“for funeral”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“for funeral”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

while i know its not a park..it so dismal and dark and not somewhere i want to be for very long. my sons ashes along with my mums are scattered there

1 Thank ladycaroline12

• Polish first
Leeds
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not Quite Père Lachaise”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Some weeks back I heard a story thats Leeds council were seriously thinking of launching Lawnswood as a tourist attraction. There is one major flaw to this idea, I have been to Père Lachaise in Paris, but not for many years but off the top of my head I could name several famous graves.. Oscar Wilde, Simone de Beauvoir, Jim Morrison, Victor Noir and Marcel Proust. I have visited Lawnswood in the last 6 months and cannot think of of one famous persons grave.
Personally having visited many of the cemeteries across Leeds the one at Lawnswood is well loked after and only suffers minor problems with neglect and or vandalism. On a personal level I think visiting the Beckett St cemetery is far more interesting, though there one must look out for the locals excercising their pitbull type dogs.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank YorksPaul
leeds
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Appauling!”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My mum and I purchased a plaque for my father Paul Brear when he died suddenly in 2002 of a heart attack aged 56years. Every time I visit approximately once a week it upsets me to see that the cemetary is a such a dissrepair, the bricks surrounding my fathers plaque are broken, I have complained re the maintenance, but once they have your money they are not bother. The service itself was always very quick, more like a coveyerr belt. Other members of my family are scattered at Rawdon, far nicer, peaceful and they have genuine respect for the dead. I love to pay my respects to my father who i miss dearly but sometimes they are spoilt by the above issues.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank helensmithLeeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Explore the oldest part”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Lots of old gravestones horror film makers would love it

leeds
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Hidden Historical Gem in North Leeds”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Lawnswood Cemetery is located around 5 miles from Leeds City Centre on the road to Otley. It is on the main road and well served by buses from Headingley, which is around 20 mins walk away.
The Cemetery is a great example of a late Victorian cemetery, with several unusual and striking monuments some of which are Grade 2 listed. It also has an impressive and beautiful columbarium, set in peaceful woodland. The cemetery is closed to new burials but its 65 acres also contain modern graves and it is well visited. There is a war memorial in the "1910 extension" to the original cemetery which commemorates those lost in World War One. There are over 140 casualties of that war buried in the cemetery and many more commemorated on family graves. There are two chapels and a waiting room with toilets, and there is also a cafe at the front entrance to the cemetery. A Friends group is just starting up to make the cemetery even better. It is a must see for anyone interested in architecture, the history of Leeds, or anyone who simply wants an interesting walk!

Visited August 2011