“Excellent xmas gift!”

Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Boston, Lincolnshire
“Excellent xmas gift!”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Booked one night as an xmas pressy for my wife and I. Deal was room for £35 as long as we spent £75 in the restaurant. Room was excellent. Clean and much larger than I thought. Even a nice sitting area and the TV was in a cabinet that swivelled such that you could watch in bed, or sat in chairs..Very Innovative!
Usual Mal toiletries and filter coffeee sachets. Food in the restaurant was great. Smoked Salmon and Scallops for starters, Steaks for mains and all washed down with a bottle of chardonnay. Only minor criticism is that restaurant prices on the menu are ex vat. This appears to becoming a common trend. Hence your bill is 20% higher when you get it. I am sure it states this in small print, but not immediately obvious.
All in all, a great night...Would definitely stay again, and if you want a luxurious room, good food and a central city location, you cannot go wrong with Leeds Mal.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel about 10 times in 2011 and its one of the best hotels in the area, OK it maybe only a 3* but it outshines many of the higher rated hotels in the Centre of Leeds.

The location is excelent and although it does not have its own car park the one they recomend is 50m away and very reasonably priced. The service is excelent and the staff are courtious, polite and professional.

The rooms are very clean, decorated to a high standard although some are quite compact.

Only thing that stops me from a 5* rating is that it can be quite pricey at times.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jon E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2011

There are many rival establishments to this in Leeds, but I would ignore them all and always come back to the Mal. It's very well placed for the station (about 3 mins walk), and there is a car park, although I've never used it. The rooms are very stylish, if somewhat dark, with a very good bathroom featuring a decent sized bath and excellent shower. Good quality toiletries. The bed is very comfortable and I always find the rooms pretty quiet even though the hotel is right on the inner ring - ask for a riverside one or on the upper floors if you're really concerned but there's basically no traffic at night.

There's a nice busy bar downstairs and the breakfast is a good buffet. I've only used the restaurant for evening meal a couple of times but it's OK - there are many excellent alternatives very close anyway (such as the great Bibi's 100 yards up the road). The gym is a bit limited but at least there is one.

One final word on the staff. I have always found the front desk staff absolutely excellent - very helpful, extremely cheerful and welcoming. This goes beyond the odd good individual -this hotel chain seems to have found a way of training them consistently well.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the first time. I arrived early for check in about 1300 but the staff never made this an issue and checked me in without any fuss or reference to the fact I was approx 2 hrs before the check in time. I was introduced by the receptionist giving her first name who informed me what time she would end her duty and that she would answer any question I might have whilst she was on duty and that one of her colleagues would help after that. The whole stay from checking in to checking out was efficient and polite. Indeed as I was sharing a room with a colleague we had requested the bill be split in half with a copy for each. This was no problem at all. Rooms and bar service were of a very good standard. A litle pricey for most but if you can afford it you should stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Seaton Delaval, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Very fashionable hotel, right in the Centre of Leeds. Lacks its own car park, but that is to be expected considering the location.

Rooms were immaculate and food superb.

Highly recommended if not on a budget !

• Stayed December 2011
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Stayed at Malmaison on the weekend of December 2nd and 3rd.

I booked directly through Mal's website and got the best deal when compared to others - I asked for a quiet room at the back. (note to those that don't know the Mal, the rear of the hotel overlooks the river and is quiet - maybe I shouldn't have given that secret away :-) )

I arrived around 6pm, parking directly outside in the offloading parking space. Very quick and friendly check in, with a lovely spacious room on the second floor (207) at the rear as requested.

I then moved my car to the car park which is no more than a 2min walk away and is subsidised by the hotel at a very reasonable rate.

I ordered room service, took a shower, and the room service arrived. Great food, great glass of wine - perfect!

Room as ever is clean, stylish, well appointed, and a very comfy bed.

I ordered lunch on the Sunday which is £15, and gives you a late check out of 3pm - which was great for a long lie in after a heavy night out in Leeds.

Sunday lunch was awesome, and incredible value. The staff in the restaurant were so lovely and especially the lady that was on duty, very polite, attentive and so nice.

Finally , I checked out, and once again, reception staff were quick, very friendly and genuinely took an interest in my stay.

I also used the free wi fi in the hotel, using my sony tablet - which was lightning quick, and so easy to connect too! So many other hotels charge for this - a big bonus point to you Mal!

What can I say?, the hotel delivered 100% in all aspects of my stay - thanks to all the staff for making me feel special and appreciated. Will I return? you betcha !

AS

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet - this is a good hotel all round, however, the ones at the rear, over lo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Hull
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here with my husband after staying here before and really enjoying our stay. The room was slot smaller then previously but not a problem. Room was tastefully decorated and clean. The receptionist told us we where at the front of the hotel in a nice quiet room!! However we were in fact opposite a very noisy bar which was playing loud music until around 4am!! So not a very good nights sleep. We mentioned it when checking out and the receptionist did say we could of moved rooms! But when you are unpacked and are ready for bed it is a bit too late to move then!

• Stayed November 2011