“could have been better”

Weetwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I think a course in customer service is definitely needed at this hotel. I paid extra for larger rooms, but no air conditioning just a fan and at £119 per night that is not comparative with a premier inn which does offer air con.
The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work in both twin rooms despite having mentioned it in the morning to reception. On arrival back from the graduation at 2.30 the room had not been serviced. Very disappointing. Also the quality of towels, quilts and sheets were very low grade.
So lunch in the stables bar was a choice to chill. Bad decision. Over priced food for a pub but Robert the waiter was brilliant as we explained our disappointment at the minuscule portion size compared to the excellent breakfast choice. £10 for 8 pieces of scampi and over cooked chips! Pity his supervisor had not been to the same charm school as Robert as I have never met anyone who attempts to listen to the customer start with such a confrontational attitude as he had!
The breakfast staff were great and the choice of food very good, but on checking out I mentioned the lack of air conditioning being a disappointment whereupon I was told other rooms have them and I could have asked for one of those. Well it would have been nice to have been offered actually at check in as the allocation of rooms was incorrect despite phoning 3 days prior to our visit!
The hotel is owned by Leeds university but if it used as a training hotel for any hospitality course I can only hope that the training beyond our stay becomes on a par with the stunning location and the building itself. A hotel which looks as it does needs to deliver a standard of service the prices charged reflect. £13 for 2 glasses of very poor quality wine!
It has not got the wow factor which is a shame.

Room Tip: Phone and be specific about what you want.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Weetwood H, General Manager at Weetwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we welcome feedback in all forms. It is such a shame that I was not able to hear and address your concerns in person during your stay with us. Sadly not being aware of your full details via this review I cannot address a personal reply to you.

The team here at Weetwood Hall work very hard to deliver an exceptional customer experience, and I am sorry that you feel in aspects we did not provide this. I do note your kind comments regarding our building, grounds and breakfast team which of course are appreciated. We pride ourselves on offering a high standard in every aspect.

I read with concern your observations regarding maintenance and housekeeping issues which will be addressed with the team.

Here at Weetwood Hall we do pride ourselves on offering value for money for our food and beverage services. I can assure you that we are competitive in our marketplace and feedback such as yours is rare.

Thank you for your comments, and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Weetwood Hall in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've stayed here on several occasions whilst my daughter has been at Leeds uni. Plus points are comfortable rooms with excellent showers (the more expensive rooms are MUCH bigger and nicer, and quieter because your bed isn't so close to the door, but I only once went for an expensive room), parking is free and plentiful and there are buses right outside the door into town. The nearby gym is lovely. I never had breakfast here as it was so expensive, and I had dinner once and it was very average, but with lovely waiting staff. My most recent visit was really soured by an incredibly unhelpful woman at check-in. My daughter and I arrived (for her graduation) at 12.30 and I acknowledged that we were early but wondered if we could possibly use a room to get changed in. The blank 'no, they're all full or being cleaned' was so unfriendly, so unhelpful. Surely she could have looked to see which room was being currently cleaned and we could have nipped in for twenty minutes once it was done. She offered us the use of the disabled toilets and when I re-emerged asking if perhaps we could pay extra for a larger room and use that it was the same 'they're all full or being cleaned'. I realise I was asking for a bit extra but she might have said "I'm so sorry I can't help" or made some attempt to help. At £83 a night without breakfast I'd have expected a little less 1970s style service. But all the other staff were and always have been really nice.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the larger rooms if you can afford it, especially if there are two of you.
1  Thank bhojan-yatri

Dear Guest,

Your detailed feedback is of course welcomed by the team in order to understand our customers’ perspective. We do appreciate your loyal custom.

I am sorry that we were not as flexible as we could have been in offering you a facility to change.

