“Possiby the best Indian restaurant in Leeds 15”
Review of The Spice Quarter - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Leeds, UK
“Possiby the best Indian restaurant in Leeds 15”
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is now known as Spice Quarter after a refurb in November. The surroundings are lovely with a nice atmosphere and warm welcome. The service was excellent and choice of dishes on the menu vast.
We went for a mixed grill starter which could have served two if not a family of four and everything on it was delicious. We also had the samosas which were very tasty.
The main courses we ordered were plentiful and tasty having ordered a lamb balti and lamb Karahi. At £44 for the whole bill including a bottle of red wine it proved excellent value for money.
I really hope this place does well, they have everything right and it's a shame that it does seem quiet a lot of the time but please don't let this put you off.
We will definitely return.

3 Thank Laura300382

Yorkshire
“Not bad first impressions.......”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I had to think for a while on what overall rating I would give this restaurant, some elements were outstanding some not so good……

Let’s start with the booking process, we like others had a Groupon deal, and upon mentioning the Groupon we were pressured into arriving earlier than planned I asked for a table midweek at about 7pm we were asked to get there by 5.30. When I explained we wouldn’t be able to make it by 5.30 we were offered times at 30 min intervals until we settled at 6.30. Quite why the need to do this escapes me because the restaurant was empty at 6.30 and still empty by 7pm when we were still dining.

So first impressions were not going well, upon arrival we were greeted well and the terms of the Groupon deal were explained fully and politely. The waiter (only one midweek) came over to have a chat while we were browsing the menu. He was very polite and very eager to help.

The restaurant is spacious, clean and tidy. Although the elaborate up market design is somewhat at odds, with the paper plasticy table cloths.

I ordered a Chicken Tikka Phall (off menu) which was not a problem and he asked me how I liked it cooked and even the type of base curry to use, Madras or Rogan Josh etc.etc..

The starter came sizzling hot and portion size was excellent, offered very good value and didn’t seem to have been cut down because of the Groupon deal, this was a first for us. If I really had to complain I would say that the Chicken Tikka was a little dry and overcooked, but on the whole a good starter.

The main dish arrived and the waiter had brought some fresh green bullet chillies to accompany my Phall explaining that there had been a debate in the kitchen as to whether or not to use fresh chillies in my meal the waiter said Yes, the chef said No. It was nice to have a bit of banter with the waiter and didn’t find this overbearing.

The meal itself was cooked well with plenty of flavour, again the chicken slightly overcooked. Portion size again was very good. Was it the best Phall I’ve ever eaten? Certainly not, but it certainly wasn’t the worst and the eagerness shown to cook the dish to my specific taste was admirable.

On to a few negatives, like other reviewers, lacks a good local pub to have pre-dinner drinks, obviously not the restaurants fault. There were a few comedy moments, when the waiter left the kitchen the Indian restaurant music increased to night club level, we could hardly hold a conversation, the waiter entered the kitchen and the music went back to background again he left and it was Bollywood on acid again, this scenario occurred several times. Quite comical and funny, made our day but could have upset quite a few diners in the restaurant.

The menu itself is limited, no beef dishes- shows some authenticity, but otherwise very predictable and not very exciting, although typical of a British Indian restaurant, I would like to see some authenticity on the menu, not to all tastes granted but if it can be found in abundance in Bradford why can’t we have some authentic Indian cuisine in Leeds? Yes I know Phall is not a genuine Indian dish but Thali, Dosa, and Chole are but absent from the menu.

To sum up a good restaurant trying it’s hardest to succeed offering good value and good service. I will be back without a Groupon and Yes please the waiter was right, fresh chillies in my Phall please!

Morley
“Tabaq Restaurant, Halton, Leeds”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I bought a Groupon voucher for this restaurant, as it is close to my partner's home. The downsides first, which do not relate to the restaurant itself:

there are no reasonable pubs close by where you could have a pre or post meal drink. The nearest is the Brown Cow and Dragon roadhouse at Whitkirk, a few minutes drive away.

The Tabaq is well laid out with plenty of space. We booked for a Friday evening. We had purchased a Groupon voucher and informed the restaurant when the table was booked, and also on arrival. As a previous reviewer stated, we expected reduced portions, but this was definitely not the case. The terms of the deal were explained by the very efficient waiter.

The starter was served sizzling hot and was excellent! We both chose the chicken tikka, after having poppadums and pickles as a pre-starter.
This was quickly followed up with our main dishes, both served in hot metal servers on wooden 'trays'.

The food was as good as any indian restaurant I have been to. The service was also excellent.

I would happily recommend this restaurant for lovely food and service.

2 Thank kangaryu
Leeds, United Kingdom
“tabaq restaurant leeds groupon deal”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

we bought a groupon ten pound deal for 2 meals and booked for sat 5/5/12. we were seated and ordered drinks and had the voucher deal explained to us by the friendly waiter.our starters took a little while to come but we were not bothered by this, they were well worth the wait, coming out on a sizzler they were fresh and very tasty, i ordered a dish not on the menu which they cooked for me.
the curries were obviously cooked by a chef who took pride in his work , the presentation was good and the taste was very nice, i expected small portions for the groupon price but there was enough food for us , i did not feel that i had been treated any differently from full paying customers.they close at 10.30 and we were the last people to leave and were chatting to the owner who was very friendly and we were not rushed at all, we will definately eat here again and i am not easily pleased when it comes to curry, i cook my own from scratch and have high standards, this restaurant is well worth a visit!! well done tabaq.

1 Thank paul j
leeds
“very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I bought a group on voucher for £19 for 4 starters and main and rice but i would definately go again and pay the normal price, I went with my hubby and 2 children last wednesday. The restaurant was quiet but filled up whilst we were there, we ordered drinks we had popadoms with dips as a little starter and ordered our food which didnt take too long 3 of us opted for the lamb chops as a starter and my daughter had sheesh kebab which we all agreed was tasty especially the chops then we had chicken tikka masala at various strengths with pilau rice. we thoroughly enjoyed all our meal and was very full. Altogether an enjoyable evening. They do an early bird 2 courses for £8

• Visited April 2012