“An enjoyable meal”

Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2014

A lovely relaxing evening, this is not fast food but beautifully cooked food served by friendly staff .The flavours are interesting and you can watch them make the fresh naan in a large oven. We loved the starters ...Mirza Ghasemi ,Houmous ,Yoghurt and Torshi Seer ....aged pickled garlic,delicious mains I can recommend the Deezi Makhsoos Devish ..a traditional Persian stew (£6.00) The finishing highlight was the Persian Ice cream but by this time we were so full we had to share one.Located on a main road, you can park directly on the forecourt/pavement in front of restaurant .

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Service was friendly but slow although they did warn us when we arrived.

We had cold starters with great naan bread that was very fresh and not too thick and filling. We all had the same for main course - a chicken and lamb kebab. They were very tasty but I found the chicken a little tough.

After reading about Jamie Oliver's endorsement on their website, I was expecting the earth and didn't quite get it.

I'm glad I gave it a go but probably won't rush back - especially as they aren't licensed.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

well I have been in Darvish few times and every time I find the food amazing and very well done. My favourites are the the starters as they are perfect and very nice with the hot bread. the only slight down side is that the service some times takes a bit longer than expected especially when you got kids as this makes stay more difficult for us. I will keep visiting

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I discovered Persian food in 2008 and managed to find Darvish and a couple of other places in Leeds to try (well before they were on trip advisor or any other review site - I actually wrote the first review on a different site in 2010). It immediately became one of my favourite local restaurants.

What I love about it:

The food - obviously this is the main thing. The best food in the restaurant, and something I just can't reproduce to the same quality at home, are 2 of the aubergine dip starters; the mirza ghasemi and kashke bademjan. A friend goes and just orders 3 of these and no main and I'm often tempted to do the same. The m g is my particular favourite - beautifully smoked aubergine and tomato. These are served with what they call naan, which will slightly mislead most people conjuring up the image of an Indian product. It's very similar, and is cooked in a tandoor type oven in the same way, but it's thinner and the texture is better. In parts it has a melt in the mouth quality similar to a communion wafer. Basically, it's delicious. For mains I always try and get someone to share one of the kebab sets plus one of the stews (khoresht). The kebabs are very good, but not the best I've ever eaten. For the khoresht I now always go for the ghaymeh which is a rich lamb and split yellow pea stew flavoured with dried lime, plus usually the option with added aubergine. Mmmm! Don't be baffled by the crisps on top. It's actually traditionally served with what we would call French fries on top so the crisps are not a huge deviation! I've never got to desert as there's usually so much food (I usually get a doggy bag). The teas are all lovely - I particularly like the cinnamon tea; just remember it needs a little sugar.

The location and decor - it's in Harehills. For me this is a plus as you're just not going to find a place like this in the city center. They would feel the need to be posher and the prices would be higher. Once inside, you're transported to what feels like a little cafe in Iran. There are pictures of Persia on the walls, the tv above the door is often showing pop music from that part of the world, and there are a few random touches which I love like the goat foot coat hook (unused unfortunately)! The tables are close together and covered with brightly cloths then covered in plastic. The tea sets show faded pictures of the old Shah and yes, the toilets downstairs are tired. I sincerely hope they don't change any of this as this is all part of its appeal. Prashad (originally bradford and now driglington) used to be like this but unfortunately changed for the worst by becoming smarter and increasing prices.

The price - it's usually around £50 for 4. The first time we went we left a tip and they ran after us saying we had forgotten our money. What more can I say.

The staff - just lovely.

A couple of years ago now Jamie Oliver paid a visit as part of a programme on local food. I was really worried as my 2 other favourite restaurants locally (Prashad and Salvos) had suffered following celebrity endorsement. Apart from making it harder to get a table, which is great for them, it's thankfully not changed.

Just go!

2  Thank Kate G
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I ate here with my partner and 3 children, all of us enjoyed the food, good variety and very tasty food with a great atmosphere. The staff were brilliant and explained the dishes in detail, you can tell there good at what they do and enjoy it.
My partner was not happy with the standards of the restrooms downstairs but thats a minor fault considering everything else is spot on.
We tried the persian tea, 3 starters, 4 different mains, 3 desserts and drinks all for less than £60 which is brillant value for a really good experience. My children compared it to eating abroad, they loved trying the traditional sweets, saffron rice and traditional ice cream.
Definitely going to be a regular.