“restaurant very good”

Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We are spa members and as such get a discount off the restaurant. Visited in January, and whilst the restaurant was quite busy the food and service were very good. Nice to order and have the food delivered without the server asking who ordered what. They pride themselves on using local produce. Bread excellent. With the discount good value. Agree with the comments about the spa - not what it was, or should be.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We arrived in the middle of a gale - I checked in and before I got back to the car there were 2 members of staff begining to unload our luggage, which was in our room before we reached it. We experienced the same standard of service thoughout out 8 night stay. Every request was dealt with efficency and extreme friendliness. We were not disturbed by external or internal noise during the night, we slept very well, the housekeeping staff came back if it was not convenient to us to freshen up our room, requests for additional coffee were met with 'of course - is that enough'. The bar staff were very professional, we only requested our normal drinks once -on our day of arrival, from then on we were met with 'the same again' or 'your usual'. We found the selection and freshness of the breakfast excellent and once again the staff were extremely helpful and catered to our choices. When we entertained family & friends in the restaurant for evening meals & Sunday lunch they all commented on the high standard of the food. We used room service and the food arrived hot & within the stated time.
We used the spa treatments and once again found the staff very friendly & helpful.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were not charged for car parking - Thorpe Park will be our future hotel choice when visiting the area to see our daughter.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights having been here 4-5 times now.
Nothing to fault here really. Rooms are modern, clean and functional for a business user. Free WI-FI also a big bonus
Food and public areas are really good
Despite other reviews my experience of the staff was excellent. They were polite and helpful. The only negative for my party as a whole was the time it took to get our meals, nearly 45 minutes. Anyway whether intentional or not we were only charged for 1 out of 3 meals.
Have already booked a return and will continue to use this hotel for all my visits to Leeds

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Have stayed here many times, although had a 2 year break...my goodness what has happened???

This hotel use to be fabulous, first class food and service!!! Sevice is now poor, food has gone downhill, rooms and the spa is looking tired, you now have to pay for the carpark and quite frankly the whole place is over priced!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ExplorerIIYorkshire
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

I am extremely sorry for any disappointment you experienced at Thorpe Park last December. I would be grateful if you could find time to call me at the Hotel (01132641000) to discuss your feedback in more detail, as some time has elapsed since your visit. It would also give me the opportunity to apologise personally and hopefully arrange a time that you can return and enjoy your experience at Thorpe Park.

With Kind regards

Reviewed 31 January 2012

This hotel is a tale of two halves. Firstly the rooms are comfortable and clean, the public areas are pleasant and well-looked after and the conference facilities are excellent. On the down-side, the service in the hotel really lets it down.

My room had modern decor, a comfortable bed, a good selection of tea/coffee etc. and the bathroom was similar. There was a good-size desk for working and the wi-fi (free) easy to connect to and fairly quick. Food was OK - not outstanding - and the restaurant and bar were nice places to eat. The conference area has healthy food and snacks all day and the staff there really keep on top of refilling what's on offer.

The biggest disappointment was the reception desk which to me is the shop window of any hotel. When you enter reception, there is often no one manning the desk - they seem to congregate behind a wall to the left of the desk. So the first impression is hardly welcoming. When someone arrives they are polite but not friendly, I had no offers to help with luggage to my room, reserve a table for dinner or anything. I also wanted to borrow a meeting room in the evening for 30 minutes to join a colleague for a conference call - the hotel wanted to charge for this (I have never been asked to pay for out of hours quick use of a meeting room before). Thankfully the general manager managed to sort me out for a FOC room. On check out, my bill had parking charges on (I had no car with me) and I know that other conference delegates had similar issues - I felt my bill was rather grudgingly corrected. The reception staff could often be seen walking around the hotel doing other things with grim looks on their faces. As they were clearly employees (the uniform and badges are a give away) they should focus more on looking more approachable and charming for their guests!

Room service was OK - the only niggle with service is you are told when you phone that it is 25-30 minutes and then it turns up in 10. A bit embarrassing if you decide to have a shower while you are waiting!

The spa here is very good and the service was friendly and helpful, can't fault it.

Overall I don't think I would stay here again - there are many more hotels who can be friendly and helpful plus get my bill right and I would rather spend my money with them. It's a shame as it looks as if it could be a nice place for a special occasion, but the cold welcome is something which could really spoil it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your review.
Whilst glad that you enjoyed much of your experience, I am sorry that the Reception team did not appear to be on top form during your stay
We will certainly review your comments with the team, as it is fundamental that all guests are given excellent customer service during the length of their stay
I am glad we were eventually able provide you with a complimentary meeting room for your teams conference call.

With kind regards

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Beautiful building (lovely high ceilings, good lighting, fab real fire). No complaints. Room was as would be expected in a business hotel, spotlessly clean and didn't have to ask for anything. Spa was lovely, although the lockers seemed to be a bit temperamental.
Food menu was really nothing special - I ordered room service which took almost an hour to arrive (would have expected better for a simple sandwich). A la carte menu was rather disappointing, but set menu was good value (even if I did have to ask the waiter for something that was missing from my plate - cue blank expression). Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and fresh toast. Reception staff utterly professional

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Thank you for a positive response to your recent stay, though sorry that room service took so long. Twenty minutes is our promised maximum time for delivery, so we will review why this occurred and put matters right.
Very much hope we can look forward to your return to Thorpe Park Hotel when you are next visiting Leeds.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I have stayed at the Thorpe Park Hotel on a few occasions and the friendly service is always a notable feature, this seems to be a characteristic of all the Shire Hotels.

My only criticism on this occasion would be the room heating which appeared to have a mind of its own, resulting in me settling for the room being to cold. In fairness to the hotel it wasn't sufficiently troublesome for me to report the problem.

I will certainly return

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Many thanks for posting such a positive report following your stay. Thank you also for recognizing the friendly nature of the team at Thorpe Park, they are extremely appreciative – you obviously haven’t met the General Manager yet !!

Really sorry you had trouble with the heating controls in your room. On your next visit we will ensure they are in full working condition. We look forward to seeing you back at Thorpe Park soon

Kind regards

Gordon Jackson - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Holbeck
The Chambers Park Place
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
Radisson Blu Hotel, Leeds

Been to Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!