“Best hotel in Leeds”

Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Best hotel in Leeds”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights having been here 4-5 times now.
Nothing to fault here really. Rooms are modern, clean and functional for a business user. Free WI-FI also a big bonus
Food and public areas are really good
Despite other reviews my experience of the staff was excellent. They were polite and helpful. The only negative for my party as a whole was the time it took to get our meals, nearly 45 minutes. Anyway whether intentional or not we were only charged for 1 out of 3 meals.
Have already booked a return and will continue to use this hotel for all my visits to Leeds

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Have stayed here many times, although had a 2 year break...my goodness what has happened???

This hotel use to be fabulous, first class food and service!!! Sevice is now poor, food has gone downhill, rooms and the spa is looking tired, you now have to pay for the carpark and quite frankly the whole place is over priced!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ExplorerIIYorkshire
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
I am extremely sorry for any disappointment you experienced at Thorpe Park last December. I would be grateful if you could find time to call me at the Hotel (01132641000) to discuss your feedback in more detail, as some time has elapsed since your visit. It would also give me the opportunity to apologise personally and hopefully arrange a time that you can return and enjoy your experience at Thorpe Park.

With Kind regards

Bedford
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This hotel is a tale of two halves. Firstly the rooms are comfortable and clean, the public areas are pleasant and well-looked after and the conference facilities are excellent. On the down-side, the service in the hotel really lets it down.

My room had modern decor, a comfortable bed, a good selection of tea/coffee etc. and the bathroom was similar. There was a good-size desk for working and the wi-fi (free) easy to connect to and fairly quick. Food was OK - not outstanding - and the restaurant and bar were nice places to eat. The conference area has healthy food and snacks all day and the staff there really keep on top of refilling what's on offer.

The biggest disappointment was the reception desk which to me is the shop window of any hotel. When you enter reception, there is often no one manning the desk - they seem to congregate behind a wall to the left of the desk. So the first impression is hardly welcoming. When someone arrives they are polite but not friendly, I had no offers to help with luggage to my room, reserve a table for dinner or anything. I also wanted to borrow a meeting room in the evening for 30 minutes to join a colleague for a conference call - the hotel wanted to charge for this (I have never been asked to pay for out of hours quick use of a meeting room before). Thankfully the general manager managed to sort me out for a FOC room. On check out, my bill had parking charges on (I had no car with me) and I know that other conference delegates had similar issues - I felt my bill was rather grudgingly corrected. The reception staff could often be seen walking around the hotel doing other things with grim looks on their faces. As they were clearly employees (the uniform and badges are a give away) they should focus more on looking more approachable and charming for their guests!

Room service was OK - the only niggle with service is you are told when you phone that it is 25-30 minutes and then it turns up in 10. A bit embarrassing if you decide to have a shower while you are waiting!

The spa here is very good and the service was friendly and helpful, can't fault it.

Overall I don't think I would stay here again - there are many more hotels who can be friendly and helpful plus get my bill right and I would rather spend my money with them. It's a shame as it looks as if it could be a nice place for a special occasion, but the cold welcome is something which could really spoil it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your review.
Whilst glad that you enjoyed much of your experience, I am sorry that the Reception team did not appear to be on top form during your stay
We will certainly review your comments with the team, as it is fundamental that all guests are given excellent customer service during the length of their stay
I am glad we were eventually able provide you with a complimentary meeting room for your teams conference call.

With kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Beautiful building (lovely high ceilings, good lighting, fab real fire). No complaints. Room was as would be expected in a business hotel, spotlessly clean and didn't have to ask for anything. Spa was lovely, although the lockers seemed to be a bit temperamental.
Food menu was really nothing special - I ordered room service which took almost an hour to arrive (would have expected better for a simple sandwich). A la carte menu was rather disappointing, but set menu was good value (even if I did have to ask the waiter for something that was missing from my plate - cue blank expression). Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and fresh toast. Reception staff utterly professional

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for a positive response to your recent stay, though sorry that room service took so long. Twenty minutes is our promised maximum time for delivery, so we will review why this occurred and put matters right.
Very much hope we can look forward to your return to Thorpe Park Hotel when you are next visiting Leeds.

Kind regards
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I have stayed at the Thorpe Park Hotel on a few occasions and the friendly service is always a notable feature, this seems to be a characteristic of all the Shire Hotels.

My only criticism on this occasion would be the room heating which appeared to have a mind of its own, resulting in me settling for the room being to cold. In fairness to the hotel it wasn't sufficiently troublesome for me to report the problem.

I will certainly return

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Many thanks for posting such a positive report following your stay. Thank you also for recognizing the friendly nature of the team at Thorpe Park, they are extremely appreciative – you obviously haven’t met the General Manager yet !!

Really sorry you had trouble with the heating controls in your room. On your next visit we will ensure they are in full working condition. We look forward to seeing you back at Thorpe Park soon

Kind regards

Sheffield
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Which is saying something as our expectations of this hotel are high. We have stayed here on many occasions and while the hotel has always been fantastic, during this stay we were particularly impressed by how helpful the staff were.

We had an interconnecting room for our son which was a bit cold and in no time a heater arrived. Brought by possibly the most helpful and courteous member of staff I have ever encountered in a hotel. This coincided with my discovery I had forgotten my son's trousers and he had only school shorts to wear (I had taken him straight from school with my husband coming to meet us from work).Upon sharing the news with the very easy to talk to lady (Belinda I believe) she immediately solved my problem with the happy news there was a Next just outside the hotel. AND even offered to arrange for someone to go FOR ME to get him some jeans so I still had time to take him for a swim!! The fact my fussy child refused this unbelievably kind offer in order to choose his own jeans was more than a tad annoying but we still made it back for a lovely swim.

After the swim I then had a problem with my locker code and the male pool receptionist told me he would get a female member of staff to help. There she was again as if by magic to sort my locker problems and even said soothing things at my rant that my husband was unavoidably delayed. Again she offered numerous solutions about dinner timings so my son wouldn't have to eat late even if my husband was. Wonderful woman. In fact my husband eventually arrived only a few minutes late for dinner and it wouldn't have surprised me if it turned out she'd gone to take over the surgery so he would be at the table on time.

Dinner was as fantastic as usual.I would go to the hotel just for the food even if there wasn't a spa. Service can get a little slower towards dessert time but they will even bring dessert to the room so you can get tired children out of the restaurant. Brilliant. Generally a very child friendly hotel, free interconnecting rooms with the affinity membership, their own fridge with goodies,room service milk and cookies delivered at bedtime and children's bathrobes!

This hotel is consistently good and we are never disappointed. We always leave this place feeling happy. A big thank you to lovely staff and a great hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Loverofluxury
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to post your comments – it’s great to hear that the team played such a big part in making your stay with us memorable for all the right reasons, and I know Belinda will be delighted to have been mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This was a very pleasant stay..............Nicely appointed room and the pool and spa facilities were well received.

The only criticism I have is that the a la carte restaurant was somewhat disappointing......but no big deal.

Will return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Good to hear that you enjoyed your stay – I’m sorry that you found our menu a little disappointing. We’re just about to launch a new spring menu with lots of new dishes on. I hope that you’ll give this a try next time.

Kind Regards