“Hmmmm....”

Ranked #15 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Hmmmm....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Arrived at this hotel yesterday, i have often walked past the hotel but never been in, there was a big christmas party going on with a live band who were doing their sound checks whilst we were checking in making it hard for me to hear the lady on reception and it seemed like she was getting fed up with the noise. The hotel had duplicated my booking, giving me one double room and one twin, when I said that I had only booked one, they cancelled the double and gave me the twin! I was staying on my own! The lifts were a complete farse to work, not even going to the correct floor until we had inserted and taken out the card 4 times. Arrived in the room, however I found it was very dark, yet was extremley spacious. The signal on the television was rubbish, making it impossible to watch, despite it being via satellite. Also the television was dated and very small, we are in the digital age now! Was impressed by the speed of the wireless internet and the ease of connection. I attempted to get a bath, however, despite the temperature being on as high as it could go, it was only luke warm water. Also found the room very cold, and the window was looking out onto a wall with no natural light.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Durham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

I have read trip advisor, but never rated a hotel but felt I had to on this occasion. This hotel is very smart as far as the reception and bar area are concerned, but this is where it ends. The room itself was a let down. freezing cold on arrival, but overheated in the night. the wallpaer was filthy, looking like it had foot and hand marks all over it. the carpet was filthy, worn and obviously not hoovered, the one high window might as well have been bricked up, as that is all I could see, if I stood on a chair to look out. the bedding was dirty and badly fitting, so much so that I could see blood stains on the ancient duvet . the pillows were old and flat with god only knows how much dead skin content from previous customers....... my advice? save your hundred plus pounds and find a premier inn or travel lodge......or even a doorway in the center of Leeds

Room Tip: Just find somewhere else !
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Seaham harbour
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

I am a 45 year old man who has had many christmas meals in my working life.
I have come to expect that these group meals are never really up to much as it seems that very few venues are ever able to cope with providing a number of meals for a group all at once. With that in mind I wasnt expecting too much but wasnt expecting a meal to be this poor.

Last night I attended the Raddison Blu Hotel In Leeds city centre for a meal with 45 others.
The surroundings are lovely and the presidential suite is a fine room.

However the staff form the downstairs bar to the suite above seemed little interested. When you spend £6.00 for a lager or £35 for a bottle of wine a smile would be nice. I am a hotel owner and am a forgiving customer as I know how difficult the business can be.
Over worked could not be used as an excuse as we were the only people in the hotel on that cold Monday evening. The group were a bunch of pleasant and respectful PHD students from Leeds University, we weren't a bunch of wild 18 year olds but a mixed group ranging from 24 to 46 year olds.

The food was lousy and I use the word deliberately, the delivery, look and taste of the food was amateurish in the extreme. The vegetables were an embarrassed. two small bowls of frozen mixed veg were unceremoniously plonked on our table of ten. The main course was luke warm. In fact I am so disappointed with the meal that I have lost the will to continue with this review.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mick_and_Jules
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear Mick_and_Jules

We have been reviewing our old comments from our Christmas offering. I would like to apologise that you previously had a bad experience and would like to take this opportunity to give you some information on our new and very much improved Christmas packages for this year.

If you would like to contact our Director of Sales Sarah Hawkins she will be able send you some information on the new packages that we have in place and I hope that if you give us an opportunity to restore your faith in the Radisson Blu Leeds, we will impress!

Kind Regards
Valerie Donaldson
sarah.hawkins@radissonblu.com
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

An enjoyable stay. This was a visit to our son at uni. The location was very central with main sites within walking distance. Parking was pricey but typical of city hotels. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Johndeirdre1
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Dropped in to this hotel for only one night recently as I was passing through visiting a old friend and wanted to see what Leeds offered. This hotel and the city plesantly suprised me, although I do feel a bit embarassed at jumping into a taxi to get to the hotel from the train station which is actually only about a 5-10 minute walk up the hill. The hotel was not what I expected, I was expecting just another average hotel room but instead I walked into a rather stylish art deco room with a uber comfy bed and very clean. The staff at front desk answered all my questions promptly and were very friendly and even suggested some potential bars and restaurants to visit, they made checking in and out very easy. The one thing I didn't expect was that my room window looked directly into the shopping mall but then it is right in the heart of the city, so its only a minor complaint. The hotel is conviently located within all the shops and bars, so it was just the case of walking to and from various locations. If I ever return to Leeds for another visit this hotel will most likely be my favored choice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. I will ensure your commets are shared with the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

right at the heart of Leeds, Loation is very good, all restaurants, pubs, shopiing centers and main train station are in just walking distance. Rooms were big enough. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

This hotel is right in the centre of Leeds which makes it a perfect location, particularly if you are travelling to the city by train as it is only a 5-10 minute walk from the train station.

The service at the front desk was particularly impressive, both on check in and checking out. I had an art deco room which I found not to my taste but some people may like it. I couldn't quite understand why the tv was positioned so far from the bed - you'd need a pair of binoculars! It also didn't help that the tv was tiny. The mattress was rock hard which made for a slightly uncomfortable night’s sleep. The room was a bit dusty in places, particularly around the bed and the huge art deco style headboard.

On the positives, the room was spacious and the bed was positioned well away from the main door which drowns out any potential noise from people walking along the corridor.

For breakfast, I was placed at a coffee table that my legs couldn't even fit under making it an uncomfortable eating experience. I think all the tables had been used up by other guests - I think the hotel should get some more suitable tables for such situations arising. The breakfast buffet did have a good selection of food though.

Overall, the Radisson Blu in Leeds is an average, very unusual hotel that could be good with a few tweaks here and there.

Room Tip: The art deco style room is an acquired taste so you may wish to consider what other styles are on of...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am pleased to confirm that we are making a few tweaks here and there over the next few months, in particular with renewing all televisions in the hotel. On occassions we utilise the space in the Lounge Bar for breakfast as an overflow at peak times, hence the seating was of a more relaxed feel. This prevents our guests waiting for tables to become available, particulary if our guests are in a rush. We offer three styles of bedrooms in the hotel; Art Deco, Italian an Hi-tech which can be requested subject to availability at the time of booking.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and the service was of a high standard. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.