“Disgusted, depressed and disheartened”
Review of First Direct Arena

First Direct Arena
Ranked #10 of 155 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The first direct arena is a 13,000 capacity super-theatre that opened in the summer of 2013.
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Disgusted, depressed and disheartened”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We visited Leeds First Arena as the cherry on the top of a special day . . . expensive lunch, hotel stay, and fabulous Prince!
Or not.
Couldn't be more disgusted, depressed and disheartened at the sound quality. So much for a new arena with amazing acoustics.
We were sat in block 214, row H, seats 10-11. . . Premium seats that cost £125 EACH!
Our evening was ruined. I complained twice during the gig and we both filed complaints after enduring what can only be described as an old amp turned up too loud. We couldn't even decipher what Prince was saying when he spoke to the audience, let alone when the band kicked in. And, let's face it, it really is about the music with an artist of this caliber.
To place this before a paying audience was nothing less than an insult.
I saw Prince at the O2 seven years ago and he was amazing, in a far bigger venue, with no sound issues at all, so you can imagine how excited we had been and the disappointment that ensued.
We will be booking at Manchester Arena in the future.

We are currently in discussion with First Arena regarding refunding our ticket price.

2 Thank Lisa-1906

Bolton, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Vertigo sufferers beware!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We went to see Prince here and we were sat in 327. As we were one of the first in the place there weren't any one else sat around us. My, is it steep! Even to get to the 3rd tier, you have to take a glass sided escalator, by the time I sat down I was already sweating and keeping a good firm grip of my seat! If you suffer like I do, I cannot recommend highly enough to pay for a seat lower down, no matter the cost, it's well worth it.
The arena itself is quite well laid out to cope with large crowds, staff are friendly, easy to get around. The place is a bit cold, being grey all over, nothing a lick of paint wouldn't solve.

It is true what others have been saying on here about the sound quality, although it wasn't so bad anyone near us didn't leave early. The true greatness of Prince himself made up for any loss in enjoyment of the gig itself.

1 Thank Adrian M
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Prince - Hit & Run Tour.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The atmosphere in The Arena was amazing. It's just a shame the sound quality wasn't as it should have been. We were sat in 333 and there was definite problems with the sound at the start of the show. According to other Prince Fans on other Web Sites, that also saw his shows in Birmingham & Manchester, they stated sound quality was poor there too. Apparently, according to a friend that was at the front in Standing, Prince wasn't too thrilled over the poor sound quality either...!!! He kept sending mucky looks to his sound technician and glaring at him throughout....!!! When he finished the Encore that ended with 'Sometimes it snows in April', he did the action of 'Cut', with his hand across his throat to say 'No more'...!!!! He was also fuming about the guy in the wings that nearly dropped his Guitar...!!!! We even saw that from up in the Gods...!!!! Such a shame really, I just hope that he decides to return to Leeds so we can experience a Perfect Performance from this Magical Musician/Artist.
Well Done First Direct Arena for managing to book one of the Worlds All Time Musical Genius's. I look forward to him returning again, in the not too distant future....!!!

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Leeds Direct Arena Prince Show”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Whilst the Venue is new and modern, and we found the facilities plentiful and uncrowded, there were a few negatives.

1) The sound was terrible initially, really appalling!, distorted and way, way too loud. It was only about 6 numbers in that it improved. A very dissapointing start. No Excuse for it to be bad for that long!

2) As stated in another review, the temperature was uncomfortable by the last third of the show, to the point where it did spoil my enjoyment of the show, and i had to sit down for a while, rather than dance etc.... OK perhaps as stated it was turned off to optimise mist/smoke effects whatever, but at the price of making the audience uncomfortable.

We are coming back later in the year for Bryan Adams then Slash/Myles Kennedy, 3 strikes and out if things are no better then.

Huddersfield
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Le Your Orientation day”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Volunteered as a Tour Maker for the Tour de France in July. After completng the initial training the next step in the journey was a Orintation day at the Arena. Read and heard a lot about it as I live in West Yorkshire but this was my first visit. First impression as you approach - Wow! I t looks splendid. Once inside it continues to impress. The lighting and accoustics are spot on - I don't think there is a bad place to sit. I really enjoyed the presentation too so all in all a great day and a fitting start on my journey as on of the inaugural Tour Makers!