“Needs some TLC”

Ranked #20 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Needs some TLC”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We only found this place because we used to live nearby. Track into the hotel is rough - the hotel entrance is nice, lovely staff, gorgeous dining room.

We were given a downstairs room, the double glazed window was broken, the shower was grody as hell. I noticed the slats on the sofabed were cracked (we didn't use it but could see under from the bed).

All night the Fire Exit light shone into the room with a bright green hue. Kept me awake quite a lot.

In the morning the breakfast noise started above us, creaky floorboards and talking and shuffling of chairs.

The room itself was large, with two pillows each and good Wifi. As we were only staying one night it was enough for us, but any more and I would've had to use the horrid shower.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you downstairs
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aileen E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My daughter flew in from New Zealand, and had mixed up her travel dates, the super friendly staff helped us immediately and changed the booking and collected our jet- lagged, weary travellers from the airport. This is the kind of service I would expect from a top class hotel-for top class prices!, They made us feel very welcome and not at all troublesome! The excellent service from this hotel makes me inclined to stay there each time we pass through Leeds, as it is a reasonably priced hotel with an out standing service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vanessa W
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel was not particularly easy to reach due to lots of diversions in the city. But it is brilliantly located opposite the University, and they had free parking during our visit. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was tidy and clean, comfortable bed. The shower did not work well at all. However due to its close proximity to the Uni, and the fact we didn't stay more than one night we did not mind too much. It served our purpose. A good basic hotel for a stopover.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A family run hotel just outside of the City Centre and very close to Leeds university. The Hotel is pleasant, friendly and helpful staff. The service has always been great and the rooms varied in price depending which room you stay. I have been working up in Leeds over a period of time and I have found my time spend so far comfortable, quiet and relaxing. The service is inviting, the hotel kept clean and the room serviced everyday. Breakfast is good value for money.

This hotel is a great option to stay in.

Room Tip: Room 4, has no window. But you pay less.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Attending a couple of events at the First Direct arena, it was close by and offered parking. It is hard to find. Welcomed by a very pleasant young man who offered to help with our bags.
We were in the roof in room 23. A somewhat sad room, crumbs on the floor was a bad sign, they were not vac'd over the two days we were there. The room had no bathroom accessed within the room, so we had to step into the corridor for 'our' private bathroom. Luckily in June no heat on, or it would not have been possible to sit on the toilet, with your legs rammed into the towel rail.
Neither door closed properly, the handle on the bathroom kept falling off (screws into hardboard) - the bedroom door only stayed shut if you locked it. The main light fitting hanging loose, so wiring exposed - dust on the top shelf and very restricted headroom above the beds. Tea and coffee, but not replaced for our second night. The entire area could do with a good clean. Fire safety not considered. seals around doors missing, doors propped open, extinguisher maintenance out of date. Not very impressed with this hotel - needs a bit of tlc

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The photos of the hotel are not quite as seems. Would suggest that whilst this hotel is near to all facilities and welcome we received was extremely friendly there is certainly room for improvement.

Hotel is quite tatty in areas, needing redecorating, has some serious stains on stair carpet, our bathroom appeared clean initially but there were areas such as under the basin which I had to clean, again bathroom in need of update

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cobham, Surrey
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here this month (May 2014). First impressions - difficult to find! When you approach, if you pass the University on your left, the hotel will be where the two roads merge It is laid down a turning on your right so take it easy and look out.
When I arrived I pressed the bell and was greeted by a very pleasant young man. I stayed two nights and he was there the whole time. Not sure if he's the only now who works here or if it's a case of they realise the rooms are so poor they put him there to please customers, because he really is very good.
The room I had, room 7, was really big and my first impression was largely good. But the room smelt musty. The curtains were broken and hanging off the rail and couldn't close properly. But the real deal breaker came when I went to get into bed... THE BED WAS BROKEN!!! The divan base was smashed in. There was a small foldaway metal framed bed out. So I decided to de-camp to there. In the middle of that bed there was a lump of metal sticking up. I spent two very uncomfortable nights in this place...!
Room 7 is right by the front door to the hotel so the noise of people coming in and out (including students drunk at 3am) keeps you awake...
When I came back to the hotel after a day of work I found the poor excuse of a bed had been made - ish... The duvet had been slung over the bed. No attempt to straighten pillows. The cup I had used for tea in the morning was still on the table uncleaned. The tea bags and milk hadn't been replaced.
Such a shame. The guy that works here really is wasted. He is so pleasant - you know when someone is genuinely helpful, not helpful because the job description says they should be. This guy is genuine. The location is excellent, a few minutes walk to the city centre..
If you stay here avoid room 7, you won't sleep.

I didn't ask fro a different room. Had I done so I amy have had a better experience. However my thinking was that, they clearly know the best was wrecked and have made no attempt to fix it... So it is what it is...

Room Tip: Avoid room 7!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business