“Excellent choice for all near station”

Novotel Leeds Centre
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent choice for all near station”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my daughter for our girlie shopping break. Highly recommend this hotel. 5 mins from train station, short walk into centre for all shops, bars, restaurants etc. very clean hotel. Good facilities. excellent room with fab wet room & great shower and seperate WC. Quiet. Definitely stay here again in future. We did not have breakfast, Yates pub short walk away does great all day breakfast for really good price.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa P
NovotelLeedsCentre, General Manager at Novotel Leeds Centre, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for you kind comments regarding your recent with us and I was glad to read you enjoyed your shoppping trip in Leeds. With my team, I look forward to welcome you bakc on your next visit to the area.

Ludovic Verzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business in May. The hotel is 5 minutes from the train station, easy to get to from the motorway and only a 10-15 minute walk from town.

The hotel provides on site secure underground parking and excellent facilities. The bar was average and not great for privacy if meeting to discuss work. I didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the evening food. Breakfast was excellent.

Facilities in the the room were very good despite the shower partially flooding the bathroom.

Would definitely stay here again

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments concerning your recent stay with us and with my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit in the area.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed here last month on a average day and got to the room to find it so hot! after a hour had passed i had tryed to turn the so called air conditioning down but with no joy it was still no cooler, 5 cold showers later i did start to cool down and went to the party we was attending.

we could only open the window 1 inch due to "Health and Safety" as the window had a safety cord on to prevent it being opened (god help us if there was a fire!) and on the lines of safety the large glass shower screen had no British Safety Kite mark on it (never seen this in a hotel).

The bathroom and toilet were separate but this made the using the toilet feel like it was a public cubical as it was very small but its not like you spend much time in there.

The shower had a sloping floor witch got very slippery when wet (shower mats were at request only).

was nice to have two pillows when we got there as most hotels don't and you have to go and ask at reception.
i was also shocked to find no bible, sowing kit or shoe shine and what a stupid idea having the Iron security locked to the board!

Breakfast was the best part, lovely! all food was hot and plenty of it, all well made and kept well stocked up.

staff were very polite and friendly and the room keys worked every time.

i would not stay here again due to the bad nights sleep from the heat!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank leedslad_12
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I was sorry to read of the inconvenience caused with the hot weather. Whilst we are currently making adjustments to our 'air-cooling' system, fans are also available on request. In the meantime, I am at your service and can be contacted directly at hotel.

Essex, UK
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Used this hotel a few times when on business. Easy checkin/out. Dining room quick and friendly, bar good but music sometimes a little too loud.
I would recommend paying just a little more for the upgraded deluxe room as these are better furnished that the standard rooms. They are not any bigger its just the standard rooms do look a little tired. Beds are comfortable and having stayed a few times and been in different parts of the hotel never had a problem with noise from traffic. Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. With my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Leeds.

Barnsley
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is the latest of a number of stays we've had at this hotel and it's got to be the most average of them all.

Nothing much has changed with the hotel since we last stayed in July of last year so decor wise it's largely similar. This time we stayed in an executive room and I don't think it's worth the extra expense over a standard or superior room. We had taken child with us and the bed that was made up for her was okay at best. We had a much nicer room for the 3 of us in the largely unmodernised Novotel in Newcastle last August so I was a little surprised that the executive room was more about the bells and whistles than the room and beds - comfort wins out over free mineral water for me!

For some reason the iPod connectivity didn't work properly and whereas we've rather become used to having our music playing/listen to the TV whilst we shower or use the bathroom the speaker system was not working or non-existant in the room we had. The Bose dock was good and we didn't use the Nespresso machine but I liked that disposable coffee cups had been provided if you wanted to make one of the drinks and take it with you.

I have to agree with a recent reviewer in that the air cooling system doesn't really do the job. When we stayed last July we actually brought a fan from home to deal with the heat of the room as we had experienced the problem before.

