“what a shame..”

Ranked #33 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
York, United Kingdom
“what a shame..”
Reviewed 10 February 2011

..as this place could be so lovely. I booked the most basic double room (without breakfast as we had an early start). We werent expecting anything grand for £60 but the room was tiny, we couldnt even walk round one side of the bed. The pillows were like slabs of concrete. We only had a couple of teabags so early eve I called down to reception to ask for some to be brought up. Reception transferred me to a man who said 'hello?' and when I started to explain what we wanted he hung up. I tried calling reception again but got an answer machine message. I tried again a few mins later and again got put thru' to the same man who hung up again! Called back at least 6 more times to get an answer machine message (I was getting really mad by then). I eventually got through to reception, and said dont transfer me, all I want is a couple of pillows and some teabags and explained crossly I had been hung up upon twice and had had to call at least 10 times. The girl from Reception came up herself, but didnt apologise or offer any explanation. There was a wedding on so I think the staff were busy taken up with that. Which leads me onto the next issue. The wedding party went on late with everyone outside smoking (under our window) and we got no sleep. Our heating seemed to be on all night which as our room was 8ft squared cooked us through. In the morning I had a shower, which had 2 temperatures, boiling or freezing. It was So awful. I booked it for my boyfriends birthday and I was actually really embarassed! We laughed about it but I think that was because we were sleep deprived. We were on our way on holiday (hence staying there as only 15 mins to the airport) to a cheap last minute which didnt cost us much more for the week than that place did for the night and it was loads better!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
WeetwoodHall, Guest Relations Manager at Weetwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Weetwood Hall, please allow me to respond to your submission.

We are very concerned to read that you found the pillows uncomfortable during your stay. We do appreciate that our guests may have different preferences of pillows which is why we offer alternative pillows on request. This additional service is promoted on our linen card which would have been situated on the bed and we offer memory foam and feather variations.

All bedrooms are equipped with tea and coffee facilities as standard. Each room should have two different types of fruit/herbal tea and four Yorkshire teabags. We sincerely apologise if this was not the case and appreciate a simple call to reception to request additional teabags and pillows should have been a quick and efficient task for both parties.

Weetwood Hall will ensure that additional training will be given to ensure this situation is not repeated. Our aim is to ensure all our guests receive an enjoyable and relaxed stay. We work hard to deliver high standards consistently and I apologise that on this occasion we seem to have missed the mark. It is regrettable that we did not get the opportunity to rectify the issues for you during your stay.

Thank you for your comments regarding the heating and the temperature of the shower in your room. Your feedback has been passed onto our maintenance team for an immediate review so that we resolve these issues for any future guests.

We are very disappointed to read that we have fallen short on certain elements of your stay; however we do hope this hasn’t tainted your view of Weetwood and you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Thank you once again for being constructive and giving us a fresh opinion, we treat all such comments in a positive manner either as part of our ongoing operational reviews or as part of a training need.

Kind Regards

Nadine Flanze
Customer Service Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Brackely
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 day stay at the Weetwood. We picked it from selecting the 4 and 5 star hotels in Leeds listed on TripAdvisor. We were concerned about some of the negative comments on Trip Advisor but they all seemed to be related to the small double rooms. So we were careful to select a refurbished superior double room. We were absolutely delighted with everything. All of the staff were helpful and freindly. The room was beautifully decorated with a high standard of furnishings. The room, bathroom and bed were huge with great views of the gardens. The Breakfasts were excellent with lots of choice. One small grumble was that on three mornings out of four the toast was burnt on one side but the quality of everything else easily compensated for this. We sampled some recommended Restaurants in Leeds on three nights and can highly recommend Salvo's about half a mile down the road (This was a winner on the Gordan Ramsey f word Television program). The one night we ate in the Hotel we tried the Pub set in the grounds. The food, the staff and the ambience was great. We spent one day shopping in Leeds and did not have the hassle of driving and parking. There is a bus every 10 minutes that stops outside the Hotel and for around £3 you can get a return ticket into central Leeds. We had a great time and wish to pass on our thanks to all the staff at the excellent Weetwood Hall.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Our room was the smallest I have ever stayed in especially as a rated 4 star hotel. There was no ventilation and whilst we could open the windows they led out on to a flat roof with a builders trowel there. The room was very hot in spite of turning the radiator off and my wife did not sleep because she was concerned about the open window which did not have any restraints and opened fully. With the window open the road noise was also very noticeable.

We also had great difficulty communicating with the receptionist whose English was very poor and we had to ask to have everything repeated.

However the "pub" had a good selection of beers and the food was very good for the price - about £15 for the two of us.

