“Not a good experience but hotel very clean & tidy but a little far out……”
Review of Ibis Leeds Centre

Ibis Leeds Centre
Ranked #29 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Price online not cheapest available as per their policy so had to call to book which was frustrating and costly from a mobile as the person I spoke was not too helpful and originally told me to just keep trying every half an hour and the piece would come down as it was a technical hitch! Eventually she agreed to take the booking over the phone but it was a very long winded process considering I am an Accor club Silver card holder so they have all of my details….

Upon arrival we asked for parking guidance and was given a sheet with directions to a car park opposite but around a one way system (TGI Fridays) which we found but had horrendous problems with the pay and display. It was around 4pm and Reception had told us we would need to pay £8 to cover us until 10pm Saturday night as the rest of the time and Sundays were free – expensive especially considering we were so far out of town but fair enough we thought!

The meter however would not accept any payment after 5:30pm and just returned the coins so another visit to Reception and we were advised (behind a group of 3 girls with exactly the same problem) that we would need to return bang on 5:30 to add £2 to the meter or ring this number and do it over the phone. I tried to download the app as per the instructions but this didn’t work so we decided to call when in the taxi as we couldn’t return at 5:30 as we were leaving to meet friends for a 6pm table booking.

25 minutes spent on the telephone to Parkmobile registering and trying to sort out parking via a robot 3 times – no joy! No confirmation as phone went dead before finalising call on first two occasions and third time the price went up from another £8 to £10 and again the call terminated before confirmation - FUMING! We had to ask the taxi driver to wait at 5:25 so we could visit Reception to sort it out as we did not want a ticket, but this took over 20 minutes to sort out and resulted in my Husband having to then walk up and down 24 flights of stairs to the top floor (12) to get his car keys to manually go across and add money for a ticket from 5:45 to 10pm as the phone method had not completed and no confirmation text had been received and Lauren at Reception could offer no other assistance or advice.

After all this we missed our restaurant booking and could not get in until 10pm that night which ruined the anniversary meal we had travelled 130 miles to attend and the night ended with a row at the restaurant as we did not get our food until after 11pm by which time many things had sold out!

The hotel itself is fairly new and very clean. I found the beds very comfortable which is unusual and the bathroom and room itself were fine for a nights kip. Wardrobe with hangers, hairdryer and small bar of soap included along with shower gel inside the bathroom capsule. We were offered a free breakfast but as we didn’t finish eating until 11:55pm the previous night we were not hungry so could not take advantage of this but it looked quite nice – help yourself English and continental on offer.

Post stay it looks as though we have been charged for 4 lots of car parking totalling over £24 so am hopeful the hotel will refund this as per Lauren on Receptions comments as this ruined our night and overall impression of the hotel unfortunately. I have never in all my years found a car parking system so complicated but understand Parkmobile is ran via the Council so what’s the point in complaining?

Room Tip: top floor was quiet
2  Thank emskiv
SarahSiddons, General Manager at Ibis Leeds Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay with us. I was disappointed to read that you had problems using the park mobile system and the pay & display machine. Unfortunately as you mentioned the car park is owned by Leeds City Council and we have no involvement in the payment system. If you would like me to contact me directly at sarah.siddons@accor.com with the details of the charges taken by Park Mobile I can contact them to look into it for you
Kind Regards
Sarah Siddons, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Ibis Leeds Centre

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed for 1 night in a twin room with my friend for £28 for the room for the night. It was very easy to find from the train station and we were checked in by a lovely, smart, welcoming young man (sorry I didn't note his name - he said he had worked in Ibis in France previously) and he told us all the information we wanted to know about our stay.

The restaurant was open from 6pm and we went down sharp for dinner. There weren't many other diners and we were attended to immediately whilst we browsed the menu. I have to say I thought the menu selection was rather odd at first glance, but something for everyone I think ...unless you are vegetarian - limited choice for veggis - Curry of the day, Lamb shank, Lasagne, steak pie, fish and chips, thai curry, aberdeen angus burger, chicken burger etc. We both selected Lasagne, but had to wait an hour until it arrived. I would have understood if we had ordered steaks or mixed grill, but other solo diners who ordered after us were receiving their steaks and burgers before our food arrived. The waiter was very apologetic and the presentation of the dish was very nice and it tasted very fresh etc which made up for the wait.

The room itself was a twin - one double & one single. It was immaculately clean and very nice modern design. There were tea and cofffee making facilities in the room as well as a tv with a cable to connect any mp3 player via the headphone socket, hairdryer, extra pillows, nice long length mirror, bedside lights, stool etc. The beds were amazingly comfortable, really good quality mattresses and linen. I usually sleep with two pillows but one of theirs was enough for a good nights sleep. The wardrobe I felt was very small but fitted well with the layout of the room and was fine for a weekend or one night stay. I would have prefered a plug socket closer to the mirror for the use of hairdryers etc. but I could view myself from the bedside socket at a distance.