My main issues were with the check in and with the bar. The member of staff who checked us in wasn't overly cheerful and when we had to go back to reception as the 'Shopping Survival' kit that was part of our booking hadn't been put in our room they were rather unenthusiastic about sorting this out for us. We weren't asked if we would be using the leisure/fitness facilities leading me to believe that a judgment had been made about us before we even got to the desk to check in. That annoyed me to say the least as I expected better.

With regards to the bar we had called in for a few quiet drinks on our return to the hotel and there was what appeared to be a works event/party going on. The amount of swearing and general messing around was, even by my standards as an Irishman's daughter, excessive and was so loud that it couldn't be avoided. There was no effort from staff to get that cohort of customers to calm it down or perhaps move to one end of the bar area - in fact I'm surprised that if it was an organised event that there wasn't a private space for them. I guess that I'm not used to that kind of behaviour in the bar of that hotel but if we return again we'll just avoid the bar and go straight to our room! I'm not the sensitive sort but I expected a little better.

Breakfast the morning after was okay. The buffet cooked breakfast was mainly good if a little overcooked - all except the eggs which were close to dangerously undercooked and sent back by a lady a few tables away from us. Staff were however very helpful, bright and cheerful which made a big difference.

On check out things were much more pleasant and staff were very understanding when we had to request an unplanned visit by the RAC to sort out a problem with our car. Parking is a little expensive at £12 for 24hrs but for the security and convenience in a city centre we think it's good value.

We probably will stay again but it's certainly made me think that it's worth looking around to see what other options there are in Leeds city centre which is a shame as I've never felt compelled to do so before.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the executive rooms, superior or standard and as good. Take a fan in summer mo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I was sorry to read of your disapointment on this occasion, which is not typical of our usually high standards. I have spoken directly to the Senior Members in team to address your comments with immediate effect.
Please contact me directly on your next visit to Leeds as I would like to have the opportunity to ensure you have the most enjoyable stay.

Your sincerely,

Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 3 June 2014

For a conference at the University of Leeds, Novotel was a great choice for us. We were afraid the city centre would be a long commute, but it was easy both by bus and by walking. Shopping centers, eateries, and the outdoor market are close. A special treat is Harewood House, which you reach by city bus (though, when you get there, it's a long walk from the bus stop to the mansion). This Novotel is a brisk, business-oriented hotel with an excellent breakfast buffet and knowledgeable staff, and it works fine for tourists who want the Victorian architecture, monuments, and bustle of the city centre.

Room Tip: We chose an "executive room with queen-size bed and sofa" and were glad we didn't pick...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us and I am glad you enjoyed your Conference in Leeds. With my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area.

uk
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Second stay here. Since my last visit, the rooms seem to have been done up, with new furniture and a smarter look. The only problem I found was that the air conditioning was ineffective. It just didn't cool the room down enough, and so my sleep suffered, especially as it was impossible to open the window more than a few inches. However, when I mentioned this on checking out, the receptionist very kindly offered to give me free parking for the stay, which I greatly appreciated as it is a rather stiff £12 a night. The car park is directly underneath the hotel and is very convenient, but at that price I would think twice about staying for long periods.

I had another good meal in the evening there, but I question whether it was cooked properly as I had, shall we say, certain symptoms the following day. I have to say the meal was rather delicious, though. Service was uniformly excellent and professional and the hotel is in a very good location, easily walkable from the train station.

Overall I would certainly recommend this Novotel but I do wish that the aircon could be sorted out. I was told that they are looking into replacing the whole system, so here's hoping.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NovotelLeedsCentre, General Manager at Novotel Leeds Centre, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us and I was sorry to read of your discomfort with the temperature in your room. Whilst we are currently making adjustments to our 'comfort cooling' system during hot weather waves this is unfortunately not a fully air-conditioning system. In the meantime, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Leeds and should the weather be warm again, we do provide individual fans on request (this is currently being updated in the hotel services directory available in each room).