“Attentive, welcoming and great evening”
Review of Behind the Town Hall - CLOSED

Behind the Town Hall
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We went with a group of friends and did a blind tasting session as we had never done wine tasting before. Martin is such a lovely host who was very attentive, clearly passionate and took the time to talk over all of the different wines and the process in which they're made. The platter was very nice and after we stayed for more drinks through to the early morning. This place is small and not well promoted, so I urge people of all ages to go there and try the experience - it is a hidden gem in Leeds and have returned twice already.

2  Thank Sam S

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my afternoon wine tasting with Martin. Was nice to learn about wine without any pressure - as many people I often select wine based on look of the bottle rather than any real understanding and Martin did not make us feel silly due to this. Lots of lovely wine tasted and a couple of bottles bought to enjoy at a later date. I will definitely be back.

1  Thank Stephaniedawson
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I went with a group of 10 people and Martin offered us 6 tasters and a glass of our favourite, with a meat and cheese platter large enough for us to share.

Martin is clearly passionate about the food and drink he is serving and so it was not a rushed affair and the experience lasted a few hours. You get to choose your own music from his collection which is great!

A few of us stuck around for a few glasses of port and had a chat with him and it was a night which we have decided to repeat monthly as it is so enjoyable.

Down points : I found it hard to find any.

- The place isn't busy enough (We can help this). I have been with one other person and the emptiness can make it slightly awkward.
- Seating arrangement could be better

Get in there and enjoy the night :)

1  Thank Edmund J
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Had a wine tasting recently at Behind the Town Hall and my partner and I were so impressed that we've already been back, and plan to keep going there as a regular thing. At the wine tasting, Martin, our host, was attentive (without being overbearing), knowledgable and funny. He rustled up a spread catering for mixed dietary needs with great care and sensitivity, and he even let us play our own music through an iPod hooked up to the sound system. The tasting was great value for money. It'd be easy to walk past this place without realizing it's a uniquely quirky independent bar. I urge you to seek it out!

1  Thank Claire C
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Great little place that if it hadn't been for the Living Social voucher, we would not have known existed. Martin was the ideal host for the afternoon, and introduced us to some interesting German and Portuguese wines (tasted blindly, which added to the interest). Martin was very knowledgeable and happy to talk us through the processes involved in wine production, and explain the labeling of German wines.
The voucher also included a cheese and meat platter to finish off - after which we bought another bottle of wine to conclude a pleasant afternoon. Non voucher prices also very reasonable.

We will be visiting here again!

2  Thank michaelb722000