“My 2nd visit - check in a farce, but hotel ok.”
Review of Ibis Leeds Centre

Ibis Leeds Centre
Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Sheffield, Uk
“My 2nd visit - check in a farce, but hotel ok.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was my 2nd visit to this hotel, and I arrived just after 5pm on a Friday evening - which is surely a busy time for hotels as a lot of customers would be arriving at that time for a weekend stay. Upon my arrival at said peak time, I was met by one person serving on reception. One person, trying to check in a large group of people ahead of me, and taking a very long time about it. I watched the receptionist check in each person or pair of persons - I saw her check the booking, issue a key card and take a pre-auth on their credit card. This should complete check-in, however for each person(s), the reception then continued to do - I don't know what - with each person. It was taking a long time to get through this large group.

All the time a second member of staff was stood behind reception, putting those large A4 sheets of paper that Ibis use upon check-in into the desk file. And this second person was also looking a bit lost, and a bit vacant - as if saying 'what am I supposed to be doing here?'. Throughout which, the queue was building up behind me (remember it's 5pm on Friday - busy time!).

A third member of staff came out from the back room and stood behind reception. She chatted to the other reception staff for a minute or two, then disappeared back into the back room.

And whilst all this was happening, I was getting very frustrated and annoyed. I was pacing up and down on the spot, and cursing under my breath "What are they doing?", "How much longer?", "Why can't the other person(s) serve?", and probably looking quite red-faced! My cursing was under my breath, it would have been completely inaudible to anyone listening.

By this time, I think the second receptionist who was doing her filing, must have noticed the look on my face (I wasn't smiling!) and spotted me pacing on the spot. She then called me over and started to check me in. Why couldn't she have done that sooner, especially as a queue was building up behind me?

I gave her my name, she couldn't find my reservation. I showed my credit card with my name on it (to ensure she heard my name correctly), she still couldn't find my reservation. I then presented a print-out of my confirmation email with my booking confirmation number, and she still couldn't find my reservation. The receptionist had to go and ask her colleague, who was STILL dealing with the previously mentioned large group of people, for help to find my reservation.

Once my reservation was located, the receptionist asked me to present my credit card for pre-auth, which is obviously standard practice. The pre-auth amount was £0.01. Yes, 1 penny! I can't work out why the hotel was wasting my time, by asking me to pre-auth 1 penny. I commented "1p?" to the receptionist, but given how long I'd been waiting to check in, I quickly entered my pin number to complete the process before the receptionist had chance to change the amount.

It took about 15 minutes from entering the hotel to completing the farce of a check-in. There is nothing that winds me up more in the retail industry (pubs, hotels, shops, cafes, etc) than one person serving - especially at a busy time of the day/week.

Once I got to my room, it was typical Ibis - absolutely fine. Well apart from there being no shower gel in the shower. The room (on the 12th floor) was very quiet, I heard no external or internal noise.

I'd certainly stay here again, but would hope for a better check-in experience next time.

Room Tip: The 12th floor is excellent, no noise at all!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richy-UK_1
IbisManagementTeam, Assistant Manager at Ibis Leeds Centre, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly. I hope we can welcome you back at Ibis Leeds Centre in the near future.

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Spacious rooms, excellent lobby. Super helpful staff.

The first part of the trip was a 1 night double bedroom was standard and no complaints to that.

What makes this worth the time of a review is the staff that helped me secure two extra nights due to a S.O being in hospital. No hassle and even change the room to lower floor to accommodate the S.O type of injury.

Would stay again. Not a far walk to the light and two casinos right outside. Thanks!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael C
IbisManagementTeam, Assistant Manager at Ibis Leeds Centre, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Scotland
Reviewed 18 July 2014

For chain hotels in this type of category, this Ibis came out pretty well. Nice welcome, decent sized room with a good shower, and an ok breakfast buffet. It's not somewhere you would come away inspired from, but for a decent nights kip in a comfortable bed, which is what I was after, hard to nit-pick really.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TwoCarpets
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I got a room for £21.50 and Didn't expect much but the hotel is modern, staff friendly and the room comfortable. Can't fault it. Bit of a gauntlet to walk to but that's no reflection on the hotel.
I've added a couple of photos so take a look.

Book it you won't regret it.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Elmashpotato
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Ibis Leeds Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed one night as in Leeds for a gig. Basic hotel but you know that already. No complaints at all - very clean, good shower, extremely comfortable bed and a great night's sleep. Would stay again. without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank artfirenze
IbisManagementTeam, Assistant Manager at Ibis Leeds Centre, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a kind review further to your stay with us at Ibis Leeds Centre. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just what you need for a night out, is a slight trek from the train station. Rooms are very clean and large enough for two people; cool pod like bathrooms and beds average (comfy enough). Cheep enough for what you need on a budget, tight security at weekends so no one can sneak in. TGI Friday's right opposite which is a bonus!!! Not that noisy when we stayed but suppose that can depend on groups that are staying.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a review further to your recent stay with us at Ibis Leeds Centre. Feedback is very much appreciated. We hope to see you on your next visit to Leeds.

Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Got an upgrade from the Ibis budget. Great location. Comfortable rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff especially on reception. Drinks a little pricey but that's to be expected. Free Wi-Fi is a bonus.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind review further to your recent 'upgraded' stay with us at Ibis Leeds Centre. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.