“DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL”

Park Plaza Leeds
Ranked #40 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Under no circumstances should anyone book this hotel. Myself and my 9 friends booked up in August 2013 for a two night stay in Nov 13. We paid via credit card and the credit card paid the hotel in the normal way. We travelled about 100 miles to the hotel only to be told that our booking had been cancelled by the hotel without any advance notification whatsover. We paid £67 each for the 2 nights but were told on arrival that the booking had been cancelled and if we wanted to stay at the hotel we would have to pay £164 each. The obnoxious arrogant manager refused to accept responsibly or give a reason why the rooms were cancelled and refused to accommodate us even though there were empty rooms at the hotel. All he did was give us a list of other hotels in the area and left it to us to find alternative accommodation, Luckily we eventually found another hotel who bents over backwards to help us and were also appalled at the way we had been treat and even threw in a free breakfast for all of us.

4  Thank Leigh C

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in November on a shopping and concert weekend. We booked a 'superior room which proved my first disappointment. Superior to me implies something better than standard but this is actually their standard room and it is that, standard. The website shows a modern room with flatscreen tv; ours was a little tired with a tv so old that I wondered whether it would have Channel 4. Flatscreen it certainly wasn't.
The flattering 360 degree view on the Site imply something of a decent size but our room was fairly small and dark. There is square footage on the Site but that means nothing to most of us.
On the positive side we asked for and got a very quiet room (avoiding the stage and hens). Staff were attentive and helpful throughout and breakfast was good. Parking was at the Q Park Criteria although it was cheaper to buy a weekend pass from them for 17 gbp where you could come and go all weekend.
Great location next door to Trinity shopping Centre and 10 minutes walk from the excellent new First Direct Arena (great view and acoustics).
Overall, it was okay but there are better rooms available in Leeds for less money

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter. Avoid rooms near lifts
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Not as good as the Queens hotel. Ok but nothing special. Rooms comfortable - rang to ask for robes in each room, was promised them beforehand. but didn't get them in all rooms. Bar not very inviting - barman rude. Booked 4 twin rooms and 3 bedded room - one twin was a disabled room with a sofa bed, not good enough, the rooms were booked months ago. Was given a complimentary breakfast after complaining, but not good enough. Breakfast was disorganised. Will not stay again unless no other choices, prefer premier inn and Queens. Was told by the hotel that a parks weekend parking was £17.00 and to get ticket from office, then overheard other people being charged £12 for weekend car park. To book breakfast over the internet was £17, to book at the hotel the nit before was £8 and to book on the morning was £16 - work that one out!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed over at this hotel after going to a function there. The function its self was great, the food was good, room ok etc. The hotel room was very dark, not enough lighting in the bedroom, not good for ladies getting ready. The room was also very dusty, bits on the carpet, quite old fashioned really. The location is great, opposite the train station, no parking as such here, so train would be the best option. Its close to Trinity shopping centre, restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Travel by train for this hotel, its so convenient.
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had been for a weekend visit to Leeds and ended up having to stay a few extra days unexpectedly, so booked this hotel through lastminute.com on the day I was staying. I only paid £55 room only through their 'secret hotels' deal - and honestly - I think that was a fair price. It is a 4* hotel but does not compare to the other 4 stars I have stayed in Leeds. The room was a little grubby - walls could do with a lick of paint to smarten them up, the carpet had chewing gum on, there are frosted glass doors on the wardrobe and bathroom - all of which had finger marks on, there was toothpaste on the bathroom tiles. All of these minor things wouldn't have bothered me on their own, but together they spoil the room. I didn't eat here so can't comment on that.

Would I stay here again, no. Can't understand why this place has 4 stars, realistically it's a 3* property. Leeds has so many other 4* hotels that are much superior and comparable in price. Had I paid full price for this hotel I would have been very annoyed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank barney
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We had a room booked here so that we could enjoy a few drinks and a meal with friends and not have to get a taxi home afterwards, something we frequently do. The morning of the stay one of our friends fell ill so the evening was rearranged. I called the hotel to amend the booking but because I booked it through lastminute.com they wouldn't deal with me directly. I called lastminute.com who spoke with the hotel regarding amending the booking to another date but, because I was trying to change the booking within 24 hours of my intended stay, they weren't prepared to entertain any amendments. Needless to say we won't be booking a Park Plaza hotel again, a £75 lesson in customer service for me and several hundreds of pounds a year trade lost for Park Plaza in Leeds.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DocJules
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed on the 6th floor 16/11/13. First the small bad points. Lifts were VERY slow even though there were 3 of them, I saw many people give up waiting and walked up the stairs. When I went to the bar there were no bar staff, there were two groups in front of me waiting, when I went to the reception to ask if anyone was manning the bar there was no one there either. Then two barman turned up and stood chatting rather than serving. massive queue for the breakfast in the morning. Bath took ages to fill, no hot water in the basin and no soap dish to put used soap. On the positives, excellent location, room was large and clean, breakfast was good with lots of staff.
Parking was free and just a short walk away. Bath was very large and we had a good night's sleep. Would I stay here again....??? yes I think I would...but I deem £160 for one night a bit excessive, plus £8.95 for breakfast. I would rate this hotel somewhere between average and very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family