“A great girly spa break”

Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“A great girly spa break”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Just got back from staying at the hotel. We stayed on the dinner bed and breakfast package which was £109 on a Thursday night - was informed at checkout that there are different prices for different days which may have been nice to be made clearer when booking as the advert says £99 sun - thur, however this was not a problem. The hotel was very nice and clean. We had lunch which was very tasty, the only problem was the service did seem particularly slow but I would like to point out that all the staff were EXTREMELY pleasant and it is noticed and appreciated :) Our room was very nice and clean, good selection of tea, coffee etc too. We had a treatment at the spa (ESPA taster back, neck shoulder massage) which was brilliant, very very pleasant staff and totally relaxing. We then used the pools which were great too. Overall a good pleasant trip and I would come back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I will be passing on your comments to my team. With regards to the confusion over the price, I will be revisiting our literature to ensure that our advertised prices are clear and accurate.

Gordon Jackson - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I was fortunate enough to be place at the Thorp Park Hotel by my employer, just for one night.

While I can't give a total review, I found car parking to be well proportioned, reception very polite and helpful and the general appearance of the Hotel almost as new, with high quality fittings and furnishings throughout, and excellent service.

The Spa side of things is also good and clean, no complaints here!

Now for the room: Interesting, as it's based on the standard American design, but with added touches, such as the step down to the window, with a subtle night light LED for safety. BOSE sound system, a little dated, as no iPod dock, but sounds wonderful all the same, a decent TV and all manner of nice bits such as the Mini bar, Iron/Board, Dressing gowns and Tea/Coffee facility with quality supplies. Bible bashers fear not, Mssrs Gideon & Co have also been to every room...

Bathroom unexceptional size-wise, but not small either, with a Steel bath, separate walk-in shower with adjustable head and well lit vanity unit with a comprehensive selection of decent supplies.

The other facilities all appeared to be just as high quality, although I have failed, in this case, to perform a comprehensive review! Sorry! Also, the company paid, so I can't comment on prices, but I would expect the usual 'Hotel rates' in terms of food and drink!

I would undoubtedly stay again, it's minutes from the M1, and an absolute pleasure to visit.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor overlooking the car park, and had no issues.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
A lovely review, thank you and whilst you had to be away for work it sounds like you were very much able to enjoy the comfortable surrounding that the hotel has to offer. I hope that your next visit will be sooner rather than later, and perhaps this time you can stay for a bit longer to be able to enjoy the full experience that the hotel has to offer.

London
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel staff and events team were brilliant!

My company runs management skills training for doctors and I must have gold cards for every hotel, as we run around 3 events a week, at various venues throughout the UK. I'm used to everything being a bit of a fight really as there is so much scope for the third parties we work with to get venue details wrong.

We carefully brief our requirements for every event, and do site visits where possible, and when these measures don't work, we rely on getting to each venue the night before the event, to make sure everything is set up as required. This is the bit where the fight usually happens, and the hotel staff want to charge us for absolutely everything! We are used to hearing NO and " we haven't got any extra flip charts to give you " and " that's not on the function sheet" etc... Usually, after much discussion, an agreement is reached, but it always feels like a fight!

This hotel was a breath of fresh air.

The company booking the hotel had somehow misinterpreted cabaret style for up to 30 delegates to mean booking cabaret style for 10. When I arrived on Monday afternoon I asked to check the room and details, and that our box of notes had arrived. We quickly uncovered the mistake and my levels of anxiety rose. I needn't have worried - Thorpe Park Hotel's brilliant and flexible team sprang into action and sorted everything out. Not only did they sort it out, but they demonstrated by their actions and reassurance that their professional approach was of the highest calibre. It was like getting into a warm bath!! They understood exactly what was needed, and organised it.

As a result, I was able to focus on running the training, and delivering the event my client wanted, and the day was a huge success.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. I will ensure that these are passed on to the team, who will be delighted to receive positive feedback.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We stayed only one night, the room was modern, with a bath and walk in shower in the bathroom, Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries. There was complimentary tea tray, with biscuits and hot chocolate, you had the option of a complimentary newspaper. The room was a twin room and came with a comfy sofa. The only thing missing was a safe, the tv was quite old as well.

The halls, lobby and public rooms were very nice, clean, bright and airy, although it was a new building it had character and bags of style.

We dined in the restaurant which was excellent the food well cooked and very hot, the wine list was extensive and the staff were really helpful and friendly. Particularly good was Michael who gave us excellent service with a smile.

Breakfast was the usual mix of continental and cooked. The hot beverages were self service from a machine which was nice and they were very high quality. The choice of continental was reasonable but the cooked was a buffet served to you, what was disappointing with this was it was cold despite the service method.

The location is great as its just off the M1, not that you'd know once inside, there re some terraces adjacent to the restaurant with beautiful landscaped gardens, but we didn't get outside due to the weather. The spa and pool looked fantastic we would definitely like to go back to try both.

Room Tip: Ground floor was great.
1 Thank 186400Caroline
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I will be sharing all of these with the team, and will certainly been looking at the area were we seem to have fallen down, to ensure that we can develop and improve where possible. I do hope that you'll be able to join us again soon, and perhaps this time make use of the leisure facilities.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

As Usual with hotels this size, profit is everything, customer service is nothing.

Ordered an expensive bottle of fizz which was flat, sent it back only to be told by the manager that it was ok. No apology, no attempt at resolution, only interested in his bottom line, as per usual. Be warned.

3 Thank porky p
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online. I am obviously disappointed to read your comments, and concerned that the way in which your comments are portrayed differ to those of the manager at site, who dealt with yourselves. He recalls serving your Prosecco, when topping up your glass to finish off the bottle you felt that the fizz was flat. I would be happy to discuss your comments with you in person, as you can appreciate from the majority of comments we receive on Trip Advisor, these are certainly our of kilter and not the norm, so I am keen to ensure I get to the bottom of these.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to disucss the matter.

Amersham
Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

A good overnight business stay at this Shire hotel. Everything that you expect is available and some extras eg bathrobes and fresh milk for coffee. Reception was I felt a little brusque but was probably understaffed - telephone constantly engaged if you try to call.

Restaurant menu was a little "cheffie" but there is choice enough. My crispy duck starter was very good but my fish and chips main disappointing, hard chips and grey mushy peas. Buy 3 course on line £25 is cheaper than daily menu, breakfast bought online is £2 cheaper too.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ShireHotels, Gordon Jackson - General Manager at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay, the fresh milk is something that many people enjoy, it's just not the same having a cup of tea or coffee without it! In relation to your comments about reception and the Restaurant menu, and food served, I will be addressing these with the team to review.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed with several colleagues for a couple of days away. The stay was very pleasant and the staff assisted with everything we needed. Food was good and the facilities were a nice way to relax after our meetings. The hotel has a nice outside area but the car park end feels like an industrial estate. The hotel has lots of business people but this was the purpose of our visit so it worked well.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
It is alwats a chore being away from home for business. I fully understand and appreciate, but it is pleasing to know that the staff have looked after you and hopefully you managed to relax a bit whilst you were staying with us. Perhaps though next time, you will be able to come and enjoy a weekend away with family and friends.