“Best place in Leeds”

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
“Best place in Leeds”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Sorry for the late post but my holiday was slightly more important.....having walked into the northern monkey I was treated with a nice hello welcome.
I sat and looked at the menu, my partner and I decided we were quite hungry so ordered a selection of starters.....monkey wings, potato wedges and onion rings. Unfortunately monkey wings were off so a Cajun chicken option was offered and I accepted. We also then ordered the monkey burger...well the starters arrived and I thought I had ordered double as the portion size was huge....but were absolutely amazing....then the burgers came.....I can only say if you go to wetherspoons then to the northern monkey....you will never eat wetherspoons burgers again....fresh quality burgers at there best....amazing value....shouldn't have had all the starters though as I really struggled, but did manage it just...
Ian the boss man was polite and talkative without being in your face....
I love the place and food. Thank you.

• Visited July 2013

Pontefract, England, United Kingdom
“Best Breakfast in Leeds”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

for £3:50 this was a cracking breakfast to start the long day ahead, ok the barman (Mathew) not the best looking lad in the world but by JHC he can knock up a good old full English, quality sausage and bacon (fat trimmed for me) with a nice poached egg, i got just what i ordered took 20 minutes but it was cooked fresh and not deep fried like lots of places do their sausage, lager over priced but thats city centre drinking for you, im from a mining town and any lager over 2 quid is expensive to me, next time im up Leeds i will pop in and try one of the burgers (they looked nice)
thanks for making me feel welcome Mathew

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank FevRob
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Best burger in Leeds”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

I always visit the Monkey if I'm in Leeds, the burgers are great quality and really are amazing value. Never managed to finish one yet.

Visited August 2013
Barcelona, Spain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A city gem restored!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Many, many moons ago, before I became a full-time 50 year old hippy, I had happy memories of a pub in Leeds called the Guildford. My dad took me for my first-ever drink there, my pals and I drank there, I even took the odd girl there. Sadly, like many old pubs, it closed long ago, although I did pay a visit to its previous "new" incarnation when last in Leeds - Oxygen I believe it was called - only to find a drab, damp-squib of a "no-smoking" bar which frankly looked like a lost soul among the city's bars.

Bear with me, this is going somewhere:

I was back in Leeds last week and having been for-warned by friends that the independent bar scene in town was hardly thriving, I had pinned my hopes firmly on Leeds Brewery and was on my way to one of their houses when, wait - what's this?! The Guildford is alive again! Sorry, The Northern Monkey. Well, well, well. It had been a good seven years since my last visit "home" and here was the old girl not just back in the city, but looking promising. "Home cooked food" promised the A-Board outside. Live Music, a poster trilled. Sport too. If I wasn't mistaken, this was exactly what I'd been warned NOT to expect anymore. But would it be the sort of place a 50-year-old hippy with a slightly rose-tinted nostalgic view of Leeds armed with a copy of The Guardian and a cynical mind feel welcomed?

Oh. Absolutely it was.

I visited on a dreary weekday afternoon, about 3ish. The bar was fairly quiet save a couple of young lads at the bar and a young professional-type couple on one of the tall tables to the rear. The quite was punctured only by a member of staff spinning tracks on the decks, presumably testing the sound, the tracks themselves or both in readiness for the evening. And good music it was too, not mainstream stuff, stuff I like, that younger listeners would like, mainly indie stuff - 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. I only wish I could've come back for the evening.

Food then: home cooked was promised and from my experience it most certainly was good, honest comfort food. You don't have to go down this route though: they have burgers which seem from the menu to come either small, medium or downright huge and either mild or suicidly hot!

The service was great. I drank tap lager - a couple of real ale wickets would be amazing, but I appreciate that from talking to the barman that this place is an independent venture and a busy one at that so let's not ask miracles of them!

This is a super little bar, the restoration of a Leeds gem, and with lovely food, great service, a friendly welcome and an atmosphere that would suit football lads and lasses, young professionals, music buffs and even ancient hippies like me.

Thanks guys, an unexpected treat indeed.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank JoeyBarcelona
hull
“Scrapping Inside While The Bouncers Chatted Outside!”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

we were in this place less than 30 mins before a fight broke out and drinks were spilled all over, bouncers and bar staff didnt even attempt to stop it, barstaff ignored it and bouncers too busy socialising outside to get ot it in time....wont be going back at all, expensive booze and threatening atmosphere, avoid it if you value your health

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank phils1969
NorthernMonkey2007, Owner at Northern Monkey, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
I've just read your review of The Northern Monkey and would like some clarification if possible as your comments are extremely serious and I intend to get to the bottom of what you've alleged.

First of all, can you please let me know when you visited the bar?

You say our "bouncers" chatted outside - we've only got one and he only works the odd weekend so I'm a bit confused on that score.

I've asked every single one of my staff and nobody can recall a fight breaking out in recent months - can you possibly be more specific?

I have worked tirelessly to make this place work and we welcome everyone here unless they're causing trouble and we have a ZERO policy on trouble and I am shocked to see that you felt the need to report that the bar was basically a war zone and you felt like your life was basically in danger.

I'm not naive enough to think things don't happen but the picture you have painted makes the bar sound like something from downtown Basra and I can tell you now, we've had ONE call out involving the police in 5 years - I've asked every one of my bar staff who NEVER ignore trouble and the ONE doorman we have and nobody can recall an incident as you've described it. Anyone and I mean ANYONE who causes offence or trouble is immediately asked to leave or calm down and this policy is non-negotiable and NONE of my staff ignore ANY kind of trouble never mind a full blown fight which you have described.

I will accept any criticism if I feel it justified and know that we do make mistakes but this review is borderline defamatory and I would like some further clarification so I can get to the bottom of these VERY serious allegations if you could be so kind.