“Great brunch!”

The Soul Kitchen
Ranked #884 of 1,857 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$5 - US$36
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Home Cooked Recipes with a soul food twist.Inspired by the classic dishes of the deep south, Caribbean and Creole cuisine. All our food is fresh and cooked to perfection for an authentic taste.
“Great brunch!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Popped in on the off chance, and happened upon a great brunch menu, tried the pulled pork benedict, and with a bit more kick from lashings of tabasco sauce I had a great flavourful brunch. Papers on hand and great service. I'll be returning!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, disappointing service!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited the Soul kitchen on Friday night after hearing good things about it from a friend.

I ordered the chicken and my partner ordered a burger - both were cooked well and very tasty! We got a complimentary portion of honey butter bread and chunky soup which was a great touch too.

Unfortunately we felt the night was spoiled a little by the poor service from the waitress we had. When we had finished our meals and the plates were taken away we waited absolutely ages for her to come over so we could ask for the bill. In the end we had to get up and ask for it. Then, again, we waited so long for her to come over we had to get up again and ask if we could pay!

There was only one other table there the entire time we dined so I don't really understand how she managed to forget about us!

When she finally brought the card machine over I was disappointed that she didn't ask how our evening was and didn't ask why I had barely touched my cocktail - if she had have done I would have explained it had too many sloppy pieces of strawberry in so neither me or my partner could drink it!

Then I asked if she could ring us a taxi - something I have done many times before in restaurants without any problems I'm pretty sure this is normal practise - but she seemed surprised and instead offered to give us a number for a taxi! I asked if she could ring one for us and she agreed in the end - but after the long wait for service through the night my partner decided it would be best if we called ourselves so we weren't left waiting!

Really a shame not the best way to end what could have been a perfect evening - and with only one other table dining this really isn't acceptable! Sadly we would not return!

2 Thank Bella C
“Could have been a contender”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit, we visited previously with friends and had a fab time but we wrote an E-mail as a few things were under par. We got a really positive response and we're invited to return. The service last night was exceptional. The waiter was friendly, chatty and attentive- a credit to the place. We had whitebait and crabcakes to start, followed by a black and blue burger and an over the road burger, both with chunky chips. All the dishes were cooked well, the whitebait melted in my mouth, and the flavour of the crabcakes was well balanced. Chips were tasty, perhaps a little too chunky (yes, realise they are called chunky chips!). Just a few things I would perhaps like to see change...all of the dishes were over salted, especially the crabcakes and the b&b burger. The burger patties crumbled apart. Not sure if it's that they were seasoned before cooking which drew the moisture out of them? Should stress they tasted fab, but perhaps the cut of meat used for the mince was too lean hence their texture. Lastly, the Wardrobe, especially the decor, mood and brilliant burlesque night is spot on atmosphere-wise but I think the menu choices don't reflect soul food as much as they could. I can see why this might happen,
traditional US soulfood might
not have the catch-all appeal that, say 'Red's' does, but does Leeds need another Red's? Overall, a good meal, excellent service in great surroundings.

1 Thank jameselliker
england
“Wouldnt go again horrible food no flavour.”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Me and my friends came here for a meal we were all very disappointed with the food everything we ordered didnt taste of anything . And my steak was drowning in bbq sauce which had also set and formed a skin on top of my steak it was horrible .

London, United Kingdom
“poor customer service, standard food...would not recommend”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Me and my boyfriend went here earlier in the week. As we walked in I heard one of the workers make a rude comment about me but I just ignored it, me and my partner were hungry and we had to catch the coach back to London soon. Once we sat down we were given the lunch menu, we couldn't order form the main menu which was a shame as it had a lot more choice. The lunch menu also offered NO sides which was very odd! Anyway, my boyfriend ordered a burger and chips with coleslaw, and I ordered the macaroni cheese. They did not bother to ask how my boyfriend would like his burger cooked. The burger was nothing to write home about, pretty standard and dry, not very flavourful and the chips were disgusting and oily! My macaroni cheese was pretty standard, not very cheesy, bland and the topping was strange! The price was rather good for two meals though. But I would never return to this place, or recommend it to anyone... such a shame as I was expecting good things.

• Visited April 2014
TomMou, Manager at The Soul Kitchen, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hi Jabeyrocks,

I am incredably disapointed to hear that you had a poor experience at the Soul Kitchen. Would it be possible to contact me on tom@stewandoyster.co.uk in order to give me a bit more information as to when you visited and what time so I can look into what happened and who was working on that paticular day.

As way of an apology for the poor customer service, I would like to welcome you back as my guest in order to show you that this was an unfortunate one off and not the level of food quality and service that we deliver at the Soul Kitchen. Once you've contact me, I will make the nessesary arrangments for you.

Kind Regards