“mid-week lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018

My husband, sister-in-law and I had lunch here today. The staff were lovely, very attentive and gave us plenty of time to choose our meals. Fish and chips for him, lasagna for sister-in-law and gammon for me. the food was delicious, hot and well presented. One of the staff saw me struggling with a sachet of mayo and immediately brought me some scissors-thank you. We have eaten here quite a few times and have never been disappointed.The pub is clean and welcoming. We will eat here again.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

We've eaten at The buffers 4 times...a family meal, a meal with friends and meals for just the two of us. Lunchtime and evening meal. Every time has been perfect...huge portions, hot fresh food and left feeling satisfied everytime.

Food is cooked to order so expect a slight delay but I can assure you, it's worth the wait.

Darren B, Owner at The Buffers, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Vicky, thank you for your 5 star review. It’s great to hear that our efforts are appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

When reading this review, please bear in mind that two of the diners were diabetics.
Table booked for 3.30pm.
Had to ask for menu's at 3.55pm.
Asked for our orders at 4.05pm.
Had to ask about our starters at 4.50pm. Just plating them up was the reply.
Starters arrived at 4.55pm.
Mains arrived at 5.15pm.
You will have to wait for the Yorkshire puddings we were told for two meals.
Child's Turkey ended up to be Pork.
An adult pork was served as a child's portion of Pork. This was whisked away to return 10 minutes later.
Still no Yorkshire puddings in sight.
The plates were cold, the food was cold, but we were starving by this time, if we had sent them back god knows what time we would have eaten.
We were offered free sweets, but we declined on the fact that there may not have been enough hours in the day, and the junior member of our party needed to go to bed before 9.00pm.
Another 10 minutes later the Yorkshire puddings arrived looking like they had been run over, flat as a fart ! Probably cold as well, i declined the offer of them.
As the long afternoon evolved the two diabetic members had to review their medication on several occasions.
As the young girl came to clear our plates, a pleasant girl who was not to blame for the fiasco, I put our points across to her as to how the meal had gone.
As a token gesture I offered to pay for the starters but not the mains.
She agreed that this would be acceptable due to the terrible service and food we had received.
We had 4 starters, the bill was £12.00.
I think they even got that wrong.
We left the £12.00 and left never to return.
Atrocious service and food.

3  Thank ianyoung2017
Darren B, Owner at The Buffers, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Ian, thank you for your very informative review. I have already held several staff and management meetings regarding Sundays fiasco. We have worked so very hard on getting a great reputation for our service and food, continually striving to make improvements. There were several key factors that led to such a poor service on Sunday but none that are acceptable to our customers. I have been appalled at the evidence put before me and can only unreservedly apologise for our performance during your visit.

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

Lovely old railway building that’s now a great pub and restaurant. The food in particular is amazing. One of the nicest, most tasty steak and ale pies I’ve ever eaten and the gravy was scrummy

Darren B, Owner at The Buffers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Thank you for your great review, the steak and ale pie is an amazing product that is always at the top of any recommendations. Loved by all!
We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2018

HOWEVER tonight it was extremely busy which isn't a problem but three items were missing from my meal, the grilled tomato the mushroom and the onion ring. The lovely lady serving went to get me 2 of the items but attention to detail shouldn't lapse just because they are busy. I will go again but felt a review was essential as i run a business myself and attention to detail is a must, this is the first time ever that this has happened and i hope it doesn't happen again. But the staff were lovely as per usual.
Can't fault the standard of cooking but please make sure all items are served on the same plate at the same time.
And this is constructive criticism only to be helpful.

Darren B, Owner at The Buffers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Thank you for your review Wendy and great to see you both again. As we discussed last night, I hope I have ensured that this does not happen again as I’m a stickler for attention to detail. Hope to see you again soon.