As this hotel was booked for us I do not know how much was paid - suffice to say I have requested not to be put in this hotel next time I visit Leeds

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed the week before for the same price and had a far superior room. The difference between the rooms was marked - this time we were given a room in the tower, 'We thought it was perhaps the clock tower given the constant "clunk, clunk, , , , clunk" that we were presented with. ( Apparently not the clock - it was something to do with the central heating). To be fair, the receptionist handled our request for another room smoothly and without fuss, The first room was, to say the least, very, very scruffy, We were moved to a quieter room, but - as a double room it was sadly lacking! There was only one way in, or out, of the bed - no bedside cabinet on the left hand side, and only one bath towel in the bathroom - not acceptable for two people, We were very disappointed that there was such a discrepancy between the room we'd had only a week before, and the room we had now.

Cannot fault the service though - especially Chris who was manning the Brasserie bar - an asset to the company - witty, charming and friendly and very professional.

Will we stay here again? Yes but only if we can get one of the superior rooms. The staff are exceptionally professional; it's a shame the hotel has such a discrepancy between the rooms,

Also, we ate in the Stable Bar - what a complete disgrace - the food has to be the worst I have ever experienced, Obviously warmed up in a microwave, parts of it were unacceptably hot while the rest was cold and totally inedible. I have never had to take a machete to a chicken korma before! Yuk - the worst bar meal ever.

If the standards of our first stay here had been maintained then I would have no hesitation in saying this was one of the best hotels we had ever stayed in, However, the discrepency in the standards of the rooms was very disappointing. I cannot fault the staff, who were polite, professional and friendly throughout, It is the hotel management or owners who need to look at the accommodation they offer for a fair price,

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anis1963
Lancaster
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We stayed at Weetwood Hall for two nights (Friday and Saturday) for a friend's wedding taking place on the Saturday. Check-in was easy and reception staff were efficient. My friend was very happy with how the wedding went and mentioned to me how helpful Joelle had been. There was just a couple of things which I didn't think were appropriate for a wedding being held in a 4 star hotel including the fact that some of the breakfast food counters (the type which keep the breakfast hot) were just moved to the side of the room (i.e. unhidden) during the wedding breakfast and evening party, there also seemed to be an untidy 'office area' in one corner of the room. There also didn't seem to be quite enough serving staff during the wedding breakfast, and some of the them seemed a little inexperienced but I guess everyone has to learn somewhere!

We stayed in a superior double room with a lovely big 6ft bed (which was actually two separate mattresses so is great if you have a wriggly sleeper with you!). The room was clean, well decorated, and also had a couple of arty modern photos of Leeds - a nice touch. The only problem was the amount of noise. We could hear everyone passing in the corridor and, as we were situated above reception with our window facing the front of the building, we could hear music from a wedding party on the Friday night until well after midnight and people talking to each other outside (we had the window closed but may as well not have). So if you do visit and want a good night's sleep, I'd recommend asking for a room without a window above the hotel reception.

We had breakfast at the hotel on the Saturday morning at £10 each. If I'm honest, I don't think it's particularly value for money. Other people on Tripadvisor have mentioned that the breakfast was good, but the fried eggs looked and tasted like they'd been out for quite a while and hash browns were beyond crunchy. I know this sounds a bit picky, but I've had cheaper, better prepared breakfasts at Holiday Inn Express hotels. To partly counter this, they did have a varied selection of breakfast items including vegetarian sausages as standard (bonus for me as I usually have to ask for these and wait 10mins or more!).

The hotel itself is a couple of miles North of Leeds city centre and is signposted from the Otley Road (A660) and the Ring Road. Guests are allowed free access to a Leisure Club a couple of miles away but shuttle bus services to it are infrequent. I didn't go so can't comment on it. However, I can say that the free wireless internet provided by the hotel was very useful.

As a 4-star hotel, my expectations were quite high. Unfortunately, some things didn't quite meet what I expected so I can only say that the hotel was reasonable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We were most fortunate to have my Daughter's September 2010 wedding at Weetwood Hall. Everything about the venue was wonderful, from the friendly & helpful staff - who gave service above & beyond our expectations in this delightful setting, to the fabulous food that everyone commented on as being the best they had experienced at a wedding. We really cannot express how perfect Weetwood Hall made this special day for us all, from the excellent organisation to the effortless execution of service they cannot be faulted. I would highly recommend anyone planning a personal event to make Weetwood Hall your first thought as the ideal venue.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We liked the setting of the hotel - the grounds made it feel like a country house although it was conveniently located on the Ring Road. The rooms we had were comfortable, very clean and excellent value for the summer offer rate that we paid. The nice, spacious lounge area at the front of the hotel was ideal for our family get-together. The food at breakfast was good - the veggie cooked breakfast being highly recommended by some of our party. The food at the Brasserie was so tasty that we ate there each night. The Stables bar served Real Ales which was a bonus for some of our party.
The staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
We liked the comfort and atmosphere of the hotel - when we stayed it was peaceful and relaxing. We liked the charm combined with with mod cons like free internet access.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family