“Lovely big room and view”
Review of Park Plaza Leeds

Park Plaza Leeds
Ranked #40 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here during our stay in Leeds on Valentines weekend. The rooms are expensive to other rooms available at other hotels, but if you want to treat yourself then this is a excellent choice. The reception staff are friendly and the room attendants clean the room exceptionally well. You have an added bonus that most rooms in this hotel offer fantastic city views, and Leeds has a stunning cityscape at night.

Room Tip: Ask for city view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaOps, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear upintheclouds2014,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your valentines stay with us!

The view at night from our higher floors is just amazing!

I do hope you will consider us for your next visit to Leeds.

Many thanks

There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Leeds

Reviewed 16 February 2014

LOCATION: Excellent, about 2 minutes away from Leeds Rail Station. Good access to shopping areas. Plenty of nice eateries nearby and even a Subway. Also supermarkets such as Tesco (minibar water is expensive). The hotel is within walking distance to the General Infirmary (25 minutes).

STAFF: Polite and helpful, especially if you need directions on departure. Check in and check out were both swift.

BEDROOM: Functional and practical with modern furnishings. Good size bed. Spare pillows in the cupboard. Good quantity of hangers in wardrobe. Iron and ironing board. Tea and coffee facilities. Minibar (didn't use). TV (small flat screen with quite a few channels). Good desk space and comfortable chair with wheels. Good lighting control.

BATHROOM: Excellent amenities (shower gel, shampoo & lotion). Nice fluffy towel. Quality loo roll. Kleenex tissues. Reasonable hairdryer. Excellent shower with temperature adjustment and good sized bath. Fog-free mirrors.

CLEANLINESS: Nearly perfect. The room itself was spotless. Just a few minor points (bottom hinge on shower screen door needed cleaning, one cup was slightly stained).

SLEEP QUALITY. Average. Although on a quiet corridor I was woken up by another guest leaving early in the morning - being a light sleeper the slightest noise wakes me up! The room was quite hot and the air con was a little tricky to use.

I got a great deal through lastminute.com so I was willing to overlook the minor points although I am positive if I had complained about anything the staff would have swiftly resolved the matter. The free wifi was useful for checking emails. For the price I paid I think it is an excellent place for an overnight stay. I'd happily book again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Shaanii,

Thank you for such a positive review of Park Plaza Leeds!

It is really great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I'm currently sat up in our bed at the Park Plaza typing out this review.
This is the first time I've ever written a review for a hotel before but I felt it was important to air my thoughts on our poor stay here.
We paid £120 via late rooms for one night in a superior room - which for us is a fair bit of money just for somewhere to sleep. But because it is a four star hotel - on late rooms - and we has booked a superior room and don't often get away much just us too - we own a gym, have a 3 year old and one on the way - we thought it'd be a nice treat before our next new arrival makes an appearance...
My partner and I have stayed in 2 star hotels before in Spain and they were exceptionally good value for money so we're not snobby when it comes to a good deal! The Park Plaza however is way over priced.

The good points about the hotel:

•its clean! The lobby, hall ways, lift and room are spotless
•the reception staff are very helpful - we came to watch a gig at the O2 and had no idea how to get there from the hotel and the receptionist handed us a map of the city with directions
•the hotel is brilliantly central - another reason why we chose this hotel online
•the showers are powerful - didn't want to get out from under it

Bad points about the hotel:

