“Really poor attitude from staff”

Travelodge Leeds Central
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 6 August 2014

On first impression, I thought the hotel was nice (basic, but central). However, after returning from a meal and drinks we were treated like second citizens; we had to repeatedly state out rooms and our sirnames. This resulted in a (unnecessary) reluctance of service from another member of staff. I found being asked to pay (for a room already paid for) humiliating in front of other guests - especially as the member of staff in question had no desecration. Other guests in the bar stared and sniggered making us feel ever more uncomfortable as we were asked (across the bar) how we were paying for drinks, after the request to pay for the already paid for room had been made public.

I wouldn't wish anyone to be treated like this. Would not dream of staying again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank GME3

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My 2 friends and I travelled to Leeds for a girls weekend away , I had previously booked us into a standard room that was suitable for 3adults . As we arrived early we couldn't get into our room as this incurred a surcharge . We decided to wander into Leeds and come back at 3pm. Whilst out I received a call from the receptionist at the hotel telling me there was a problem with the room and would I accept a family room instead , I said that I would rather not and she was going to get back to me . When we checked in we we apologised to re the mix up with the room and were given a room each ......result ......the only problem was it was on the 4th /top floor ......no air con and no extra fans plus later that day a broken lift , it was a very hot night and to be honest if we were all in one room I think we would have melted , we had a poor night's sleep .......I wonder why no air con in a hotel that advertises to be modernised ....plus no vent or any airflow through the bathroom......overall a great location and very friendly staff .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel has no aircon, the windows barely open, so it's vey hot and stuffy. They have provided fans, but these just add to the already unacceptable noise from the railway and the bar next door - it was easily the worst night's sleep I've had in a long time.

Other than that, rooms are clean, modern and functional, although the single "bath towel" provided was threadbare and a really stingy size (not a size you'd buy for yourself at home). There was no hand towel. Come on Travelodge, I think most women will want two towels, and at least one of a good size !

Food is ok, not great, but reasonable value for money.. There is "free" wifi - a bit cheeky to claim it's "free" when you have to pay after the first half hour, but at £3 for 24 hours, not bad value anyway.

If it weren't for the aircon, this wouldn't be bad value, although I'm not convinced it wouldn't be too noisy, even with the windows shut.

Room Tip: Ask if they have rooms away from the railway and bar
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tripsie
Reviewed 4 August 2014

stayed here for one night august 2014. the hotel has been redecorated and is a lot better. new comfy beds and looks alot cleaner. the staff were very friendly. ideal hotel if looking to explore leeds city centre and all that it has to offer. nightlife, shopping and train station are all just 5 mins walk away with a car park next door. the only downside to this hotel is the noise from the passing trains. but otherwise would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A very typical 'good' Travelodge, well kept and clean. Right near the town centre so very convenient. On arriving by car drive into the Trinity multi-storey and then book into the hotel, the receptionist will stamp your car park ticket so there will be a discount. But beware it is still £10 a day. We came during a heatwave and were advised to take a lower room - the upper ones are very hot.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are the quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A party of us came for my niece's hen weekend. There was a great age range in the party with people in their early twenties up to early fifties (me!). Hotel was very clean, reception staff were AMAZING and nothing was too much trouble. Bedrooms were clean and functional with tea/coffee making facilities. Rooms were VERY VERY hot but we asked at reception and got a fan which really helped and this was at no extra cost. All in all an excellent stay - great value for money, clean, tidy, brilliant service from reception staff. Some of the larger, more expensive hotels I have stayed in could do with a lesson in customer services from the ladies and gents at this hotel - they were fantastic. We were only in the room to get changed and sleep so it was brilliant for us. The bar downstairs was good for late night drink/coffee or pizza and chips!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FranEcclesBech
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for my graduation for two nights. The hotel is clean, spacious and modern and the staff were nice, but due to the windows only opening a few centimetres and all of the doors being self-closing fire doors, it is extremely hot and stuffy. This meant two nights of very interrupted sleep, which was disappointing for an important family occasion where we didn't want to be tired. Surely the most important test of the passability of a hotel is whether you can get a good night's sleep, and this hotel sadly failed that, so I won't be going back and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family