Review Highlights
Pretyy

Such a great walk I loved it so much, the kids really enjoyed themselves! Was so nice to get fresh... read more

Reviewed 11 June 2021
I1303VLHipkins
Manchester, United Kingdom
via mobile
Delightful trail with excellent parks at both ends

We really enjoyed walking through Meanwood Park and beyond for the first time earlier this week... read more

Reviewed 21 August 2020
amdgriggs
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Recommended experiences in and around Leeds
from US$14.66
from US$102.58
from US$91.44
More Info
All reviews golden acre park park cafe dogs love car park beck stream woodland terrain paddling picnic scenery trees
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

OK I took my dog out for a stroll. It was muddy as he'll and I loved it. The place is nicely kept and has a wild feel to it. I would recommend it to all walkers about.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

Great trail in any conditions. Plenty to look at along the way. Will be riding further when it isn't so cold.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 23 February 2017

did this walk from the official start by Woodhouse Moor up to Golden Acre Park. It should have been 7 miles but a helpful group sent me the wrong way in an unsigned section which meant, having retraced my steps, it was nearer to 9! Don`t get me wrong - there are lots of signage and information boards but not always definitively for the Meanwood Valley Trail and my own bit of local knowledge helped me out a couple of times. The first phase s through Woodhouse Ridge and Meanwood Park are no problem. Confusion over signs might mean checking with a local walker who always help out or the paths pretty much run the same way anyway. The third stretch from the Leeds Outer Ring Road to Golden Acre was reasonably signed until getting to Stairfoot Lane and crossing the road when the math splits 5/6 ways. At this stage strike right even if people tell you there that it is quicker to "go leftish". I ended up on nice enough paths in private land with no way out to King Lane as intended and had to retrace my steps in the end for the final push up the only bit of roadway on King lane which was less pleasant than the rest of the walk. For refreshments there is the excellent Meanwood Park cafe which has been a wonderful addition to that lovely park over the last 2.5 years. Great home-made cakes and the samosas are wonderful. Me - this time I had a lovely bacon sandwich and a large mug of tea that set me up nicely but Stefan and his staff have a wide range on offer. Don`t eat there and you must wait until Golden Acre Park and woe betide you after 3.30pm in winter as they shut the kitchen for hot food- no matter what the demand! In winter the walk is tougher - deep mud affected parts of the trail especially in Adel Woods and parts of Meanwood. If you`re lucky like me you might see the Meanwood beck kingfisher which I had not believed existed until the magical moment it popped up in front of me yesterday. It is lovely to see the walkway so well served with information boards - at least up until the Meanwood element and as a local who had never done the whole walk in one go it was a joy to finally do it. How long? I took a meandering 6 hours stopping for photographs, drinks and chat and reading each board but an older couple I cane across managed it in 4 with a short stop at Meanwood Park Cafe. They had the sense to go out later and have their snack whilst it was raining whereas I met the rain full on in the middle of Adel woods by the beck with no cover anywhere. Just don`t believe the forecast before you set out! I would like to do the walk again in Spring when the wildflowers are out and maybe in summer when it is drier underfoot but whenever you do it have fun!

Date of experience: February 2017
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Great walk with my nephew after the rains, the streams were running wild, good for dogs, short or a long walk can be made, cafe in the park after your walk.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 21 October 2016

The Meanwood Valley Trail is a designated trail running from Woodhouse Moor in Leeds (near Leeds University's Parkinson Building (the white tower) to Golden Acre Park. It is approx 7 miles long. It follows RoW footpaths (so NO bikes) through urban areas, parkland, woodland and some sections adjacent road. The walking is generally good, although the route through Adel Woods can often be very muddy. The route is generally fairly flat although there are a few minor 'ups & downs' but there's nothing too strenuous. The route is well waymarked both as the 'Meanwood Valley Trail' but also as the 'Dales Way Link Path' (from Leeds) which it shares the route with for 90% of the way (on OS Explorer maps you can follow the route from Woodhouse (Moor) to King Lane Farm).

I have walked the route several times (in both directions) and whilst it is generally a joy to walk I do have issues with the section between King Lane Farm and the entrance to Golden Acre Park. This is nearly 3/4 mile along busy road with no/or little footpath. From King Lane Farm to the 5 Lane Ends junction is along a 1/2 mile narrow verge that is a bit 'hairy' when you're facing the traffic (i.e. going to Golden Acre Park) but even more so when heading in the opposite direction - the traffic passes soooooo fast.

This is a great walk for energetic kids except for this last section where I personally would want an adult at the front and rear of any young troupe I was involved with.

A free, printable guide to the route can be obtained from the Leeds City Council website, just type Meanwood Valley Trail into the search engine and you should find what you're looking for.

Date of experience: September 2016