“A grain of sand growing in an oyster...”
Review of Harry's Bar & Brasserie - CLOSED

Harry's Bar & Brasserie
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A grain of sand growing in an oyster...”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This restaurant deserves serious attention for people who enjoy original good quality food. The chef is producing excellent food and the service is friendly and the good side of attentive :)

The decor and furniture is a little rustic, but please don't let this put you off. The food is the star of the show.

I have visited twice recently, and both meals have been perfect. It is difficult to praise one thing above another, but, the pheasant and rabbit rillettes starter I had was superb.

• Visited January 2014

West Yorkshire
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Visited at 1pm for Sunday lunch. There was a 2 4 1 offer on for 2 or 3 course lunch. We were greeted very warmly and the waitress was excellent with our 2 children. I asked if the children could have a half portion, they were very accommodating and said anything on the menu could be sized down. I had the pork and my husband the beef. Both were very good. We then had dessert and again the children choice of all the desserts but a smaller portion. Excellent value for money and excellent service. The setting is quaint and cosy very small and I highly recommend you try it.

• Visited January 2014
UK
“Great value”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Pretty quiet lunch. Thought the 2 and 3 course lunch represented fantastic value. Presentation was modern, fresh and appealing. Had the wild boar for starters and turbot for mains. Other half soup and chicken. 3 courses of this quality for under 20 quid... That's a steal......

Leeds
“Avoid ”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and myself had passed Harry's on a number of occasions and thought the menu and interior looked great and perfect for a pre-Christmas meal. We called at 6pm on Saturday and were told we could be seated at 8pm that evening. On arriving we were shown to our table, the blonde waitress was very friendly and took our wine order. The problem started once our starter arrived. My partner noticed there were a few flies around. When we looked up there were about 30-40 fruit flies circling above us. A few then landed on our starter!! Needless to say we didn't want to eat anymore. Our waitress informed who appeared to be the manager who replied with "we've never had anyone complain about that before! I'll speak to the chef (!?)". She then moved us to a bar table with high stools which faced the kitchen washing up area and a bin which was swarming with more flies...."you're near the fly light here, so you shouldn't have any more problems", she claimed. After explaining that staring at a bin wasn't really what we had in mind for our evening, she merely moved the bin out of sight without saying a word...in doing so releasing another swarm of flies. Revolting.
At this point we asked whether it would be possible to pay for what we had had and leave...we were told that our mains were ready so we may as well eat them. We were moved to a table that was booked for someone else (they were consequently seated in amongst the flies) and our mains were served. Feeling more than a little awkward we ate the mains which were nothing to write home about (risotto tasted of nothing but the raw onions which dominated it). we then asked for the bill and to our shock we had been charged for everything...the starter which we barely touched due to the flies and the mains which we had stated we didn't want. The manager then came over with some 25% off tokens (given to all customers) and stated "when you come again, we'll make sure we don't sit you over there". There won't be a next time. Flies and rude staff are not my idea of an enjoyable evening out.
Plenty of other restaurants providing good food in nice environments in the area. Avoid Harry's.

2 Thank holibags2010
West Yorkshire
“Delicious food, excellent service, will definitely be back!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My brother and I chanced upon Harry's Bar last Saturday night around 9pm and by some huge stroke of luck got a table for two. I can't imagine that will ever happen again as once word gets out about this place it'll probably be fully booked for weeks. The restaurant itself is warm, inviting and relaxing, like being at an old friend's house, there are only a handful of tables in one cosy room. The staff are all happy, friendly and very attentive, we really felt like they enjoyed us being there and they couldn't do enough to make sure we had a great time. The food was quirky but not pretentious and it was obvious that they only use the best ingredients, the flavours were outstanding. They even had japanese whisky on the menu for after-dinner drinks. I have already told everyone about our lovely evening and we will definitely be heading back to try more of the delicious menu soon. A must try. Thank you.

• Visited December 2013