Please be assured your comments have been passed to the relevant departmental manager for further review.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Weetwood Hall in the future,

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Booked to stay for 2 nights at this hotel. Checked in quickly enough and we were offered breakfast at a discounted rate so took advantage of the offer. When we got to our room nothing could have prepared us for how tiny the room is. I don't think I've ever stayed in a room so small and uncomfortable. The website obviously does not give you the truth about the size of the rooms but you practically have to climb over your partner just to get to the other side of the bed. The bathroom was almost the same size! The extractor fan didn't work and the windows where barely latched together.
We ate lunch at the stables pub which was pretty good. Nice seated area outside with plenty of tables for everyone. In the evening we were hoping to grab a sandwich as we were still pretty full from lunch and just wanted something to keep us going, but they do not serve sandwiches after 5pm. Odd.
There were weddings at this hotel and it felt like they were only interested in these guests rather than other guests.
Breakfast in the morning was buffet style and it was tasty enough although the sausages seemed to be pink inside and undercooked which put me off. It's hard to find anything positive to say about this hotel. Even the reception team seemed pretty miserable. Especially the head receptionist, no customer service and no smile from her at all not even an hello or goodbye. Quite sad. She clearly didn't inspire her staff! However the cleaning staff we're very friendly and would say hello all the time. Lovely ladies!
One of our friends did mention the size of the rooms and was basically told that that is what you book that's what you get. Without the website being clear on how small the junior rooms are, it's hard to gauge that the room would resemble a shoe box!
Overall we would not stay here again nor would we recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Evey80
Weetwood H, General Manager at Weetwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Your detailed feedback is of course welcomed by the team in order to understand our customers’ perspective. I am sorry that we weren’t able to offer you a remedy to your concerns whilst staying with us. Without knowing more regarding your method of booking or stay details unfortunately I am unable to be more specific in my response.

We do strive to ensure that our webpage is fully up to date with information across all of our available bedroom types, which are priced appropriately. We have recently completed a major refurbishment of all bedrooms and bathrooms therefore your comments are disappointing but we appreciate them nonetheless.

We take all feedback seriously and utilise it in a constructive manner in order to further our on-going training. We do understand that all guests should be made to feel welcome and offered a high standard of service in every aspect of what we have to offer. Please accept my apologies that you felt this was not the case during your stay with us.

Please be assured your comments have been passed to the relevant departmental managers for further review.

I sincerely hope that the manner in which I have received, accepted and responded to your views is a reflection of the caring manner in which we hope to develop the customer service levels here at Weetwood Hall.

I hope you would reconsider returning to Weetwood Hall and that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future,

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Check in was super quick and efficient, the receptionist was friendly and helpful. The hotel itself was lovely and the room was beautiful. I was hoping to grab a quick breakfast before an early start. I went into the dining room just before 7.00 and asked the waitress for a cup of tea. I can only assume that she went into the kitchen to pick and dry the tea leaves. Either way, by the time I left the (almost empty) dining room just after 7.15 there was still no sign of it. Overall, I was impressed with the hotel and its surroundings but the breakfast experience let it down.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank minicuttingblade
Weetwood H, General Manager at Weetwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your check-in here at Weetwood Hall and your feedback regarding our property.

I am sorry that your experience regarding breakfast was not a pleasant one and that we did not offer you a prompt service.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed for one night and will book again. We have booked for a wedding next year and thanks for help from Nicki in reception The room was clean and beds comfortable. The bathroom was clean and and modern in style. The breakfast was really nice and restaurant looks nice look forward to eating there next time.

Room Tip: Ask for room in a quieter area.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your experience of what we have to offer here at Weetwood Hall and we look forward to welcoming you back.

It is always encouraging to hear such positive feedback regarding the team. Nikki and the front desk team will be pleased with such lovely feedback.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked for one night plus 8 day parking. Lovely room, good staff. Decent meal. Good transfer. Shame about Mr.Chubb getting me to phone him early mid week from Portugal telling me I had to move my vehicle otherwise they would move it and I would be charged. When I returned it was not blocking anything, just wanted the space for tour de Yorkshire. Think you need to sort out your long stay.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Bishopofcranswick

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your comments regarding your park and fly experience with us. We do appreciate your kind comments regarding our accommodation and service.

We view all constructive feedback as important to the business and will bear in mind your comments regarding any future planning for special events.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at Weetwoood Hotel prior to flying from Leeds Bradford Airport, check in was swift and efficient. Had a superb meal in the Stables Restaurant , which was excellent with both of our steaks being cooked exactly as we ordered them. Transfers included in deal which was again very well organised.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkie2015M

Dear Guest,

We are pleased that your “Park & Fly” experience was as you required and we hope you enjoyed your holidays!

Your kind comments regarding your stay will of course be passed to the team and thank you for your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back to Weetwood Hall in the future.