybe I can) but being in the ground floor room next to the front door listening to it slam often, meant we didn't rest much. There were people outside our window talking on mobiles and smoking so I wouldn't recommend room 1. Yes the sheets and toilet were clean and the towels freshly washed (they were on the line in the front garden this morning). And I don't expect a chocolate or somebody to turn my sheets down and make swans of my towels but I do expect a room that is a little more up to date maybe noughties as opposed to the eighties. I could go on and on about the dangerous bathroom and cheap fittings but I won't. This is a great property in a brilliant place and its so sad. I visit lots of hotels and even have a holiday home myself so I know what a money pit they can be but this could be so much better.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple