“Sadly, I think the Premier Inn would have been better”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds
Ranked #17 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Sadly, I think the Premier Inn would have been better”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Booked through work for a business trip to Leeds. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Leeds station and five minutes from the new shopping centre. There are lots of chain restaurants in the area.

Check in staff friendly and helpful arranging transport.

I was not impressed that you have to pay to use at gym which is attached to the hotel, unless staying in a premium room.

My room was OK for £66. But the bed was pushed up against one wall, which I did not like. And the TV was at the other end of the room, so take some binoculars if you want to watch in bed…

Alas, my desk light did not work and the room was very dark overall. I asked for it to be fixed while I went to get something to eat. When I came back, it had been replaced but then I found that the TV did not work.

At first staff said that someone would be sent up to see to it. Then it transpired that engineers had been in that day and it needed more attention. Why I was given this room then in the first place is beyond me. The staff were helpful, though, and said that I could transfer to another room on the same floor.

I am not sure whose room it was, but she had to take out a bag of clothing as we went in. It was a nicer room and everything worked. The TV was also nearer to the bed, although you could not see it if sitting in the armchair. The carpet was also marked.

Breakfast was just about OK. Eggs are cooked to order but all the other items are on a buffet table and needed a little oomph. The bacon, for example, was a bit greasy.

Sadly, I think the Premier Inn would have been a better choice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Roland D
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to apologise for this. I would encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your experience so that I can look into the points you have raised. Please contact me directly on 0113 236 6007 or via email valerie.donaldson@radissonblu.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Valerie Donaldson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

helpful and genuinely friendly staff throughout hotel, business room worth it-comfortable bed, great location. tasty breakfast wold definately stay again. Stayed as a mini break-short walk into town centre, car parking and restaurant choices on doorstep-facilities well rated-used the gym/pool as part of business stay and was definately worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

1 Thank Kiri A
LeedsGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the team.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here for business for 2 nights. Good location and parking underground at the Light shopping complex. right in the middle of Leeds near all the shops.Make sure you get the hotel to scan your parking token to get discount on parking fee. Good size Hotel, nice clean rooms and excellent helpful staff.

Room was a good size and has an iron, trouser press, digital safe, good storage, desk to work from, big TV, bathroom has shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, body lotion. Air conditioning is also in the room.

Very good breakfast selection. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank danny p

Wiltshire
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I loved this hotel. The room was big and spacious, plenty of room to spread out, the bed was super comfy and the pillows were amazing, i had such a good nights sleep. The room was very clean.
The staff were all really friendly and helpfull, the breakfast was great.
The only reason why i didn't give it 5 out of 5 was becuase of the view from the room. My room looked out onto the shopping centre. This wasn't an issue for me at all as i was there on business so didn't have time to enjoy Leeds but i may have wanted a room with a view if I was staying there for pleasure.
That said, i will definitely stay here again and will recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: perhaps ask for a room with a view if required. But i had a standard room which was great so would...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MacPhillips

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. On your next visit contact us directly on 0113 236 6000 and our reception team will ensure that you get an external facing room so hopefully next time we can get a 5 star rating!

Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Warm welcome, lovely room, ideal location. Perfect for business and leisure. Very highly recommended.
I visit Leeds regularly with work and have taken the family for weekend breaks but I've never stopped here.
Going forward, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Christine S

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure that your kind comments get passed onto the team, as I am sure they will be delighted!

Thank you for choosing Radisson Blu Hotel Leeds as your preferred hotel of choice and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel is in the great location. It’s just a short walk from the station and very close to the shops, university and hospital. Being in a small commercial centre, it also has eating places and cinema on the doorstep.

The staff were friendly and provided good service. The room was well-equipped and clean. The only aspect that I didn’t like was that the rooms, or at least mine on the 2nd floor, was internal and so even with a window onto an internal courtyard, the room was dark and the lighting didn’t compensate.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank srejtt

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. On your next visit contact us directly on 0113 236 6000 and our reception team will ensure that you get an external facing room.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here because it was in a central location for Leeds and the station, and we have stayed at other Radisson's before.
We stayed in a junior suite. Nice enough, but could do with redecorating soon.
Bathroom smallish,only a bath with shower over it, we would rather have had a large walk in shower. However it was clean.
Coffee machine but not enough milk.
Our room overlooked the front of the hotel and we could hear all the traffic noise even when we closed the secondary glazing. The local rubbish wagon woke us up early morning!
Breakfast was fine, nice choice of cereals,croissants, cakes etc, the hot buffet ok.

The bar/lounge... well just ok really, part of the lounge doubles up as part of the restaurant so bit odd. I wanted to watch the rugby on tv but not many sofas around,had to sit on a chair which would be fine for eating a meal but not very comfy. Didn't give the bar much atmosphere.
We didn't eat here for dinner as we had a date elsewhere but to be honest there wasn't anything on the menu we fancied. Why do these chain hotels have menus which are far too fancy and not in keeping with the area where they are. We counted one table of two having a meal at 8pm, maybe we were not alone with this view.
My wife asked for a drink but the bar man didn't understand both of us! His english wasn't very good or his understanding where bottles were kept, we had to show him by pointing it out.
As with most hotels, the radisson uses keycards to open room doors but also the lifts. This is fine if the thing works! We had to get ours changed three times because it decided not to recognise my room door. A right pain when you have to go all the way back to reception. After the third time that day, a nice girl on reception told us not to keep it close to our phones, wish they had told us on check in.
Check out went fine, very friendly.
One thing we didn't know before we came, the swimming pool/spa is not part of the hotel but in the local virgin gym. We would have used the pool if it was part of the hotel but declined when we found out this. Not very clear on the website.
All in all we would stay here again if coming to central Leeds, as it is really handy for all the attractions.

Room Tip: if wanting a quiet room, don't get one facing the front of the hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert999517
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to apologise for this. I would encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your experience so that I can look into the points you have raised. Please contact me directly on 0113 236 6007 or via email Valerie.donaldson@radissonblu.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.