“Great hotel, excellent location”
Review of Park Plaza Leeds

Park Plaza Leeds
Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, excellent location”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Have stayed here a couple of times and it's probably my first choice of hotel in Leeds now. Rooms are lovely and very clean. Haven't eaten in the restaurant but have heard good reports, can definitely recommend the breakfast though. The location is excellent, you literally turn left out of the train station and cross the road at the corner. Hotel entrance is opposite the shopping centre and the bars are just a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for your response, our Chino Latino Restaurant recently won the 'Best City Centre' Restaurant awards, why not book a table the next time you stay here?

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed here as I was on a course in Leeds for a week and compared to other 4* hotels this one left me a little underwhelmed

Hotel was booked a few days in advance of arrival and managed to find a great rate inclusive of breakfast. The location of the hotel is fantastic, across the road from the train station and 2mins from the city center.

All the staff encountered at the hotel were very friendly and courteous, but there were several aspects that let the hotel down.....it might just be me being picky though

The room (810) has a view over the city, out towards the shopping arcade that is being redeveloped....this didn't bother me until I soon learned that construction work went on until 11:30pm on 2 of the nights. Not something the hotel has any control over I know, but still not ideal.

The room was a reasonable size, if a little spartan. The room does look to have been recently renovated as everything looked clean and tidy.....except for the tv which was a real let down for me as I usually connect my ipad up to the lcd tv in room to watch films etc. When I asked the reception staff if they had any rooms with LCD tv's I was informed that at present none of them do but they would all be replaced once renovation work has been completed.

Also, internet is still charged for in this hotel, which is not something I am used to anymore. There is free internet available but the speed is so slow you cannot utilize it and I don't feel that I should pay £5 per day when every other hotel I have stayed in provides a good level of wireless service for free

The other disappointing aspect of the stay was that the gym was closed as part of the refurbishment but this was only indicated via a little sign on the check in desk. I feel this should be on the hotel website as the fact it had a gym was a factor to me choosing it to stay in. Despite this, because of its great location there were plenty of running routes along the canals within very close proximity.

Breakfast in restaurant was pretty tasty with a good selection of food, a nice pot of coffee or tea and very helpful restaurant staff.

Overall I would say this is an average hotel, nothing special although many of the things that let it down in my opinion may be sorted when the renovation is completed.

For the price I don't think the location can be beaten, which ultimately is its best feature

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thankyou for your feedback, we have now completed the hotel bedroom refurbishment and the TV's are scheduled soon to be installed. We do have regular discussions with the construction company and liase closely to ensure noise is kept to a minimum, I will take your comments forward to them. We are in the process of expanding our gym to a new onsite facilty which will be open very shortly.
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed bank holiday Sunday, fab location, near to many bars and restaurants, went to Akbars after a few jars and then back to Wetherspoons for some more, brill breakfast. Opposite the Train Station.

Room Tip: Cheap as Chips
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Why not book one of our bed and breakfast rates the next time you stay, we have a wide choice of hot and cold buffet items to 'graze' on in the morning?
Lanarkshire
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Perhaps one of the ugliest buildings in the centre of Leeds, but very close to the railway station.
with 18 floors, the rooms are bright and with modern decor.
Nice linen, and large bathroom- itself very clean, but there are many glass surfaces, such as bathroom door, which need attention.
good breakast , though some seats are very low to the table, making your elbows about the level of your ears!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Excellent customer service from all staff. Room very comfortable, clean and well appointed. Speedy check in and check out.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Leeds turns into stag and hen party central on a weekend and as this hotel offers some good weekend deals and is right in the centre, it can get quite busy.

We arrived as a family mid afternoon and check in took quite some time. There seemed to be a problem in that we had booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child. Eventually we were given our room key and headed up to our room.

Entering the room it was clear that we were a bed short so rang reception who instructed us to sit tight whilst they arranged another room.

After 30 minutes waiting I tried to ring down for an update but got no answer so we all headed back down into reception to discover a huge party or girls trying to check in.

Eventually we got seen to and after a lot of frantic phone calls were allocated another room. Upon arrival in this room, we could see it had not been made up. Another phone call and eventually house keeping arrived to make up the room.

When we returned to our room later a bottle of wine and some fruit had been delivered as an apology for the hours worth of messing about.

It is clear that on a weekend and at busy times, they do not have enough staff on to cope. I have seen this on previous visits to this hotel.

Over all the hotel itself is OK although parking is some distance away from the hotel so if coming by car, this may not be ideal.

This would never be my first choice for Leeds but as I said before, Leeds at the weekend gets very busy so options are limited.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your arrival at the hotel, I will follow up with the Front of House Manager, my apologies regarding the incorrect allocation of your room type.
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I booked the hotel for two nights while I celebrated my birthday and seeing Example play in Millennium Square, figuring I deserved to treat myself and also because I felt the rate on the site I booked through was reasonable. I was not disappointed.

Walking into the hotel made me feel like a superstar. It's a beautifully-decorated, contemporary layout and I was made to feel welcome - important, I feel, as a lone woman traveller.

The room was on the 17th floor and while the cranes dominating the skyline were unfortunate, it still gave me a gorgeous view, both at night and when I woke up on my birthday.

Access to the wifi was simple so I felt connected and the room was clean, attractively presented and modern - exactly what I was hoping for.

The bed was comfortable and I was able to indulge myself on my birthday with champagne in the bath and a really wonderful breakfast in the cool restaurant.

Can't recommend it enough. Especially as the staff helped me get my car out of the (minuscule) car park. Otherwise I think I'd still be there now, shunting backwards and forwards.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the rooms with a city view, on the higher floors. I'd recommend avoiding...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
, Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Thank you for the positive feedback I will share the comments with the team.