“Brilliant hotel and staff”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed on 13th Sept, the hotel is beautiful in an old building which is typical of Malmaison hotels. the staff are so friendly, helpful and polite. The room facilities are very good, good quality, good sized room (we stayed in 214). Big bathroom, lovely toiletries, large soft towels and a proper hairdryer! Good choice of drinks in the minibar and the tea/coffee making facilities are excellent. The bar is great and helpful table service. Continental breakfast was included but we opted for a cooked breakfast at a small extra charge which was good, plenty of fresh tea and coffee. Wish we had been staying longer

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Went for 1 night as a quick break. Arrived early before room was ready, staff took our bag and when room was ready put it in room ready for when we came back later that afternoon. All staff from reception to restaurant and bar staff very pleasant and helpful. Had breakfast which was nice. Ideal location for shopping and train station, only 10 minutes walk from Leeds train station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed here recently for one night for a work trip. I was with colleagues and we had a nice dinner at the restaurant on the ground floor. My colleagues were heading out to an event but as I was feeling ill due to a bad cold I decided to go back to my room instead. The waiter who served our table saw that I was unwell and as I was leaving the restaurant offered to send up a pot of hot water and lemon and honey for my sore throat. It was a lovely gesture and the sort of touch that really makes a hotel and its staff stand out.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We booked the hotel for our anniversary , it was in an excellent location a short walk away from the shopping area and also a short walk away from the night life which seems to centre around call lane. All the staff that we interacted with we're friendly and very helpful from the receptionist who took the time to leave her post in order to come outside and point me to the car park to the batman who have us the insiders top 10 places to see/eat/drink. We had a superior double which was spacious well furnished and had a lovely high ceiling which gave it an airy feel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Booked a one night dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The room was of a very good standard, although we thought ready for a face lift. Dinner menu from the deal had lots of choice, excellent standard and good service. Breakfast if paying is expensive, but as part of the deal very good with a good choice, again high standard. All in all good value for money on the deal, but if not, I would expect to pay 50% more overall, which wouldn't be worth it. Great location for the city centre and shops, parking is nearby and the hotel give a good discount.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here overnight with my friend. Was really looking forward to staying at the hotel but I'm afraid it didn't live up to expectations. Average room in decor, size and furnishings and the biggest put off was hairs around the bath side!! We had a drink in the bar early evening which was quite expensive. However, reception staff were really chatty and welcoming. Pleased we tried it but probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank grantsleeds
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My stay at Malmaison in Leeds was good value – apart from breakfast which is over-priced and really not at all good for vegetarians (or for anyone who thinks breakfast might include a croissant even if you don't get there until say 8:30) – because it was midweek. I expected better of the hotel though. The room was nice enough but the decor is a bit dreary; it's certainly got little to recommend it in design terms (there are net curtains, for goodness sake).

The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful, apart from booking me in to a room on the 4th floor before telling me the lifts were out of order. I wished afterwards I'd accepted the offer to swap to a room lower down, not because of the stairs they were fine and one lift was fixed later in the day, but because the room I had had rather high windows which I was too short to really get much of a view of the city from.

My room was a slightly odd shape (it was on a corner of the building and curved round) but nice enough. Having paid extra for a bigger room I suspect the standard rooms must be distinctly small and the cosy ones tiny; mine was big enough to have a small comfy chair but only one!

The bathroom was pretty good (the shower was over the bath but excellent nonetheless).

All in all, I had a perfectly pleasant stay but this is very much a bland chain hotel.

Once again, TripAdvisor is asking me to rate a non-existent swimming pool. No idea whether the hotel has a spa; certainly didn't notice one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor only offer views to tall people. Other floors may be better.