Being so close to the main road I expected to be disturbed by the noise of passing cars but in fact it wasn't loud enough to prevent you from sleeping. However I could hear several other guests in the hotel and was woken up several times in the night by what sounded like stagnant water falling from the shower head - which I later discovered was actually inside the bathroom wall, not coming from the shower itself, Im not sure if its other guests flushing the toilet but it was loud enough to wake me with a freight.

The bathroom was immaculate also and a great modern & compact design. The shower is more like a wetroom with good quality double doors and with a flat shower tray I expected to be wading in water afterwards but to my pleasant surprise it all went straight down the drain. The water pressure was great and you could easily get 2-3people/One large person in there, it was very spacious. Very Good lighting around the bathroom mirror.

I cant comment on the buffet breakfast because we don't really eat big fry up breakfasts and we didn't feel we would eat £7.99 worth of cereal and toast, so opted to visit Starbucks just a short 5min walk from the hotel. It seemed to be a good selection from what I could see and there were many business men in suits who appeared happy with the selection.

On checking out we were able to store our luggage for the day, free of charge in a secure room behind reception which was fantastic. Overall I was very pleased with the level of service, quality of the food and quality of the room. For £28 it surpassed what I expected to get for my money. I would have definitely stayed longer and would 100% recommend this hotel for weekend & overnight stays.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marie1234k
SarahSiddons, General Manager at Ibis Leeds Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear Guest Thank you so much for your comprehensive for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Leeds in the near future
Kind regards
Sarah Siddons

Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed at the Ibis City Centre Hotel on 4th January for a couple of days, a Birthday treat for myself. We have stayed at this hotel in the past and liked it, so we chose it again. I enjoy staying in hotels but dread hotel beds which are often less than comfortable. What a pleasant surprise I had at the Ibis, they have brand new memory foam beds, it was like sleeping on a cloud. My back says thank you. There was one unfortunate incident, of all the rooms to pick our room was on the 12th floor directly above a very noisy party going on in the room directly below us. We complained and the situation was dealt with quickly and efficiently by the Reception staff, we were offered the chance to change rooms if necessary but fortunately after a warning silence prevailed. We were very pleased the way the situation was handled and I don't think we could have had any better treatment in any hotel regardless of price. This is a very friendly hotel, clean and comfortable, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a better view if on a high floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team & our new beds made your stay enjoyable and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon to Ibis Leeds Centre
Kind regards
Sarah Siddons

Reviewed 16 January 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
SarahSiddons, General Manager at Ibis Leeds Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed here on business for the second time earlier ths year. The rooms were described by my American colleagues as being 'a monks room'. The rooms are fine, clean and functional- the lighting is sufficient and the power points are close enough to the bed that you can plug in your mobile over night and reach it in the morning!
The main drawback to this hotel is the bathroom- although wet room in style, it was incredibly smelly- i have no idea what the problems with the drains were- but it made the whole bathroom stink!
The breakfast in the morning is buffet style and i would not recommend taking it as an option- croissants were ok but the cooked 'English' bit was inedible- not worth the money!
The hotel is quite away out of the main town centre- close to two casino's but very little else.There are better options in Leeds, but i would stay here again if i had to.

Room Tip: Request a lower floor as there are only two lifts so it would take a long time to get a lift to and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly. Kind regards Sarah Siddons, General Manager

Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed at ibis Leeds for 1 night without b'fast since we had to leave early the next morning.
From the little I stayed: it's a clean hotel - clean bed sheets and bathroom incl towels. Everything looks as clean as new. Rooms are nice and cosy - loved the stylish bathroom. Everything worked fine in the room. Reception staff were very friendly.

Also I really recommend this hotel especially because it seems safe - I forgot a little make up bag and they found it and kept it for me until I could arrange pick up. They also offered to mail it (if I pay for postage). I really appreciated this.

Would definitely return and I highly recommend it :)

Only downside is: no free wifi.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest, I was really pleased to read your review and I am so happy that we were able to help. I will ensure that my team read your review. They all work really hard so it’s nice when we receive such lovely comments
Kind Regards
Sarah Siddons, General Manager

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Good room very good bed ,blackout curtains so we slept well. Shower excellent and easy to find. Crossing road to the car park is not easy would have thought Leeds would have had a crossing with the planning permission. Slowing traffic on the roundabout would be a boon. present set up is a bit like Birmingham in the 1970's . I am a retired traffic engineer.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip. Kind regards Sarah Siddons, General Manager