“horrible, not recommended at all!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Moorlea Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leeds
Moorlea Hotel
Ranked #63 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Manchester, United Kingdom
“horrible, not recommended at all!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

I found the Moorlea B&B very unfriendly place and not welcoming at all! I had a bad experience staying at this B &B for two nights for a conference in Leeds University. The room was very small, not well-equipped and not that clean. The remote control for the TV did not work, the shower did not work properly, and there was no hair dryer in the room. The manager showed unprofessional and disrespectful behaviour when he engaged in a conversation with me that was loaded with racist comments and really inappropriate remarks. I was so mad that I wanted to leave the place and never go back. I really did not expect such a racist behaviour from a manager that runs a business that depends on catering tourists and people from abroad.

The place was also expensive, considering that it charges for breakfast, which is really unusual! The continental breakfast was very simple, and not that nice. In short, it was not very unpleasant experience, and I will never ever go back again and I do not recommend it to anybody!

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank visitorleeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

I have recently stayed at the Moorlea because of a conference. I have to say I have been to many B&Bs in the U.K., this one simply is the worst I have ever been to. I wanted to check in earlier than I planned. When I get to the door nobody answered me. When I re-checked in later and mentioned I wanted to check in earlier, the answer I was given was a very brutal one: "Well, we can't be here all day, we have our own lives. "--I was stunned. Come on, you are in the service industry. If you are to run a B&B seriously, you need to be there 7/24.

Then the most bizzare thing happening to me is that they charge me extra for cooked breakfast. This is understandable if they explain to me upon my arrival or when I am ordering breakfast. But you can't leave it until the last minute or never explain it to me. My experience is that upon the time I checked out, I was told to pay extra pounds without any explanation. I thought the guy was either joking with me or trying to nick me so I just left. I soon found my credit card was charged by the hotel without earlier /formal notice. It is only under my phone inquiry repeatedly that they are able to explain to me the reason for extra charge.

I mean it's quite an unusual practice for any B&B to charge extra for breakfast . But not explaining that to your customers is almost like doing an indecent business. No wonder they call themselves "hotel" just to sidestep the B&B commitment of providing free cooked breakfast.

What pissed me off most is the way the black guy at the hotel treat me and my colleagues. He launched a racist attack to one of my Iraqy colleagues, complaining that the taxi-drivers in Leeds are not working because of their Islamic holidays. And from the beginning to the end, he never shows the least friendliness or courtsey we deserve from the business.

On the whole, I think people running this "hotel" are extremely unprofessional, unfriendly and hostile to foreigners. I strongly suggest a boycott against this "hotel", especially those who come from a different culture and expect hospitality from a standard English B&B. It's a shame to see this hotel makes profit for its location near the University of Leeds, while making those who come to stay here because their relation to the University extremely disspointed with the experience they had.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank anger1234
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

Was very happy with a recent stay at the Moorlea in Leeds. It's in a nice leafy, quiet area, just down the street from the university. Takes about 15-20 minutes to walk into the town centre. The building is an old red-brick Victorian terrace. While it doesn't have much in the way of original features left inside, it's clean and has a newly installed bathroom (shared) on the first floor. Bed was very comfortable. Would recommend staying here for cleanliness and decent value.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank archivesjunkie
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

If you're happy with a basic, clean room in a good location, then the Moorlea is fine. However, although the weather was not unseasonally cold, the room was. And to compound the problem, the duvets are too short for a tall man.
The power shower never exceeded a trickle and varied from freezing cold to pretty damn hot with just the slightest touch of the control.
The old fashioned TV had three channels but couldn't deliver BBC1.
The management are friendly and there is parking right outside with a complimentary permit, which is a great bonus.
The breakfast is basic and limited to one hour.
Not a bad place to stay at the price, but not the greatest either.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rockystone_99
lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

Forget corporate hotels when visiting Leeds - the Moorlea offers something more - great facilites including internet access, parking and best of all individual attention from Albert and Adele. I really couldn't ask for more from a B&B, great rates too! Moorlea is my favourite accomodation when visitng Leeds and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ditetley
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

I would recommend The Moorlea to anyone visiting Leeds University. Albert was wonderful - he couldn't have been more helpful and easy-going. The room was warm and cosy. The beds were comfy with spotless bedlinen. I was so glad that I choose it over a budget chain hotel.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

I stayed at this hotel with two teenagers to visit Leeds university campus. We had a room with four beds which was very spacious, extremely clean and comfortable. The en-suite shower room and toilet was also spotless and the free toiletries were lovely.

Breakfast was included in the very reasonable price and was very good. The hotel is only five minutes walk from the campus and about 10 minutes walk from the centre of the city.

The welcome was very friendly and the staff were very helpful. I was even given a parking permit to enable me to park outside all day long.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to someone needing a convenient and comfortable overnight stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family