•it has no car park
•the superior rooms are small - the size of a basic room
•the tvs in the room have been set so they don't go that loud - if your eating and watching the tv you can't hear the tv at all and its only at the end of the bed and you can just about hear every other word when not eating
•you don't get gowns in the room - which I would expect in a 4* superior room
•the coffee making facilities aren't amazing - you get a few tea and coffee choices but only two little portions of milk
•the room service is awful and WAY over priced - the menu looks very tempting however - we ordered two pizza and chips and a cider for my partner which came to £40. We had agreed though that because the weather outside was awful that we would have room service instead of eating out so we were okay initially paying the £40 knowing we would spend more than that eating out. The pizza was most definitely not made fresh and for £12 each you get a 9 inch drab pizza that looks and tastes like a cheap supermarket one and the portion of chips are TINY.
•the bed in our room was terribly hard. I'm only 18 weeks pregnant so not that far on but would advise anyone who has any back/joint problems or is at any stage in pregnancy not to stay at this hotel. I am no longer able to sleep on my back due to the pregnancy so have to lay on my sides. I now have pressure sores on my hips and knees on both sides and my body is aching terribly - I'm not a big girl either! Under 10 Stone and still in size 10 clothes. My partner said he slept on his back all night due to the bed being uncomfortable.
•you get one skinny pillow each
•for our £120 fee for the night breakfast was not included

So over all I would rate this hotel as slightly below average in terms of value for money.
There are far better hotels in the city centre for less money.
We certainly won't be staying here again.
Amen!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 13 February 2014

An excellent stay for one night due to early start following day to catch train to London for New Year Celebrations. The bed was the height of luxury, could have snuggled up all day in it. The staff were friendly and professional and when leaving we were courteously shown to the exit nearest the train station. Absolutely loved our stay and can't wait to stay again.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room due to hubby being a light sleeper. Our request was granted and he slept...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyWanderers2014

Dear HappyWanderers,

Thank you for your positive review of Park Plaza Leeds.

I do hope you will stay with us again soon!

Many thanks

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Booked this hotel because it had a room for 3 adults, which suited our needs. The positives were friendly staff, good location and fantastic views from our 14th floor room. The negatives were a pervading smell of fried food and a room that really needed a good clean. The sheets on our bed didn't reach the top of the mattress, which is a bit off-putting and we only had one thin pillow each. The glass closet doors were covered in hand prints and other smears, the basin didn't drain very well, the wall handle in the shower was wobbly and there was an empty tissue box in the bathroom. It just gave the impression of a lack of interest. Breakfast was £15 each, so no thanks. You don't see many old-style big square TVs nowadays, no flat screens here. Too much choice in Leeds, so we won't be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank UKMarkB

Dear UKMarkB,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. It is disappointing to read that you encoutered some problems during your stay, these are currently being investigated by the relevant departments. This is not the standard we expect at Park Plaza Leeds and i apologise if on this ocassion we fell below our usual excellent levels of customer care.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is well placed for the city centre attractions in Leeds. We had an "executive" room, which was spacious and clean, if a little spartan. Unfortunately I did not find the bed to be very comfortable, nor were the pillows very soft. As a result I did not have the best nights sleep, despite the general air of quiet. The hotel bar is pleasant and the drinks were keenly priced, and the staff at the hotel were all pleasant and helpful.
The worst part of staying here was the hotel breakfast, which could only be described as dreadful...in fact possibly the worst hotel breakfast that I have ever had. To be fair, when we complained about this we were listened to and the charge for breakfast was refunded, but that does not alter the fact that we then had to find breakfast elsewhere in Leeds

Room Tip: Choose an executive room on one of the higher floors...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear RKH245,

Thank you for your review.
It is reassuring to see that most elements of your stay were to your satisfaction.
Regarding your breakfast expereince, i'm sorry if it was not to the standard you expect. The high majority of our reviews state how delicious our offering is and had you specified the individual reasons why you considered it to be dreadful then i could have taken these points to the relevant departments to action accordingly. You mention that you raised your points on the day so i can only hope that these have already been picked up with the breakfast team.

I will pass on your comments about our team being helpful and pleasant as this always provides a real boost to morale!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My first choice of hotel whenever I'm in Leeds. Staff were so friendly throughout my stay. My room was really spacious & clean. Bathroom had a shower and a bath. Loads of choice at breakfast - poached eggs made to order were perfect. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear LoopyLouNewcastle,

Thank you for a fantastic review of Park Plaza Leeds!

It is great to see that you enjoyed every element of your stay.

We look forward to your next visit.