“My favourite independent Deli in Leeds”

Hepworth's Deli & Kitchen
Ranked #213 of 1,805 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$1 - US$26
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Hepworth's Deli Is situated in the amazing setting of Thornton's arcade in Leeds City Centre. Owned and run by Joe Hepworth and his amazing team, Hepworth's Deli aims to provide the residents of Leeds and West Yorkshire with the best freshly produced sandwiches, salads, artisan cheeses, hams and pastry items in town. Working with local suppliers whenever possible as well as using Leeds Kirkgate Market to its full potential Hepworth's Kitchen's main focus is to give it's customers a personal and friendly eating and shopping experience always focusing on quality produce cooked well. After 2 years of hard work running a successful private chef service Hepworth's Kitchen Joe Hepworth has decided to set up shop in Leeds. As a local lad Joe has worked in many of the cities top restaurants as well as Michelin starred restaurants around the country, and believes his passion for food and quality ingredients will make Hepworth's Deli a great addition to Leeds City Centre. Joe and his team look forward to welcoming you to the deli to try some amazing produce.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“My favourite independent Deli in Leeds”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This place is very small, but worth coming back later if its too busy. Their breakfasts are great, staff are friendly and the atmosphere is lovely too. They sell hampers at Christmas time, these are recommended gifts!

Visited June 2014

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Love this place”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great place, evolving menu, good staff and customer service.
The brunch is the best in Leeds! Love that it's small and intimate.

Can't fault it

2 Thank Jim C
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Fab deli hidden in the centre of leeds”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

After recommendation and the retrospective reviews on trip advisor then this place is a must try for brunch/lunch in leeds ! Hidden away in Throntons arcade just off the main Briggate shopping street makes it a ideal location for a lunch in Central Leeds.
I went for the Hepworths Deli Platter which is outstanding in quality, range and size. There was a selection of meats, cheeses, ham hock, salad, chutney and bread...personal favourite was the ham hock which was superb. On this occasion I couldn't manage a coffee or cake but was extremely tempted by their large range of cakes.
Service was casual but friendly and efficient
Obviously it's a small place and therefore in cases a victim of their own success as it can apparently be a struggle to get a table at times. Personally sitting on the stools at the breakfast bars watching the goings on in Thorntons arcade is part of its intricate charm.
This place is a must try for anyone wanting lunch in leeds !

Visited June 2014
1 Thank peachiepagan
Leeds
“Nice, but...”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am very sad to have to be a discordant voice, but we didn't think this place lived up the massive expectations created by the reviews on here.
To start with, the place is tiny. This comes as no surprise because other reviewers had anticipated it. Even so, there are only 3 tables and once they are full, diners wanting to sit down have to either use the wooden counter around the perimeter of the deli or choose to eat elsewhere. The place is so small once people have occupied the tables, there is very little room left for others to sit at the counter. Even the waiter/barman had to squeeze in between the tables to get to the customers.
On that note, service wasn't as phenomenal as it should have been. The guy behind the bar was friendly, yes, but he didn't come round to the table (a few steps away) to take our order, didn't provide us with cutlery (I grabbed it from the counter myself) and didn't greet us when we walked in. I do not expect service in a deli to be massively different from that of a bar's or a cafe's, but rather than made to feel welcome, the overall feeling was that the place didn't excessively value its customers.
We only ordered two breakfasts, so I can only comment on the quality of those two dishes. We had a standard English and a vegetarian breakfast (averagely sized and priced, both advantages). In the standard English one, the sausages were tasty but tiny, the black pudding was dry and overcooked (edging on the burnt) and overall it didn't stand out from the crowd in terms of freshness. My vegetarian breakfast was alright, although the hash browns weren't freshly fried/cooked. As far as drinks go, I have had far tastier and better made cappuccinos elsewhere (try Moments, for instance).
One thing which also left me baffled is the presence of cakes, sweet and savoury treats everywhere on the counter where you pay and/or get served. I understand this might be due to the size of the place and the actual lack of space, but I didn't think having pies and cakes uncovered and on the counter - exposed to sneezing, coughing, etc. - was hygienic or professional.
In general, we were a bit disappointed. The reviews on here I think tend to slightly exaggerate the qualities of the place. It has potential, yes, but in my opinion this is not being exploited to its fullest extent.

• Visited June 2014
Joseph H, Owner at Hepworth's Deli & Kitchen, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hi Andrea,

I'm disappointed to read you didn't enjoy your experience of Hepworth's on Sunday.

We do pride our selves on quality of product and customer service at Hepworth's and it seems on this occasion in your opinion we have fallen short of this.

I am sorry to here the size of the shop wasn't to your liking however we are a bit stuck with that problem really and we seem to be a victim of our own success. More often than not customers are disappointed they have to eat elsewhere as we don't have a sufficient amount of seating to cope with demand. We often have customers returning 2 or 3 times in their lunch break to see if they can grab a seat at our solid oak breakfast bar.

To explain our serving system it is very relaxed at Hepworth's and we don't really provide a table service as the Delicatessen is only 7metres X 4metres apart from obviously bringing your drinks and food to you. Orders are usually placed at the deli counter by the customer apologise if you expected restaurant service.

I'm sorry if Harry (the barman) didn't make you feel welcome at Hepworth's this of course isn't acceptable and we will work harder on this.

In relation to the food you received, I apologise if you felt it was below par, everything is cooked fresh though I can assure you. I also do feel the price point and portion sizes of our menu items are very competitive in relation to other establishments in Leeds.

Any problems with the food and coffees you received would have been easily rectified if brought to the waiters attention, there's really nothing we can do to fix any problems you may have had after you leave the deli. The chef and waiter working that day would have happily dealt with any issues and we wouldn't have wanted you to leave unhappy when the issues you have raised could have been rectified very easily.

I'm happy to see your opinions on Hepworth's are in the minority due to the glowing reviews we receive on Trip Advisor, however we will of course take your comments on board and try to improve and be more "professional" in the future.

Once again please accept my apologies and we hope to welcome you back to Hepworth's in the near future and we will ensure you have a more enjoyable experience.

Regards

Joe Hepworth

Owner
Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We caught sight of this tiny little deli while walking through the arcades and stopped to have lunch. What a brilliant decision that was. There were only a few tables and stools around a counter but what a find. We ordered 2 of the most delicious sandwiches. I had the Chicken chorizo and hummus with lots of little extras in it my husband had dressed crab with salad and sweet potato fries that were gorgeous and 2 really good coffees. The young lady behind the counter was charming and efficient juggling the diners with the stream of takeaway orders but we had a very short wait for our lunch to arrive. It cost us just over £15 but we were absolutely stuffed. The menu had many more delicious items on it and the pastries on the counter looked gorgeous. With this being the first time we had visited Leeds this made a really good impression on us and would definitely return. Highly recommended.

1 Thank janice_andrew