“Plenty of potential, just needs some tlc”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 15 January 2012

First time to experience the Malmaison brand. First impression OK. Professional staff, but quite corporate. My room was quite tired and needed freshening up. Too many promotional messages.....sell,sell,sell. Not sure if I would pay full rate in peak season. If you can get a deal below £100 then worth it

• Stayed: January 2012
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Hotel

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed here on 11th Jan for 1 night. I am not a moaner by nature - promise, but......!! I arrived quite late , hungry and tired. Room seemed ok and went straight down to restaurant - menu was not very wide ranging and quite pricey , as was the wine. One of the cheaper wines was a Gavi at £26 a bottle - which, despite the cost, did go down well, as did the £16 lamb shank. Was going to try the £9 cheese board but after the waiter who had just cleared various tables of dirty dishes and had hands and nails resembling a mechanic, brought it over and then proceeded to handle each and every cheese on the board as though he was a spin bowler caressing the ball , I decided against it - disgusting!
Anyway back to room, lights out and ready to sleep.....10 mins later a noise from the switched off air conditioning unit kicked in- a constant squeaking noise that just wouldnt go away, i led there about 45 mins but it didnt stop so at 1am I rang reception and to be fair was in another room in about 10 mins, which was fine.
On checkout, there was a robotic apology regarding the inconvenience the night before,but when I was presented with my bill they had charged me a higher rate- based on the fact the
room I was transferred to was a higher grade room!
All in all a bit of a hit and miss experience - good food and wine but at a premium - and not the best night ever spent in a hotel

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at Malmaison in Leeds just after New Year with the main aim of going shopping.

Malmaison is perfectly positioned in the centre of Leeds, the shops are a 5 minute walk away and the train station is also nearby. The only downside of it being in the centre is that it makes it a nightmare to drive into as Leeds city centre traffic is notoriously confusing.

The hotel was lovely and the room had a massive comfortable bed which meant that we slept well. Excellent filter coffee was provided in the rooms and they provided us with more when we asked.

Breakfast at the hotel was good, but expensive, £13 for a cooked breakfast. I am not sure that quality quite matches the price but it was good.

We booked hotel in LateRooms so got a good deal and I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the canal. We didn't ask for this as they...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

One night stay - business trip. Friendly and courteous service on arrival (probably the best I have ever received), very nice room, albeit that I had to wait for around 30 mins for it to be made ready (even though I checked in at an appropriate time).
Bar extremely busy with Christmas parties, etc., but service still good, even though the staff were clearly under pressure.
Dinner also very good - although service was a little slow due to the restaurant being totally booked. Quality of food was excellent.
All in all - superb.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We normally stay at Quebecs, but stayed here as we wanted DB and B without having to venture out into the cold (we'd been outside all day). I wouldn't say it had the pzazz of the other Mal's we've stayed at (I love Manchester and Oxford in particular), but the room was comfortable, staff were lovely and the food was excellent, despite it being completely rammed with people. Wine list is good, although I think their Prosecco is vastly overpriced. Their chocolate fondant was exceptional. Excellent breakfast - the best in the business in my humble opinion. We'd stay again just for the breakfast, but only if they had a deal on as its a bit expensive for the quality of the room you get really. Its well within walking distance of Leeds city centre and the railway station. There is a car park directly opposite or you can park on the road overnight. I miss the iPod docks - they needs to put them in every room like they used to!

Room Tip: Get a deal on an upgraded room if you can - they are more spacious and have a few added extras that...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My partner and I stayed here on 30th December and we were very disappointed.The room was basic, run down and very very small as it was on the corner on the hotel. Stayed in the past in the travel lodge over the road and that hotel was far superior. We usually stay in Hilton hotels and will stick to them from now on, will definately not return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor R
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I've stayed here before and can say standards have definitely not slipped. In fact I'd say the staff have become friendlier. We needed the pillows & duvet changing for feathers (i'm allergic) - no problem, one call and 2 minutes later they were changed. I miss the plug-your-iPod-into-the-sound system they used to have - tho there are Blu-Ray players in the rooms now but that's a minor grumble. My only issue was why room service were knocking on my door at 9am asking if they can come in to clean the room. Sure, I should have put a do not disturb sign on my door but...

• Stayed: December 2011