“Great Hotel”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a great place to stay in Leeds. It is what you want from Hotel, not to expensive, but gives you everything you need with no hassle. I would ask for a room at the back as there is a road at the front.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for you review and taking the time to recommend us, all feedback is passed on to the whole team and I hope we can welcome you back again very soon for another great stay.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have visited the Malmaison, Leeds around 12 times since March 2014 for coffees, lunch and dinner for meeting my clients!
The service, food, cleanliness, and location is fantastic and I would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

It is really great to read your review and your kind comments regarding our staff, product and service. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon for another great experience.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I took advantage of a special offer and spent another Saturday night in the Mal (against my better judgement following a bad experience last year.)

I'm pleased to report that this was a much better experience. The room was spacious and quiet with a number of thoughtful touches throughout. The quality of bed and linens was good and I had an excellent night's sleep.

However, the bathroom was a little tired and needed a refit and the room itself suffered from a bizarre lack of power sockets; there was a desk to work at, but no nearby power socket to keep a laptop charged. The bedside tables had the same problem - nowhere to charge a mobile phone.

The hotel was fully booked the night I was staying, and there was no space in the restaurant and bar so I made use of room service, which was prompt and tasty. I didn't bother with breakfast this time (electing to spend a bit longer in bed!) so cannot comment on if the service had improved. However, all the staff I dealt with were courteous and very helpful.

Overall, much improved and I will be back the next time I am in Leeds.

Room Tip: Always ask for a quiet room and don't hesitate to change it if asked. The restaurant and bar se...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RichardSurrey38

Thank you for writing your review and staying with us again, I am pleased you had a good stay and improved from the last visit. We appreciate all feedback and ensure that we take action on everything where possible. I hope we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently for a few nights midweek. Rooms are ok with all the usual amenities. Comfy beds and good bed linen are positives. As is having an ironing board in the room. Negatives were the bathrooms, very tired now, and generally the level of cleanliness was not of a high enough standard. I think they may have an issue in their housekeeping department. This perception was reinforced on my third day. I returned in the evening to find a letter under my door saying that as I'd left a do not disturb notice on my door, they hasn't serviced the room but had left me some fresh towels in a plastic bag outside. I hadn't hung a notice on my door so I took the letter to reception to enquire what had happened. The receptionist seemed baffled and didn't offer to get it sorted out. She just asked me if I wanted to keep the letter?! All a bit strange.

Breakfast in the hotel was ok, not very extensive buffet but hot options were of good quality. Service is very slow though, they can't keep up when the hotel is busy which is not great if you're a business traveller.

Location is fine, it's a 5-7 minute walk to the main centre and there is a fantastic Thai restaurant just across the road. If you're a single female, there are a couple of streets near the hotel that you wouldn't want to walk alone in after dark in my opinion.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AnnaGM225, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your review and taking the time to comment. I am sorry regarding the servicing of your room, we would obviously always respect the wishes of any guest if the do not disturb sign is showing. I am sorry this was not dealt with more effectively when you spoke with my reception team. I hope we can welcome you back in the future and please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel for 4 nights.
The hotel is simple, and the reception not very friendly.
The room was very dark and very smelly and the window was facing the back of the hotel, so early morning I woke up with some delivery car and after that with a bin collection truck.
I have asked for room service and the food was ok, but very expensive comparing to other hotels.
The breakfast with very few options and the hot food you have to order, but they are quite slow, so order as soon as you arrive for breakfast.
The location is not very good, it’s close to the town centre, but the streets close to the hotel are not very nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MMIHaria

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear regarding your disappointment in our breakfast offering we have a full continental option which includes items such as homemade granola, pastries, yoghurts and fresh fruit and an extensive hot breakfast with includes items including such as kippers, omelettes, egg benedicts and much more. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was my second stay at the Malmaison in Leeds, and both times I enjoyed the hotel.

The building itself is gorgeous and characterful, located a short walk from the train station. The shops and restaurants of the city centre are very close, and there is ample parking in the area. Upon entering the hotel, you definitely get the sense that it's different than many other hotels in this category, and quite special. The design is unusual and interesting, with dark rich colours and moody lighting.

Both of the rooms I've stayed in were somewhat compact, but comfortable, with very high ceilings and large windows. As with the rest of the hotel, the styling is dramatic and quirky... although by being daring in this way, the look is starting to appear somewhat dated. The beds are very comfortable, with high quality sheets and large fluffy pillows. One aspect I'm not too keen on are the bathrooms; with dark walls and black & white tiles, they seem a bit dingy to me. Having said that, I do really like the toiletries; very large containers and lovely, unusual scents... although there was no conditioner, which always bothers me.

So, overall a very good hotel which offers something different than many of the hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel, we do pride ourselves with the design and feel of the hotel and do receive great feedback regarding the atmosphere which awaits you in our entrance reception. I hope we can welcome you again soon for a third stay very soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Friday night is bubbles night in the bar, the bubble machine outside the front door was a nice touch, champagne cocktails were to die for. Room was lovely as always, smart, modern, comfortable. Lovely comfy pillows :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased to read your review and you experienced the Bubble Time fever at the hotel during your stay. Our champagne cocktails are very popular with guests my personal favourite is Valentine Rose. I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.