“Pleasant and Polite”
Review of Moorlea Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leeds
Moorlea Hotel
Ranked #64 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Pleasant and Polite”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

From the moment we entered into the hotel; we were welcomed warmly, courteously and politely by the patron of the hotel and his friend. They both took an interest in where we were from and how had our journey been and were very polite and welcoming in their conversations. They were informative and helpful with directions which we required and made us feel valued as guests in the hotel. The room was excellent and even though the toilet was out of use in the en-suite; an alternative was offered and a reduction of the price of our stay was agreed. We enjoyed a well cooked and presented breakfast and overall enjoyed our stay there.

2 Thank allison i

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Elland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We needed a place to stay near to the University and the Moorlea was very cheaply priced for Leeds city centre. The owner emailed me shortly after booking to ask when we expected to arrive and wish us a safe journey, which I though was a nice touch. Stayed in room 3 which was spotless. The room, and indeed most of the hotel was immaculate and appears to have been recently refurbished. Continental breakfast was included in the cost of the room. I can highly recommend the Moorlea and imagine I will be staying there again in the future.

1 Thank Lee R
Bangkok
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Moorlea is located in a nice neighbourhood. The hosts were very friendly and easy going when checking in/out. They charge for an English breakfast but continental was free - and okay (although nothing spectacular either).

Now the bad news:
- The house is really, really, REALLY clairaudient. We stayed in room #3 and could hear our neighbour in room #4 hear BREATHING (no joke!). Also, you get easily woken up if your neighbour walks to the bed as the floor cracks so loud you think the person stands in your room. You can also hear everything which is done in the bathroom and you can also easily follow conversations or other sounds in other rooms of the house.
- Our room was very dirty and the bed must be about 30 years+ old. Dirty not in you-see-the-dirt-on-the-floor-dirty but since I am a dust mite allergic, I get lung problems, running eyes and sneezing-attacks when rooms are not cleaned properly over a long period and especially the bed is not clean (a very reliable test about the cleanliness of rooms). My attacks were the worst I have ever come across (and I have been travelling a lot). Only due to medication was I able to sleep. You could also fell the springs in your back from the mattress.

Overall it is a cheap place to stay and if you dont have any great expections, you could go for it and have a chat with the nice hosts. However, if you are an dust-mite allergic or need a good nights sleep/are searching for a quiet place, I recommend you do not book the Moorlea.

Room Tip: Not room #3 or room #4 since you will hear your neighbour breathe (no joke!)
2 Thank Peter M
Blagnac
Reviewed 12 May 2012

A perfectly clean room. Friendly and helpful welcome. The staff couldn't do enough to help and advise us. They will be seeing me during all the school hols next year to visit my daughter who will be studying in Leeds. If only they could have stopped the rain, only joking!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DeborahBlagnac
Godalming
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We booked 3 rooms for one night before my son's graduation at Leeds University. The staff were friendly and the rooms were quite reasonably priced with 1 single room with wash basin, 1 single with shared bathroom and a double ensuite.

Glad we were so close to Leeds Uni as it would have been too much of a rush if we had not been within such short walking distance.

Loved the cooked breakfast - the only thing that REALLY got my back up was that they wanted more money for proper coffee which I have never had to do before at a B+B or hotel. We were told the money goes to charity - to be honest I couldn't care less where the money goes -it just annoyed me that we had to all fork out extra. I don't drink instant coffee!

Apart from that I would recommend this hotel

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank IngGodalming
Lancashire England
Reviewed 10 December 2011

After reading two previous bad reviews (which I think is fairly obvious were the same person) I phoned the hotel before booking and spoke to this "terrible racist person" who of course was nothing of the sort!
I booked and then arrived on a Saturday afternoon and found both the owners really nice and chatty with good advice.
We were not shown to our room, however, but were given the keys and told to go to room 3.
Not the largest room in the world, but it was ensuite and that was all we required.
During the night, however someone from room 4 (next door) got out of bed and the noise of the creaking floor boards woke us up (the walls are not very thick either) but it was only £50 per night for two of us which is very reasonable for Leeds.
Breakfast was cereal,tea or coffee and juice and toast unless you wanted a cooked breakfast for £5
Overall the stay was good and cost effective, thank you

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesPne
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed in a non en-suite room, I found no inconveniece with this, the communal bathrooms were clean and comfortable. The location is great for the Universities, Headingly or Leeds City Centre. The cooked breakfast is an optional extra, and great. The staff I met were fantasically helpful, friendly and a pleasure to speak to. It was exceptional value for money compared with the city hotels and I wanted for nothing. I booked online, and was contacted to get an estimation on when I would be arriving. The directions provided were clear and easy to follow.
In short I found it Friendly, Clean, Comfortable and Great Value, it's a lovely little bed and breakfast, and I will gladly stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends