“A bit different but worth the visit”
Review of Friends of Ham

Friends of Ham
Ranked #80 of 1,950 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$10 - US$28
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Friends of Ham is a Bar & Charcuterie situated in Leeds City Centre. A buzzy Continental-style cafe bar that has recently been named as the Best Place to Drink in the UK in The Observer Food Monthly Awards and undergone a major expansion. Specialising in Italian & Spanish cured meats, the finest cheeses from around the world, sherry and wines; we also serve up craft beer by the bucket-load with 14 taps and over 150 bottles.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Finally got to visit for lunch, interesting concept and enjoyed the meat and cheese platter washed down with a cider. Service was good and the downstairs room has a good ambience. Definitely one to visit again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went with friends and had an amazing experience, really relaxed and chilled out, great food, beer and wine - we will definitely be returning!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I visit Friends of Ham all the time for drinks. It probably has one of the best stocked craft beer fridges in all of lucky Leeds coupled with the ale available on tap and it's extensive wine list, it's right up there with my favourites.

I visited with a friend on Saturday 10th May for a bite to eat and had a pretty bad experience. We arrived and were shown to a table, ordered drinks, a sharing platter and tap water. We then moved tables because the one we were seated at was huge and we were just 2. We let the staff know.
And then we began our wait. We waited for tap water for 10 minutes and after asking 3 further times we finally received 2 bottles from 2 different members of staff. We then embarked on a 30 minute wait for our sharing platter. 30 minutes is an unreasonable amount of time to wait for proscuito, belly pork, cheddar and brie. We asked a member of staff when we would be likely to receive our order and were given bread and olives to appease us whilst we waited another ten minutes for it to arrive. It did finally but it wasn't what we had ordered and seemed to be without the sides as described in the menu. We pointed this out and were then presented with the correct order and politely requested to place all of our orders with the lovely chap who rectified things for us. Throughout all of this our wine glasses were kept topped up with delicious reccomendations by a really efficient and professional woman.

Because we had waited for so long for our food it kind of spoiled the time my friend and I had together, she was visiting from London and our time was limited and I would have preferred not to have spent it pondering curiously the whereabouts of our lunch and then wrangling over incorrect orders. I had also built Friends of Ham up so much to her that she was really excited to visit but was left dissapointed and wondering what all of my fuss had been about.

I'll always come back for drinks but I'd be reluctant to eat here again. The food here is delicous and it is clear a lot of love and care goes in to its preparation but it is very expensive and having to wait 45 minutes for bread, ham and cheese isn't my ideal use of a Saturday afternoon with a friend I don't get to see very often.

2  Thank Strypee
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Don't let the name 'Friends of Ham' put you off this amazing eatery. Whether you're having a catch up with friends, a romantic date or just a Saturday afternoon Lunch... call here! You won't be disappointed!

Both a bar serving bottled and tap beers and wine, this is also a charcuterie! Misplaced on New Station Street... don't miss out!

We ordered a two meat and two cheese charcuterie (£14) , with a side of olives and additional bread.. you won't be disappointed! We asked the friendly waitress to select both the meats and the cheeses. Enjoyed with a glass of Syrah made for a perfect Saturday afternoon outing!

I Will be sure to return again and again! Desperately in need of an outdoor area for the more sunnier afternoons.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have been here on a few occasions but having visited this week I was very disappointed. The drinks were poor and the customer service was lacking somewhat. There seemed to be 6 members of staff wandering around doing nothing, making the place look busy. It was like a boiler room and when we went downstairs it was even hotter.
one member of staff seemed more concerned about getting his bike out of the place and pushing past the customers who had prams.
I am sorry to say that I won't be visiting again. It was a great concept having charcuterie and ale. Just a shame that we had to wait a hell if a long time for a few slices of cured meat. Wouldn't advise going if you have a train to catch!