“The best things in life are free”
Review of Chevin Forest Park

Chevin Forest Park
Ranked #40 of 152 things to do in Leeds
Otley, United Kingdom
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“The best things in life are free”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I am very biased. I live in Otley, in the shadow of the Chevin. It is a great place for us urban walkers of all abilities. A previous review has complained it is really steep. Er, yes. It is a hill! It is a steep climb if you start from the town and go straight up, it is more manageable if you park in one of the three car parks located near the Ramblers tea rooms on East Chevin Road. You could just park near the Royalty Pub and take in the spectacular views from Surprise View. On one side you have the urban sprawl of Leeds and Bradford, and the chance for some plane spotting, on the other is the beauty of the start of the Yorkshire Dales.

There are some excellent info sheets available from the TIC located in Otley Library. I will agree with a previous review complaining about the noise of the road and air traffic, there is no denying that. But I guess that living under the flight path of LBA for 19 years has made me immune! I still love to walk in the woods tho.

The website is really useful. chevinforest.co.uk.

Visited September 2013

Barnsley, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beautiful but a lot of walking.”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I'm relatively unfit and I went here on a trip with friends from University. Around half of the class made it right to the top and said the view was spectacular. Some made it half way but a few of us almost made it half way - it was really steep so very tiring if you are unfit. The higher you go the steeper and more difficult it gets. Parts near the top you have to scramble up (we went on a very muddy day) but up until the White House you can walk relatively comfortably.
The woods are relaxing to walk through, and we walked through the village too which was nice.

We drove up to the top after we walked back down so that we didn't miss out on the view and it was lovely - well worth the effort if you walk up.

There are strange sights to see as you walk up too - like a stone fence, wooden sculptures - some with money knocked into them, a round disc with distance to nearby landmarks upon it, a tree with christmas ornaments on it..

Parking has a charge but we parked in Otley and paid £2 for 2 hours I think.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Abibojo
Leeds, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great views”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Walking around the Chevin is one of the best ways to spend a sunny afternoon I've found. The views are breath-taking.

Leeds, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Brilliant area for walks and rock climbing”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Good views from the top over to Brimham Rocks and surrounding area. Two car parks within easy reach of each other. Lovely place for walking with family and pets - many paths to follow. If you wanted - you could leave the car and walk into Otley although it is a steep walk both down and back up.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Viv G
Leeds
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Perfect wedding venue!”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We attended a family wedding here, and it was brilliant, the location is so pretty and the room we were in looked out over beautiful gardens. The food and service were both excellent, as was the breakfast the next morning. I would highly recommend this venue.

Visited August 2012