“ok have had better reception”

Clayton Hotel Leeds
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 30 May 2014

hotel was fine but the service desk were not very happy - they were very helpful when i asked them lots of questions but all a bit of an effort. Rooms were fine. Room service a bit hit and miss - couldn't do anytihng off the menu and the person that answered the phone really didnt know anything about the menu or what could and couldnt be done.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear penrosemoos,

Many thanks for taking the time to review and give your feedback.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of information shared whilst placing your room service order. This has been addressed with the team and I expect an improvement in this moving forwards. Similarly with reception, who have been reminded of the levels of expectation we have with regards to our hospitality.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel was recommended to me by a work colleague who stays there on a regular basis - Positives were the friendly and professional staff, free on site car parking and spacious and clean rooms - I stayed in a corporate room on the 8th floor which I understand is the hotels best rooms and was certainly not disappointed - Very good value for the price I paid and would certainly stay at this hotel again - One downside was the breakfast which was a bit like a 'bun fight' and reminded me of when I was back at school - A lovely lady serving you as you worked your way along the line but have to be honest and for me although the food looked okay I found it tasteless and all a bit frantic? - As other reviewers have mentioned this hotel is in a wonderful central location with many other places to eat so close by and for future visits I would choose to eat out of the hotel.

Dear J7EFK,

Many thanks for taking the time to review and your positive comments. It is great to read that you enjoyed your first visit with us. As I have mentioned to an earlier reviewer, we have changed our menus and now we feel our offering is much more relevant and has been well received. Breakfast does continue to have it's peak times, which we are adressing trhough our traffic light notice!

Thank you again for your review and hope we can welcome you back to Bewleys Leeds very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stay here regularly when working in Leeds. Conveniently located, mainly business-orientated, just a short walk to city centre, or for sports fans a short drive to Elland Road or Headingley. Rooms are good-sized, always clean, well equipped with tea/coffee, free safe, firm but comfortable beds. Hotel restaurant food is fairly good, but there are a lot go excellent eateries within half a mile or so too, and the nearby Grove pub serves great hand-pull beers and pub grub.

Room Tip: Some rooms suffer from early morning noise from the adjacent main road, ask for even numbers from 30...

Dear TheBonzNottingham!

Thank you very much for your review.

It's great to see you enjoy staying with us and a great mention for The Inkwell. We are trying to go for that 'gastro-pub' feel in the bar and glad to see that has come across.

Thanks again and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I were booked into this hotel by her company so that we could attend a Gala Dinner they had organised.
The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the railway station and situated on a fairly busy road. Having said that, it wasn't noticable once inside. While waiting for our room to be ready we had a drink in the bar which is large, with comfortable seating and very friendly staff. Check-in, after 2pm, went very smoothly.
Our room was on the 6th floor and was very comfortable. The view was over the busy road I mentioned. The bathroom was very well appointed, with a marble wash-stand. It was very clean and showed no sign of damp or mould in the bath/shower area. I was impressed! It was probably the location on the 6th floor, but it was quite a big room, with plenty of space for the table and two comfy chairs!!
The restaurant was very nice, the staff competent, the food tasty and with a good menu. Breakfast was a queue up and be served, cafeteria style, but was tasty and hot, with a great selection.
I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone wanting a decent base for visiting Leeds.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are better quality.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Calum K,

Many thanks for taking the time to review and post your positive comments.

It is always a pleasure top read when guests enjoy their stay!

I hope we can welcome you back to Bewleys very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The standard double i stayed in was spacious and well maintained. In fact the hotel was spotless throughout. The bar is welcoming and has daily offers on drinks and bar food. The breakfast [served in the restaurant] is fresh and although it is buffet-style it is "assisted" by a chef looking after the hot food. Good selection of drinks and breads/fruit too. Car parking undergorund is £10 a night which is reasonable for city centre. The hotel is 30 seconds from the motorway so great access. And walking distance from the city centre. Check out was fast and efficient. Only grumble is no toiletaries in bathroom other than generic body/hair wash dispenser in shower.

Room Tip: As the htoel is on the ring road you shoud ask for a room on one of the higher floors. I satyed on t...

Dear wallybazoom,

Thank you very much for your review and comments.

It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to Bewleys very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really good stay here, room was excellent, I paid for a double and got the larger family room,whilst its away from Leeds centre it is only a 5 min walk,hotel staff great,also they have security staff on at nighttime so when you arrive back you are asked your room number and names of guests so this stops people coming into the hotel at night who are not staying there which is good for security,all room amenities were great and a great bathroom/shower,all in all great stay and would definitely stay at a Bewleys again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Julie19664,

Many thanks for taking the time to review and your positive comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to Bewleys very soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed recently for two weeks for a course, which was also delivered at the hotel. Firstly, all the staff are great, very helpful, friendly, polite and accommodating, they were all lovely. The hotel is clean and the reception area is very nice, as is the bar.

The room was functional and clean, although I did not understand why there is an ecological/environmental mission statement in the bathroom about not replacing towels unless you leave them on the floor ( saving washing/water/electricity etc). I and my colleagues ALL had our towels replaced every single day, even though we had all indicated we would reuse them by hanging them back up.

The two other niggles in the room were that you could not use the hairdryer AND stand or sit in front of the mirror as the cord was only a certain length and would not stretch, and in my room the light switch was too far to be reached from my bed ( a large book or a remote control allowed me to reach it to hit it off).

The main problem with Bewleys is the kitchen when it comes to lunch and evening meals ( breakfast was always excellent, it must be said). The bar menu is very basic, and delivers very small portions. I also feel that the kitchen scrimps a lot when it comes to the some of the dishes. A Caesar salad was £9.50, for an extra £2 you would get a dessertspoon measure of salmon flakes on it, or three to four slices of chicken breast, it could also be described as Caesar soup with some lettuce floating in it. The other salads were so small in portion that an hour after eating it for lunch, I and a colleague were ordering more food at the bar as we were so hungry. Don't even attempt the fish board, half of the items were either missing or not as described and was enough to put me off fish forever. Also, at £8.50 for a bite size bits of salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring and missing prawns its an absolute rip off. The kitchen regularly failed to pass information to the waiting staff, meaning we were often revisited after our order was taken to be advised there was not that item available, and by Thursday half of the menu in the Brasserie had run out, including - all of things - rocket leaves. The kitchen just felt inconsistent, one of my dishes was much smaller in size with a very thin piece of salmon tail whereas a fellow diner had a bigger portion and a decent darne of salmon.

I could illustrate more examples ( frozen cheesecake not defrosted before serving) but that would seem petty. When everything else works very nicely, the kitchen for lunch and evening meals, which is so key to a good hotel really let Bewleys down.

1  Thank Hereandnow2014

Dear hereandnow2014,

Many thanks for your review. It is great to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you.

With regards to the consistent food errors, I must apologise on behlaf of the Chef and the kitchen team. We dropped the ball and we have taken the opporunity to address the issues. We have introdcued new menus, training the new kitchen team on the dishes and since your stay we have certiankly enjoyed a raft of psoitive feedback on the improvements.

Thanks you again for your commetns and I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.