“Tapas with a black pudding yorkshire twist”

Ambiente Tapas Restaurant
Ranked #169 of 2,378 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Style: lively, classy, stylish and vibrant restaurant in the heart of Leeds’ trendy Calls Lane area Size: 94 covers, plus small bar and balcony Good for: couples, families, large parties, special occasions, working lunches, weekend drinks, casual lunch, formal dinner, access to Calls Wharf, Leeds Armories, Corn Exchange and city centre
Reviewed 6 October 2014

Went here on a date (as booked by my date) and I was not disappointed on both counts!. The greeting was warm and the young man who showed us to our table was a breath of fresh air as he was so enthusiastic about the menu.

We ordered 6 dishes and all were very good.. We had the lamb, belly pork, lemon sole, calamari and the Morcilla. My only feedback for improvement would be the potato bravas chunks were not large enough to absorb the flavours of the warm piquant sauce. The Morcilla was really tasty, but I would have preferred a regular egg, softly poached to the quail egg as it seemed overpowered by the black pudding. The Judias Verdes were a lovely supplement to our protein fest.

The atmosphere was relaxed as the restaurant was not busy which is understandable for a Sunday night maybe some background music would have been a welcome touch.

The wine we drank was amazing. We had a Rioja reserve which was delicious and considering I think the bill came to around £60 I saw this as great value for money. I look forward to going back on a Friday night and sampling one of the paellas.

2  Thank louisesw
Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed 5 October 2014

After being so impressed from my first visit, I thought it would be worth visiting again with a larger party of friends, visiting us for the weekend...and again Ambiente did not disappoint. We all had an excellent evening. And although a slight mix up with numbers upon arrival, they sorted us out so promptly with our table, to the point where the small issue was quickly forgotten and we all got on with the evening. The service was amazing...our waitress Hannah was personable, attentive and a fountain of knowledge on the menu, and made the overall experience a fab one. The food was excellent with so much choice for a very varied pallet across our party, and the tremendous atmosphere aided to the special occasion. I will most certainly return again!

Reviewed 5 October 2014

We visited this restaurant on the recommendation of friends. We arrived early evening and were pleased to get a table as there had been a cancellation. The waiter explained the menu in detail and we chose four tapas which came very quickly a piping hot. My only criticism was the belly pork, a little too fatty for my taste! We washed our choices down with a very nice glass of Shiraz each. Overall, a very nice dining experience with a friendly ambience. Service was excellent and the prices competitive. Will certainly recommend for either informal or special occasion dining.

Reviewed 4 October 2014

Good atmosphere on a Friday night. Very busy and like other reviewers we accepted a barrel table and bar stools as the place was booked up. The food was goodish; the UK versions of Spanish tapas staples did not work particularly well so perhaps expectation led to a certain amount of disappointment. If pushed I would advise against eating your meal in the barrel area. Fine for a drink before your table is ready but very uncomfortable for more than half an hour. I know I sound wingey but the seats are very unforgiving and the barrel rim "cuts" into your forearms. So if you are going there, book, or pick a quieter evening.

Reviewed 3 October 2014

A group of us (8 adults and 3 children) went to Ambiente Tapas for a catch up on Wednesday night. Having not seen each other for over a year with some living in Australia we decided to meet in Leeds as it was the easiest point for all to get to.

The restaurant is a reasonable size with separate areas for waiting in the bar and for eating, although when busier, the bar area is also used for eating.

The restaurant has a good atmosphere, with the cooking / kitchen area on show in the Centre of the restaurant so you can see some of the flamboyant dishes being cooked.

The menu is good and has a wide variety of foods including sections of meat, fish and vegetarian. We had a wide selection of things, but the Dates and the Goats Cheese were both excellent and I would highly recommend both of these. Also the Paella's looked good, although we didn't have one on our table.

There isn't however much choice for Children and unless you are lucky and your children have adventurous palates then they may struggle. For that reason, I would suggest this is more of an adult restaurant / couples restaurant than a young family restaurant.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and the staff were extremely good, we had a good number of dishes and drinks and we thought the bill was reasonable, indeed those of us from London, thought it cheap!

I would definitely revisit with my partner or a group of friends as I couldn't really fault the place.

Thanks for a good night