“Proud to now be a Minster Church”
Review of Leeds Minster

Leeds Minster
Ranked #46 of 155 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the Leeds Minster - a place of worship and service for the fast-moving modern city of Leeds. Leeds Minster is one of England's best-loved Parish Churches and at our heart is a sacred choral tradition. Our origins date back to the greatest of the Victorian Vicars of Leeds, Dr Hook. It was during his 22-year incumbency that today's Minster Church of St Peter at Leeds was built - an astonishing building consecrated with great ceremony on 2 September 1841 in the presence of a vast congregation including the celebrated Florence Nightingale. In 2012 we were granted Minster status. Today you can visit the Minster for worship - whether for a few minutes of calm contemplation at a mid-week Choral Evensong or for the richness of a Sunday Choral Eucharist. We invite all to walk around and soak up the atmosphere of a building rich in history and heritage, light a votive candle, listen to the famous organ and round it all off with an enjoyable light lunch in our Refectory. If you do have not the time for an extended personal visit, but happen to pass the Minster on foot, by train, by bus, or in your car, do listen out for the Bells and do pray for us as we pray for you.
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Proud to now be a Minster Church”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Pleased that the importance of this Church has now been recognised by promoting it to a 'Minster' Church. It is a must to view from the inside and the cafe is a delight with lovely food at a more than reasonable price.
Do look out for details of the dinners held in the Minster. What a wonderful experience

Visited May 2013

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Happy memories of my chorister days”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Leeds Minster, as it's now called, was my "Alma Mater." I was a chorister there from 1960 to 1967. A recent visit to this beautiful church - not huge like many other cathedrals and minsters - but full of character and ambiance actually brought tears to my eyes and a huge lump in my throat. While standing at the back of the nave listening to the superb organist and the choir rehearse, I was overwhelmed with emotion as I had memories of my father and brother, both in the choir at the same time as I. I believe this church is much under-rated. The organ is the finest in the country, and the organist is certainly "top notch." I was proud to share my memories with my daughter and grandson.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Michael D
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Went for the annual xmas concert. Brilliant atmosphere - lovely church - bit difficult to find parking though

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Viv G
Leeds
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Spectacular Victorian church”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

It's a really grand Victorian building - gothic in style, but industrial revolution in technology, making good use of cast iron. Anglo-saxon crosses too, and the services performed at near-cathedral quality.

3 Thank LeedsAmateur
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great Building”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Really good building and the Atmosphere is amazing. The choir sang wonderfully well although they were all ready for Christmas.

Visited December 2012