“Groupon Deal”

Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Have stayed here & eaten in restaurant before our stay in February, meals very nice
Room this time a lot better than before as we had a sloping roof which limited the space

Staff very friendly especially in the restaurant at breakfast, chef very kindly boiled me a couple of eggs which had a lovely yellow yolk. He said he didn't normally do them as people liked them cooking different ways, runny, hard boiled etc: I'm not fussy & just said any way as I was very grateful for him cooking them!

The only thing I would say is the restaurant is very dated & in desperate need of a refurbishment!

Stay regularly in Leeds & would stay again if get a reasonable rate

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your review, nice to hear you liked your room. Hope you enjoyed the boiled eggs.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

we stayed at the cornmill lodge hotel on a weekend break and had a lovely time. The rooms were lovely spacious and clean. The food was great and good value for money breakfast also. Would love to stay here again hopefully soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your review . I do hope you will stay with us again when next in Leeds.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My friend booked me into this lodge as part of a 12 person professional group, in four different rooms.

After parking in the roomy Car Park, I was worried to find a vertical drop the other side of the curb which went beneath the wooden fence, down a near vertical slope, and into a large and fast flowing river, some six feet below. As the rear of the vehicles were not lit, if you reversed into your parking space as I do, and then collect your luggage from your boot, then you could easily fall off the curb and into the river. As could any children you have with you.

After a particularly cold reception by the lady on the desk for the whole of my twelve person group, I found my room which appeared clean and simple upon arrival.

After returning from a 2 hour walk we discovered that the ineffectual toilet extraction had failed to remove the odours one would expect them to. Of which I reported.

When I took a shower, I discovered that the shower head rail was so filthy, it had BLACK grime on all the joints and where it reached the wall, the walls were dirty with streaks from many unwashed showers, the curtain failed to reach the bath and filled the room with water - wetting all my clean clothes, and the shower changed from frosty cold to scorching hot quickly and without warning.

The bed sheets were so worn, they had holes in them, though they were clean. The cups for the coffee were still filled with encrusted sugar, though the coffee facilities were fine. There was a large mass of old cobwebs in the corners of the windows. The windows function well and were draft free.

When we returned from an evening out, we asked for our room keys from the hotel porter, who handed them to us without checking who we were. No name, no ID. For the whole group of twelve and four rooms.

Breakfast was in a large hall, which the manager called a restaurant. Despite some guests being clothed in less than formal wear, and one with a hat, I was asked by the manager if I normally do not wear footwear. To which I honestly explained that I do not. My feet are clean and well kept, and I am sure more hygienic than a lot of the footwear on show. The manager answered that he considered it inappropriate, although no customer had complained. I decided to oblige once I had finished my cereal, but the manager returned quickly and, placing his arm around my neck and shoulder, and placing his face next to my ear said; "Thank you for your cooperation!"

Not only did I consider this highly inappropriate, but an invasion of my personal space, intimidating, and sarcastic. To all of which I was offended.

I then looked around the breakfast hall to see the laminate flooring around the tables so worn as to have exposed the bare MDF beneath that was black with dirt. The metal strips connecting the wood to the carpet was poorly fastened and created a serious trip hazard in many places. There were pieces of old mop head caught around the raised screws, and beneath the serving tables was disgustingly dirty and full of dust.

The breakfast was good, and the waiting staff were excellent. Though it was spoilt for my group by the behaviour of the manager, and the condition of the hall.

When I left the hotel, the group in front of me were politely disembarked, but the manager turned his back on me and walked out of the reception. Which was a great shame, because I was prepared to apologise for my foot attire, and to bring up the issues I had found in order he could improve his business. So I must bring the points up here instead.

Summary
Overall the 'Lodge' was a little tired, but generally smart. The serving and cleaning staff were well presented and seemed happy and friendly. There are serious issues of Health, Safety and Hygiene. If these issues were attended to, then the Hotel would be good value.

I would not return, and neither would any of the twelve in my party. Therefore, I can not recommend this Hotel. I have reported the Health and Safety issues to the HSA.

It is a shame that you can not upload photographs, as readers could then see the true evidence.

Health And Safety
Dangerous and Unprotected Drop from Car Park into River - Shower Scald Risk - Slip Hazard caused by Water on Shower Floor - Trip Hazard caused by poorly maintained Eating Hall Carpet Strips

Hygiene
Dirty Shower - Insufficient Foul Air Extraction - Cobwebs in the Windows - Filthy Breakfast Hall Floor - Bare Wood floor exposed and dirty - Dirty Coffee Cups

Poor Reception Skills - Bed Sheets Worn and Holed - Intimidating and inappropriate behaviour from the Manager - Happy, Cheerful Ancillary Staff - Breakfast was Good

Room Tip: Keep an eye here to see if the serious issues have been addressed, then ignore the manager's per...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank WayneBooth
HaleysHotel, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

HEALTH AND SAFETY MY FOOT
Or should I say his feet which plays a large part of this negative review

Before I address this review I will tell you some of the facts not mentioned.

The guest came down for breakfast on Sunday morning 16th February bare footed, the waitress came to see me and stated there had been a adverse comment passed by a guest in reception.

My conversation with the said guest went something like this, Is there any reason you have come into the dining room without any shoes on?, to which he answered I don't wear shoes followed with a "why?" my response was I don't think its appropriate sitting in the restaurant without any footwear whatsoever.

He replied "would you rather me wear something on my feet", to which I said "PLEASE", He did NOT accommodate my request and left the restaurant barefooted,
(My action in thanking him for his co-operation was meant to be sarcastic, Sorry).

He happened to tell a waitress he was a "PIRATE", I could be forgiven for thinking he was from Penzance, Having looked at his postcode I realised he belonged to the PIRATES of Newcastle, which I have not really heard of, have you?

This same guest, I am told was pretending to clean his feet in the shoe polishing machine, not a good idea and not very professional.

On leaving the restaurant he thanked the waitress for her service, but stated he would put a negative review because of the owner (That's me).

Now lets address his comments

Vertical drop from the car park - This is a grassy bank planted up with trees and shrubs.
Fast flowing river - This is a stream called Farnley & Wortley beck.
Extractor fan - Working perfectly and silently 24 hours per day.
Showers - These have a simple control for volume and temperature.
Bed Sheets - We reject any damaged bed sheets to the laundry that we use who also supply 4 star hotels.
Return of keys - Did he look honest?, Maybe we should of asked him for his I.D.
The restaurant floor - Its a wood laminated floor resting on a floated concrete base with no M.D.F. and no dripping hazard.
Bedroom Cleanliness - His comments were unjustified.

The issue of health and safety is always under review and if advice is needed we seek it from the Leeds city Health and Safety Executive.

This review was simply made out of spite because he was asked not to eat in the restaurant without any footwear.

P.S
You might like to read his review of McDonalds posted on 23rd February where having eaten there he felt violated and his eye sight was affected by what he had eaten.

If any other PIRATES are looking for accommodation in Leeds please give our Hotel a miss even if its for the sake of our other guests.

Gordon Jowett
M.D.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My partner and I came to this hotel for a romantic weekend on the assumption that it was close to Headingley and that we could visit old haunts around my old College. In the Groupon description it was described as being '...in the proximity of Headingley Carnegie Stadium.' This is a patent lie. The hotel is a £15 taxi ride from Headingley as we found out to our cost. The proprietor initially informed us that he had a deal with a local taxi firm for a flat rate of £5.80 for the journey but this also proved to be untrue - the drivers and the dispatcher had NO KNOWLEDGE of such an arrangement and would not honour it. The owner's defence to this was to blame Groupon for the errant description, even though he would have had to have provided it! He blustered that he would complain to the taxi company but did not offer to reimburse us for the loss based on HIS advice.
The room was clean yet poorly maintained (two single beds pushed together, no side table on one side). Breakfast was average. Bizarrely, there were 'no fried or poached eggs on the weekend'. The entire experience was extremely negative. Buyers beware.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trsobers
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

As you might presume I disagree with the majority of this review. The facts are:#

That groupon’s description of the location was totally their fault and we have this morning taken the matter up with them. (this was not a lie)

Taxi fare to Headingly is normally about £7 but Mr Moss stated on our suggestion that he could use the fixed price of £5.80. This fixed price was accepted by the telephonist at the taxi company who failed to pass it on to the driver this meant that Mr Moss had to pay the normal price which was £1.20 more.
The return fare quoted according to the taxi company was completely unrealistic and as private hire taxis had to be pre-booked over the phone and as these taxis are metered it would have only come to approximately £7.00 (this matter has been taken up with the taxi company by myself)
It is suggested that I ‘blustered’, I have no idea what he means by this I was only trying to suggest I could approach the taxi company to get a refund on his behalf which only amounted to £1.20 as he didn’t use the taxi on his return journey. This was when I rang him at home to try to resolve the matter.
Bizarrely a word used by the reviewer about fried or poached eggs – it is true that on a busy Sunday morning with up to 150 breakfasts to do we could offer the quality we would wish to on these two items however we do offer freshly made scrambled egg and 9 hot dishes in total I think our breakfasts are extremely good and value for money.

It is not unusual for hotels to use super king beds which are made up of 2 single beds zipped together, we very rarely have adverse comments about this arrangement and I think for £24.95 per person including a glass of wine on arrival it was an extremely good deal.

G. Jowett M.D

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We live quite local so have been to many functions at the Cornmill and stayed overnight. We have also stayed over Valentines night. We have no complaints at all. Food ok. Bedrooms clean and have everything you need. The buffet lunches are splendid value for money. Any questions please ask.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

If you are local i'm sure I may know you by sight.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here for one night before going to see a show in Leeds. This is an excellent place to stay, Price per night is very reasonable. The food is very good and very well served, again excellent value for money. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise N

Thank you for your kind comment.

Gordon M.D

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at the Corn Mill Lodge Hotel for five days in September 2013 when we were on a business trip to Leeds. The staff are very helpful and friendly, the food is delicious (breakfast and dinner) and the rooms are large and very comfortable, with a hot shower but bizarrely no wifi (it doesn't work in the rooms).

Ask for a room on the side away from the road for a really quiet night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
CornmillLodge, Owner at Corn Mill Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Wi-Fi is always problematic, we can't be the only hotel that has problems at times.

We do have Wi-Fi available in all rooms and this is backed up by hard wire cabling and we also have routers available on request from reception - you should be able to get on to the internet one way or another.

Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again.