“enjoyable stay”

Park Plaza Leeds
Ranked #40 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Was really pleased with my recent visit. Had booked last minute for convenient location from station as I was getting in late at night. It really is just a 2 minute walk from the train station so perfect. I was getting in late at night, but the staff on reception were friendly and helpful. My room was great - fantastic bathroom which was spotlessly clean, and a great view from the window across the city. The queen size bed was comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. Really have no complaintes whatsoever - check out was hassle free and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
ParkPlazaOps, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear 89minnie89,

Thank you for your fantastic review of Park Plaza Leeds.

It really is great to see that every aspect of your stay was up to the high standards that Park Plaza are famous for!

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Leeds

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have stayed here several times and the standard has definitely slipped. The room was freezing and the air conditiong/heating wasn't working so they brought me a fan heater. The wifi cuts off if your machine 'sleeps' which is crazy. A massive queue for breakfast which delays you. All in all, I'll stay at the Hilton instead.

It was also really noisy with lots of doors slamming in the early hours.

Friendly, helpful reception staff though.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room near other doors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Ninachesterton,

It is disappointing to read that your stay was not up to our usual excellent standards and for this, I must apologise.

We are currently investigating your comments regarding the heating system in your bedroom and indeed the noise that you heard during your stay.

Breakfast at peak times in the Hotel can get rather busy, and I am sorry if you found that to be the case when you went down for breakfast. We do try to minimise queueing times by ensuring that the team are constantly turning tables around for the next guest and there is a dedicated breakfast host to seat guests as soon as the next table becomes available.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed Saturday night in an Executive room with the plus package which includes Executive lounge access with free drinks and canapes 6-8pm, full English breakfast and late check out until 2pm subject to availability.

The Pros: The hotel is ideally situated for restaurants and excellent shopping. From past reviews I expected the hotel and rooms to be a little dated but lobby, bars and our corner room were modern and clean - we even had a flat screen TV! Executive room was very large with an enormous King bed, robes and a Nespresso coffee machine in addition to the usual tea & coffee making facilities. We had booked through the Park Plaza website and requested a high floor and were given a top 20th floor room.
Cocktails in the modern first floor bar were excellent.

The Cons: At check in the very chatty and pleasant receptionist was not aware of the plus package at all and tried to charge us for late check out option and advised we could not use the Exec lounge. She eventually gave us late check out until 3pm to make up for the confusion and admitted they don't have many people booking into Leeds on the plus package.
The Exec Lounge was nicely stocked with drinks but when we went down between 6:30 and 7:30pm no members of staff were on hand and we had to eventually go and ask at Reception to have our taste of their restaurant canapes brought down (food was actually very good). When we returned at 10:30pm from an excellent meal at 'The Bar, Restaurant & Grill' over the square, our food plates and glasses had not been cleared from the empty lounge and it was clear that the lounge is not staffed or checked at all.

Breakfast was totally underwhelming - help yourself buffet to soggy, luke-warm sausages, bacon and scrambled egg (other eggs cooked to order) - not awful but not worth paying for and only rescued once again by the friendly staff.

In summary a nice modern hotel with friendly staff and great location. Would recommend the Executive rooms without the Breakfast rate and avoid the plus package at all costs.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John R,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

It is great to see some positives in there; Our friendly staff and recently refurbished bedrooms and bar, but equally it is disappointing to read that not everything was up to our usual excellent standards.

We are currently investigating your comments regarding breakfast, as this is usually something that receives great feedback.

With regards to your executive lounge package, I can only apologise for the lack of customer service you received. We pride ourselves on giving great customer service and this has identified a training need within the Hotel.

I do hope that you will stay with us again and allow us to restore your faith in Park Plaza Leeds.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

When booking, We requested that we very much needed a twin room only. We also emailed & had it confirmed 1 week before. On arrival, we were told only a double was available. After much arguing we were given the twin room we booked! Location is great but would not recommend as extremely unwelcoming, over priced & poor customer service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank lasernurse

Dear lasernurse,

I am sorry to see that your request for a twin was not actioned immediately, this is currently being investigated with the relevant departments.

