“Great burger but not so great pub”
Review of Northern Monkey - CLOSED

Northern Monkey
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: Bar
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Went twice on a Wowcher deal for a burger and drink. Very annoyed the first time we tried: my boyfriend rang to book a few days ahead (specifying the date and time) but was told there was no need, there would be free tables. But we turned up to find the place packed with people watching the football - something whoever had answered the phone call would have been able to anticipate - and had to go have lunch somewhere else!

We went back on football-free days. We both had the standard Monkey burger. It was absolutely huge, and delicious! I didn't think much of the onion rings, but the meat was excellent.

The pub itself lets the food down though. There were bits of food on the floor by my chair, the floor was sticky, and there was a bad smell around. And I'm not sure I like the giant painting of the monkey flicking the Vs! If the place looked a bit more welcoming, they could make a fortune off these burgers.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Sorry for the late post but my holiday was slightly more important.....having walked into the northern monkey I was treated with a nice hello welcome.
I sat and looked at the menu, my partner and I decided we were quite hungry so ordered a selection of starters.....monkey wings, potato wedges and onion rings. Unfortunately monkey wings were off so a Cajun chicken option was offered and I accepted. We also then ordered the monkey burger...well the starters arrived and I thought I had ordered double as the portion size was huge....but were absolutely amazing....then the burgers came.....I can only say if you go to wetherspoons then to the northern monkey....you will never eat wetherspoons burgers again....fresh quality burgers at there best....amazing value....shouldn't have had all the starters though as I really struggled, but did manage it just...
Ian the boss man was polite and talkative without being in your face....
I love the place and food. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

for £3:50 this was a cracking breakfast to start the long day ahead, ok the barman (Mathew) not the best looking lad in the world but by JHC he can knock up a good old full English, quality sausage and bacon (fat trimmed for me) with a nice poached egg, i got just what i ordered took 20 minutes but it was cooked fresh and not deep fried like lots of places do their sausage, lager over priced but thats city centre drinking for you, im from a mining town and any lager over 2 quid is expensive to me, next time im up Leeds i will pop in and try one of the burgers (they looked nice)
thanks for making me feel welcome Mathew

3  Thank FevRob
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I always visit the Monkey if I'm in Leeds, the burgers are great quality and really are amazing value. Never managed to finish one yet.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Many, many moons ago, before I became a full-time 50 year old hippy, I had happy memories of a pub in Leeds called the Guildford. My dad took me for my first-ever drink there, my pals and I drank there, I even took the odd girl there. Sadly, like many old pubs, it closed long ago, although I did pay a visit to its previous "new" incarnation when last in Leeds - Oxygen I believe it was called - only to find a drab, damp-squib of a "no-smoking" bar which frankly looked like a lost soul among the city's bars.

Bear with me, this is going somewhere:

I was back in Leeds last week and having been for-warned by friends that the independent bar scene in town was hardly thriving, I had pinned my hopes firmly on Leeds Brewery and was on my way to one of their houses when, wait - what's this?! The Guildford is alive again! Sorry, The Northern Monkey. Well, well, well. It had been a good seven years since my last visit "home" and here was the old girl not just back in the city, but looking promising. "Home cooked food" promised the A-Board outside. Live Music, a poster trilled. Sport too. If I wasn't mistaken, this was exactly what I'd been warned NOT to expect anymore. But would it be the sort of place a 50-year-old hippy with a slightly rose-tinted nostalgic view of Leeds armed with a copy of The Guardian and a cynical mind feel welcomed?

Oh. Absolutely it was.

I visited on a dreary weekday afternoon, about 3ish. The bar was fairly quiet save a couple of young lads at the bar and a young professional-type couple on one of the tall tables to the rear. The quite was punctured only by a member of staff spinning tracks on the decks, presumably testing the sound, the tracks themselves or both in readiness for the evening. And good music it was too, not mainstream stuff, stuff I like, that younger listeners would like, mainly indie stuff - 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. I only wish I could've come back for the evening.

Food then: home cooked was promised and from my experience it most certainly was good, honest comfort food. You don't have to go down this route though: they have burgers which seem from the menu to come either small, medium or downright huge and either mild or suicidly hot!

The service was great. I drank tap lager - a couple of real ale wickets would be amazing, but I appreciate that from talking to the barman that this place is an independent venture and a busy one at that so let's not ask miracles of them!

This is a super little bar, the restoration of a Leeds gem, and with lovely food, great service, a friendly welcome and an atmosphere that would suit football lads and lasses, young professionals, music buffs and even ancient hippies like me.

Thanks guys, an unexpected treat indeed.

1  Thank JoeyBarcelona