“Ok. Decent. Better hotels in Leeds. Terrible wifi.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
London, United Kingdom
“Ok. Decent. Better hotels in Leeds. Terrible wifi.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The room was fine but a bit small. The wifi was horrendous, if I'd been there for work it would have been incredibly frustrating. A decent Malmaison but did feel a bit like room service and bar prices were 5 star for a 3.5 star hotel. Lots of hotels, shops and restaurants nearby and a short walk to station.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, our hotel is located in a fantastic area very close to all amenities, in the heart of the city. We are currently having works completed to improve our WiFi and can assure this will significantly improve the service for all guests and visitors to the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back very soon and will ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Kind Regards Anna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Spontaneous stay at Malmaison, I have stayed at the Mal in Birmingham and a big fan of the Du Vin chain
This was a lovely stay, king size room was more the adequate and comfortable! Very clean and loved the free bathroom products!
We have a three course meal and bottle of Mal plonk and thoroughly enjoyed it, recommend the steak.
Service was very pleasant throughout check in and in the brasserie.
Only criticism and really a personal preference that I have to say I haven't experienced before was the bed was very very hard! I'm all for firmness but this time I did get a bad back!! However it's a minor point!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay at Malmaison Leeds and myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

First time in Leeds, decided to book Mal chain as we recently stayed at one in Leith and loved it. We were not disappointed, when booking I informed the hotel about my fiancés birthday while we were there. I booked a superior double and on arrival the bed was covered in birthday confetti, there was a hand written birthday card to my fiancé, free chocolates and a voucher for a free drink at the bar! It was these small touches that added to our fab weekend, I’m shocked at the bad reviews this hotel gets on here as I can fault the place or the chain! Hotel staff were again very pleasant and helpful, asked us if we had meal reservations and made recommendations upon check in. Room was huge and so was the bed, big bathroom with all the toiletries! Hotel is situation in an ideal spot, close to all the shops, bars and train station. Will be staying again and can’t wait to try out rest of the mal hotels.

Room Tip: Superior Double rooms are lovely
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
I am so pleased to read your review and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We always strive to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay and always try to do the extra special things to make your occasion memorable. I will ensure your feedback to passed onto my team.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have stayed here a few times in different rooms etc from the standard double right up to the suite which was gorgeous but all the rooms are beautiful with crisp white bedding etc the breakfasts are good too both continental and full english the brasserie restaurant is cosy and romantic and food delicious thers a little bar as wel to have before and after drinks.all the staff are very polite and the hotel is in a great location for everything you need bars and restaurants shops and the railway station short walk away .

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind comments and feedback, I am really pleased you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Leeds Mal very soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a relatively expensive hotel which offers poor value for money and very low quality service.

The majority of the staff, though not all, have very little interest in their work and are not equipped with even the most basic social skills. They have an inability to understand simple greetings such as "Good morning, how are you?". I found most of them to be disinterested in their work and the customers and some were verging on being rude and dismissive.

We ate as a large group in the Brasserie; the food was basic, uninspiring and over-priced for what it was. The service was lacking and there was no real sense of anybody having an interest in you or the experience you were having in their hotel.

The room was nice. Ordered a paper for the morning which did not come. This is only a little thing but shows a lack of attention to detail that characterises the hotel.

The breakfast experience was a disgrace. The waitress was rude, surly and totally disinterested. The breakfast room was a mess and not kept in a clean state. Breakfast arrived and we were basically served uncooked meat. We raised this with the waitress who took the plate off in a sulky fashion. They simply put the plate under the grill and burned everything on the plate. (please see photo attached!) and returned it to us. We raised this with one waitress who actually had some character and initiative and she went and told the manager in the breakfast room. At this point one would have expected him to come and speak to us. Significantly, he chose not to and I think that, in a way, spoke volumes. Before leaving we spoke to him. He was apologetic but not particularly bothered. He clearly has not got any pride in the hotel and this filters down to the staff. I think hotels charging £20+ for breakfast when they can't even cook a sausage says it all. He kindly refunded us £4.

We came to Leeds to celebrate my partner's birthday and I really felt that, having stayed here, the occasion was rather ruined. I would not stay in this hotel again. It has serious flaws and the focus is on style and not substance. It is a badly managed hotel where low standards of customer service are the norm. This, allied with high prices, adds insult to injury. In one word: AVOID! It is a total waste of money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SteveB1601
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Steve

I am sincerely sorry to read your review and your disappointment at the hotel, service and delivery is what we pride our business on and I would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with you personally to resolve.

Kind Regards
Anna
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Well we decided to stay over on a saturday night after the opera. In the old days Malmaison was a novelty. But now? Not cheap: over £140 B+b for two. Dumped with a room with no outside view (floor 2) at first. Then got up to floor 4. Daylight, albeit onto the fire escape. Room warm and comfortable enough but the standard rooms are v small. Ordered wake up call. Did not deliver. Breakfast very ordinary. You can do much much better for that money. Perhaps I am living on memories when it used to be good to stay there.

1 Thank joy14607
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, I can assure you that all feedback is taken seriously and improvements made. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if you wish to discuss your stay.
Kind regards Anna
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Fab location close to all the bars, shops etc.

The staff at the hotel we're very welcoming and the service was excellent. We has dinner at the hotel, the lamb was fabulous, the wine was great and the staff were attentive. We ordered drinks to the room and they came quickly with a smile. We were late checking out and this wasn't even mentioned.

Overall the staff went the extra to make sure we had a great stay and the quality of everything was great. Check out the packages on offer on the website they offer great value for money.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your great review and comments regarding our staff at Leeds Malmaison. I will ensure this is passed onto the team. I hope we can welcome you back very soon.