“Budget price but impressive service and food”
Review of The Kingston Hotel

The Kingston Hotel
Ranked #19 of 26 Leeds B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We booked the Kingston because it was near the Leeds Arena but had difficulty finding the turn into the terrace, a short tree-lined lane of imposing early 19c houses, because it's off a busy road and surrounded by many new buildings (mostly university).

After circling a few times we arrived and were given a warm welcome including an offer of help with bags. We had a twin (two double beds) on the second floor with dormer windows which would have a great view over the city but for the tall trees outside. It was spacious, had spotless bed linen and towels and comfortable beds. Two small gripes - the shower was difficult to regulate (what strange shower isn't?) and there was no bedside lamp although the two sockets between the beds were very handy for chargers.

Although we pre-booked room only (£45 for a Saturday night), we decided on arrival to add breakfast. This turned out to be astonishing value at just £5 each, offering a variety of cereals, fresh and canned fruit, yoghurts, pastries, croissants and a freshly cooked full Yorkshire breakfast of bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and beans which would put some 5* places to shame. My friend asked for scrambled egg and a plate arrived with the eggs plus all the rest - when she said she didn't eat meat, it was whisked away and a fresh plate brought straight away. It was pleasant to sit at the one big dining table with four other guests and chat about the fabulous Leonard Cohen concert the night before.

There is a small lounge, with magazines and TV, adjoining the dining area and reception. There's limited car parking at the front of the hotel but the Arena car park, £5 a day, is just down the hill.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I wanted a hotel close to the new Leeds Arena and didn't want to pay a fortune. I had room 24 on the top floor at the front. The bed was clean with good white duvet and pillows. There were three pillows though I only used two, the bed was comfy and the pillows fine, unlike other reviews. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful - they let me use the house phone for no charge when I had a problem with my mobile, they drew me a map of how to get to the Arena (10 minutes' walk) and generally gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble. The shower was good, with plenty of hot water. Tea and coffee making was good, there was a hair dryer and basically good facilities for one night. Downsides were no bedside light - if I hadn't had a light on my Kindle I would had to have got out of bed to switch the main light off. Also, breakfast isn't served until 7.30am, which is ridiculously late for a city centre hotel like this. I had to leave at 6.45am to drive back to the Midlands, so missed out. However, it's very god value at £45 for one night, and if I was going to the Arena again I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was quiet, being at the top of the house and at the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have a room on the second floor and it was really noisy especially at night time.

Our shower had a crack and stains on the floor. .

The room was quite spacious but the bedding did not feel very clean, and had dust.

The room had the usual facilities for tea and coffee - there were coffee stains on the tray.

I think it is a great hotel and room - just needs a proper clean!

I think it is excellent value as it is 20 mins walk from the City Centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had a basement room and it was very noisy. However, service was very good. Parking was a bit of an issue. However, price wise it's very good value. The room was clean and bathroom quite spacious. Location was good.

Room Tip: Don't get a basement room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is a lovely little hotel in a fantastic location. It is lovely and clean and the room was very pleasant.
The outstanding aspect of this hotel was the service. The staff were lovely and friendly and couldn't have been more helpful; from preparing things for my lunch to booking a taxi for me. They were fantastic, I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed the night before my son's graduation. The hotel was a little tricky to find but was well worth it. Free parking right in the centre of Leeds - bonus!. The staff was genuinely charming. We had two rooms which were clean, spacious and well worth the price. Each room had the usual tea/coffee facilities but also hair dryers and irons. The TV was a decent size flat screen.
Breakfast at £5 per person was a bargain and catered for all tastes.
I would most definitely stay at the Kingston if in Leeds again.

Room Tip: We had two rooms, one overlooking the front of the hotel and one overlooking the rear. Due to the se...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed here last night for our daughters graduation - great location being so close to the university, two very spacious double rooms, clean bathrooms all for a very reasonable price. Very helpful staff and great to have parking available. Only down side was that it was very hot and no air-conditioning but we are in the middle of a heatwave!

Room Tip: Only gave it average for sleep quality because of the heat but beds were extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family