As you make no references to any other service in the Hotel i can only assume that this was the the one problem you encountered during your stay?

We pride ourselves on customer service and if on this occasion we fell below our usual excellent standards with regards to your request for a twin then I am sorry and we aim to pick this up as a training need with the team.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I've just returned from a weekend with friends staying at the Park Plaza! Firstly the good points, the main one being its excellent location, just across the road from the station and round the corner from the shopping centre and Leeds' vast array of bars and restaurants. Secondly, both the rooms and communal areas are very clean. Thirdly, the rooms and ensuite bathrooms are very spacious and there's plenty of surface area in the bathrooms to store all your products.

Despite all these positives, there were just some niggley things that let the place down. Our wooden room door seemed to be scratched and the full length mirror in the bedroom was scratched and had a dent in it. The TV in the room was quite old fashioned (especially as the room was decorated in a modern style), didn't seem to have the full range of Freeview channels and had worse reception than the English channels in the hotel we stay at in Madeira! The lack of channels may have been because there were some foreign language channels further on, but there was nothing to indicate this if this was something you were looking for. The lighting is also not very bright so if you're doing something that you need good light to see you need to sit right under a spotlight.

The bathroom caused most of my niggles. We couldn't work out how to work the plug and we initially thought it was broken as there was a hole in the back of the tip where we thought a lever to work the plug should go. When we complained at 7pm on Friday night, we were told the maintenance man had gone home and so nobody could come till Saturday morning (we were surprised a hotel that size didn't have maintenance people working a bit later). We then mentioned it on Saturday morning when the message from the evening before seemed to have not passed on, and as there was no indication a maintenance man had been when we returned on Saturday afternoon, we complained again. It turned out the lever system had been replaced with a plug that you pushed in, then pushed again to get out, but there was no indication of this in the room. A small sign next to the sink may help, as its quite unnatural to push a plug down with no obvious way to get it out again, and maybe reception staff should be told this to help confused guests if they complain, and if the maintenance man had been to check while we were out, maybe a note to explain that it wasn't actually a fault would have stopped further confusion.

There was also a large mirror alongside the bath which was a bit off putting and I don't know why it was there, as there was two mirrors above the sink and a full length mirror in the bedroom. The bathroom door was also frosted glass, and although it was round the corner in my room, in my friends' room it was on to the main room, and you could see the outlines of people walking past. Again off putting! I was also surprised that there was only one complimentary shower gel, shampoo and body lotion in my room, whereas normally there's one for each guest!

These are all niggles, nothing serious and if anything I'm being overly picky. However, this hotel seems to want to be seen as an upmarket hotel, and these niggles in a way stop it being that, and could easily be put right!

I didn't eat in the hotel and the one drink I got in the bar was very expensive. There's plenty of places around for breakfast (BHS was perfectly adequate) and the tea and coffee trays in the rooms were well stocked!

I'd definitely stay here again though, if only for the location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shonio
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Having stayed at the hotel when it first opened, I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I returned 10 years later. It seemed as if nothing had changed. The reception area looks like someone who has no skill in interior design or ability to paint had attacked it with an emulsion brush.

The room was averagely clean - lack of attention to detail around polished areas and the toilet seat was left up which I felt was strange. Bed wasn't overly comfortable - foam filled pillows and synthetic duvets. The TV was a proper old school CRT which I haven't seen for ages. "High Speed" internet is free is you can endure lightening fast 256kbps (yep, that's right 256kbps!) and £5 for a 2048kpbs connection. In reality the internet was dreadful - totally unusable and I was unable to connect to my work VPN which almost never fails these days.

Room service from Chino Latino wasn't at all bad. Food was quite delicious.

Restaurant breakfast was average. Restaurant again in dire need of refurb and not the environment where you really want to start the day. Food was OK.

There are better hotels to stay in Leeds. Probably won't return next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Lifts are very slow so you might be better off on a lower flow so you can take the stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Clean stylish hotel our bathroom wash spacious with big bath and shower all facilities we could ask for. Reception staff were fantastic suggesting restaurants and points of interest very friendly and welcoming would definitely stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple