“TIme for this to be closed down”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leeds
The Harewood Arms Hotel
Ranked #60 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 19 July 2011

On the plus side, the twin room was spacious and clean, the shower absolutely fantastic.
Not so good - on arrival we had to hunt down staff in a bar that smelt of stale mince. We were given a key and told where the room was. That was it. Everything was very tired and run down; the beds uncomfortable with old blankets, and sheets with holes in. The room smelt 'musty', the corridors were shabby. Breakfast was quite simply appalling. Stale toast and sour butter that took twenty minutes to arrive. The 'buffet' consisted of variety pack cereals. We asked for some fruit and were told that there wasn't any. I ordered scrambled egg which when it eventually arrrived had the consistency or cardboard ( maybe it had been cooking for the same twenty minutes as the toast? ). The time to produce the food was certainly not down to being busy as we were the only people in the dining room - maybe other folk knew better?
The hotel public areas need major upgrading and with the right management its location could make it an absolute gold mine. Instead it is just bad. Unless it changes, stay away is my advice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2011

July1st, and the young couple Dudi86 referred to were packing their bags and moving out. The Samuel Smith company moved the next pair in the same day. Which was not great timing for me, trying to check in and find the promised WiFi, nor for the unfortunate wedding party, trying to check in and asking for the missing toiletries for their rooms.

This place deserves so much better from the managing company. It has a fantastic historic past, it is in a superb location, and the rooms are very nice. If Sean and his wife are given some support from Samuel Smith, and a budget to get some decent staff in to help them, the Harewood Arms could be great again. And Sean seemed to me to be the one that could turn this round.

But this review can only really be about the experience I actually had. The promised WiFi didn't work unless I sat on the floor in Reception. No television meant watching the Murray v. Nadal match on my netbook. No toiletries in the rooms. New management didn't know where anything was (not their fault - they'd barely known where Yorkshire was until that morning!). The room was nice and the bed looked lovely - but underneath the extravagent cover was a blanket that would have been at home in a prison - too rough and scratchy to touch! Breakfast was fine with proper mushrooms cooked in butter (I'd had to point Sean towards a nearby town to stock up on supplies!). Unfortunately on my return late that night, the room hadn't been entered, the bed hadn't been made, and the tea and milk hadn't been replenished. Sean was quick to put things right, and I had sympathy for them on their first day ....... but it wasn't great.

But I'll always give credit when a manager recognises problems and gives a fair response. I suggested to him on checkout that the single rate I was being charged was excessive given the poor experience I'd had. He agreed and made an immediate refund to a level I agreed was fair.

It was a particular shame, as I was in the area for a 40th anniversary of "Follyfoot", a children's TV series filmed less than a mile from the Harewood Arms. The cast and crew came out to visit the location and wanted lunch somewhere - all of them suggested the Harewood Arms (which had been a superb pub back in the 1970s) but with its current problems that would have been a disaster, so we had to go elsewhere.

I really hope that Sean can turn this one round. I hope he gets the support he needs from Samuel Smith. And most of all I hope we can all go back there soon and enjoy the Harewood Arms at its best once again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TamaraEssex
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This was our second visit to the hotel, and we were in shock at how badly managed it was this time round. A young woman carries responsibility for everything, with her husband standing around holding a cup of tea and a cigarette in his hand.
She is responsible for the entire management, bookings, cleaning, breakfast cooking and serving, etc.
None of which is to a particularly high standard, even though the rooms are comfortable. However, we never once saw a hoover being used, although the floors required cleaning, both in the bedrooms and the entrance hall. Close by the reception, there was a small glass topped table, which carried stains from glasses, and which was never cleaned throughout our four night stay. Nor did the phone system function in the rooms - this simply requires technical repairing.
The manageress is a very sweet and helpful person, but the very least required is more help and more staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Stayed 2 nights and found the en-suite room clean, large and comfortable as well as recently refurbished. The hotel chain have a strange policy of no TV even though there is a coaxial socket in the wall which is wrong for today's living standards. Having a room on the front made traffic noise from early morning a nuisance. There were relief management staff present so we do not know about the full time personnel. The evening meal was OK and inexpensive but the breakfast was freshly cooked. We plan to give them another try next year.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed in the hotel earlier in the year and it was lovely, the staff were fantastic, especially the manager who cooked my breakfast and nothing seemed too much trouble, the manager informed me he was leaving to go back in the Army. What a shame, I stayed in May and what s contrast, room was clean but the noise from a pipe kept me awake and the service was poor, I asked for a full refund which I got. I organise car events but shall not be using the harewood hotel again unless it changes.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Cruiserztime
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This hotel is in a great location, easy access to Leeds and Harrogate, opposite Harewood House. The staff are really accommodating, friendly and helpful, Becky was a stand out member of staff and would be a great asset to any hotelier. The rooms are large and spacious and reasonably decorated and maintained.

The major issue, the food. It is really awful. I have to say that it is cheap, around £5-£6 a main course but really you would rather pay more and have something not warmed up in a microwave. We had sausages at breakfast we couldn't eat they were so overcooked and reheated, we had sandwiches where the lettuce had been washed for the side salad but not dried so the sandwiches were soggy, on four plates! A chicken fillet burget that had slices of reheated chicken in it and nothing else, our meal on the second night was so bad some of our party couldn't eat it. We heard several other people complaining to each other about the food, one man was saying that he has never had bangers and mash that had been microwaved anywhere else before. I have to agree. If it hadn't been so cheap we'd have kicked up a right stink. And no fruit at all at breakfast. But the staff were trying hard and they were not the managers so seemed little point..

Also not sure that the management are that friendly (as previous reviews have stated) as they weren't in evidence the whole time we were there (the bank holiday) apart from as we were checking out and then they didn't say a word to us despite our children talking. I did complain about the food as we checked out.

This could be an amazing hotel if only the food issue was sorted. Maybe then they could open the restaurant in the evening rather than have it sitting empty. I would stay again if I had to but I wouldn't come as my first choice because of the food.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2011

In such a lovely location, the outside of the Harewood Arms is very deceptive.
We went for a special occasion- a big mistake.
The food is reasonable, but the staff poorly trained, the wine list non-existent, and overall it was a huge disappointment.
When we were charged £90 for four lunches, (two of which were only two courses) we attempted to discuss this with management.
Big mistake.
If you face the wrath of the chef- (who came out to shout at us) you'll know about it.

• Stayed: April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#1 of 9 in Headingley
Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
Corn Mill Lodge Hotel
#48 of 87 in Leeds

Been to The Harewood Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!